Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

TheWorldModels Skywalker 400 class

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

TheWorldModels Skywalker 400 class

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 AM
DeaninMilwaukee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TheWorldModels Skywalker 400 class

I haven't seen anything on this plane in a long time, so I thought I'd mention it here. Skywalker Glider. I got mine around 5 years ago.

It comes with a geared 400 motor setup that would work ok with 2s lipo, but since I wanted to go 3s, I swapped it out for a gws eps400 set. The much bigger gear reduction the gws set had also allowed a much larger prop, a Cam 12x6 folder. This setup is good, with climb rate Motocalc predicted at over 1000 ft/min, but if I was to do it again there are many far lighter brushless setups I would probally use instead. Mines still light at 20 oz, and thats with a 3.5 oz motor. My only other mod was to add reflective tape to the wings and tail to make it easier to see when its stupid high. This works well, the planes a speck, but I keep seeing flashes of light.

The plane itself is a sweet flyer, about as gentle as you could hope for, and is essentially unstallable. Pull up hard, ( not under power) and the nose rises, a bit, stops, drops a bit and starts flying again. It circles very tightly, perhaps 10 ft diameter, which allow it to stay right in small thermals and also makes its long glide slope no problem for landing. I just circle right in front of myself till it almost touches down, then release rudder and flair for landing. Its going so slow it doesn't really even slide.

Anyways, I just wanted to make sure people don't forget about this one. Its well worth the money.

Dean in Milwaukee