Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

2 Meter Electric Sailplane Recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

2 Meter Electric Sailplane Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 08:54 PM
KamikaziRcPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Meter Electric Sailplane Recommendations

I'm looking to purchase a 2 meter class electric powered sailplane and wanted to get some input. I currently own a Spirit and have had good luck with it so far. Online, I've looked at:

Goldberg Electra
Kyosho Ciero
Thunder Tiger Windstar
Ripmax Evolution Start

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2003, 01:12 AM
Don T. - NN4S
My Feedback: (1)

Of the three I have personal experience with (Electra, Eclipse and Skimmer), I found the Skimmer ($33 from Hobby Lobby Int.) to give me the best bang for the buck. Even if the $$$ weren't considered it's the best flying one of the bunch IMHO. I've a friend who built a Spectra and was amazed at the difference in performance between our planes (which were both built according to the kit recommendations). Mine would climb out like a homesick angel while his struggled to altitude; both thermalled okay but his didn't groove like mine (polyhedral versus dihedral makes the difference). I could also get three climbs to altitude from a charge with an 1800 mAH seven cell pack to his two climbs with the same. My Skimmer has the Speed 600 and Graupner 8-4.5 folding prop (direct drive) and uses a pair or mini servos and a small ESC with prop brake. I get about 12 minutes per climb without any big thermals, making most of the flights for this plane approximately 40 minutes long. Because of this I replaced the BEC equipped ESC with another and use a 270 mAH pack for the radio gear so that I wouldn't have to worry about running out of juice to fly the thing if the BEC failed. It's one of the few planes that I just can't get rid of because it flies so well!

Good luck on your choice of planes; may whichever one you choose serve you well!
Old 08-29-2003, 04:14 AM
Proace

I am partial to Goldburg kits for the learning curve.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:25 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

I like this one:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/filip600.htm

I have a little write up on it on my page:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/r/fritzthecat/filip600.html

Fritz
Old 08-30-2003, 11:50 PM
SoarNeck

Hi Fritz,

Nice writeup on the Filip, but why were you running a gearbox on the 30-3? It will happily spin a 12x7 on 10 or 12 cells direct, which gives good thrust. The same motor, 2:1 on 12 cells and a 16x10 prop will hover a ModelTech Magic.

Don't give up on the Jeti, you're just running it under-loaded.