Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Beginner ARF slope glider

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Dunqun-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner ARF slope glider

Hi, I have a standard servo/receiver set already and I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive ARF slope glider to put them in. There's a really great slope near where I work and I would love to be able to fly at lunchtime. I am told winds there go from 5-40 mph, but I probably wouldn't take it out over 25 at first.

I am a beginner, would love to have ailerons, but would take any advice on what plane to get.

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 08-20-2003, 01:28 AM
nm5s

Default How about these?

I consider myself a beginner, though I've been at that level for quite some time.
I recommend an EPP flying wing like the Zagi IIIC or the Bee. I have the Bee and prefer its no glue assembly. None of that super sticky 3M spray glue. I had my Bee ready in an evening. It has survived 10's of very hard downwind crashes and countless cartwheels and other crashes too numerous to catalogue. The worst damage was a broken receiver crystal ($8). I have replaced the elevons (cheap) and retaped some and this wing flies well. I have hours of slope soaring with it. I really like it. No need for a landing area.....the trees and rocks are OK. I got mine off Ebay. A lighter Zagi THL or other similar planform with other less durable foam will float higher under light conditions, but I'll take the EPP. I've hit the ground so hard that it bounced up to about 10' high AND I just relaunched it!
Old 08-20-2003, 02:25 AM
evlwevl-RCU

Default Id look at one of these if your going aileron

I dont know of any ARF slope kits that are available locally or even affordable ie. composite ships. You will probably have to build no matter what you purchase but it is not that difficult if you have basic modeling skills. I learned with an EPP warbird myself and it took a lot of abuse such as inverted crash landings and monster cartwheels all the way over the backside of the hill.

Either way you look at it, if your still learning, your going to probably crash it which should not be a major problem with either a zagi or Epp warbird. I have both a zagi and warbird myself and I like warbirds a little more, because frankly, the zagi type wings get rather boring after a while especially soon after you learn to fly which doesnt take long. With a warbird, you get more of a sence of scale and realistic flight, and if and when your ready, you can add ballast to really make it go fast and carry energy through your your turns and dives.

I dont own this brand myself and am flying composites now, but if I were to do it all over again, I'd personally try any one of these

http://home.earthlink.net/~pattonacft/P-51B.htm

because I've seen them perform and they totally out perform any other Epp warbird on the slope I fly at. I think its partly the airfoil design and foam density they use, but the Patton planes I've seen up at the hill seem to have a more solid feel when you pick them up. Furthermore, try to stay with at least a 48" wingspan as the smaller ones get hard to see especially when you venture out from the hill a little.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:55 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunqun,
I go with the other replies about an EPP plane. Unfortunately, they don't come as ARFs, but they are pretty easy to build and go together pretty quick.
If you still want to go the ARF route, check out Tower Hobbies for the Ripmax "Coyote" and "Stargazer". Both are ARFs, and are fairly inexpensive.
I've got a Coyote. It's a copy of the old Hobby Shack "Ridge Runt" (alas, no longer produced) and it's a great flier. The only drawback is that it has a built-up balsa wing, which might make it a bit fragile for a rank beginner (a lot depends on what kind of landing zone your site has). It uses standard size radio equipment and has ailerons. Mine has proven to be pretty tough.
The stargazer is a bit larger and has a sheeted foam wing, which might make it a bit tougher. It uses 2 mini servos for the ailerons. It looks like a fairly straightforward machine, but I haven't flown it.
Those are about the only inexpensive slope ARFs I can think of. Whatever you decide, I know you'll have fun. Slope is a great time!
papermache
Old 08-22-2003, 05:51 AM
lvspark

how about a tough, quickbuilding spad?

or a mugi?