Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Do you use FrSky Modules and Receivers?

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Do you use FrSky Modules and Receivers?

I have doing a lot of reading laterly about 2.4 GHz module based systems. I am moving my 72 MHz systems all over to 2.4.

I started moving my lower end small electrics and slope glidersto Spektrum DSM2 via a module in my Futaba 9C Super radio. Since DSMX is not available in a module I went looking for a high end system for my large contest gliders. I may fly these at large events so I want something stronger than DSM2.

My High end stuff is going to Futaba FASST via a module in my other 9C Super. 2 Supras, an AVA and a Graphite D-Box.

However, during my reading on other forums I came across GLOWING reports for the FrSky module based system and receivers. So I thought I would bring this to RCUand see what the experience is among those in the sailplanecommunity.

If you use a FrSky module in your radio, tell us about your experience.

How long have you been flying FrSky?

What kinds of planes do you fly?

Has it been reliable?

Would you recommend it to others?

Anything else you would like to tell us? Please feel free.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM
kwmtrubrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you use FrSky Modules and Receivers?

Hey aeajr,

I saw your post and looked as I'm "kind of" interested in converting my 9cSuper to 2.4 on some of my planes too. I did some looking and although there's a bunch of stuff out there, I randomly looked at these two sites below. One fairly positive and one not so.

http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=636 (this has a you tube video atteched)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYj1t5Dh_6E

Keith
Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 AM
gwapoguy
My Feedback: (1)

I have around 6 of the FrSky 2.4GHz, FASST 7 ch receivers. They are in a mix of sail planes and powere planes. I am using them with a set of Futaba 10CAG, 10CAP, 9CAP and a couple of 8U's with FASST modules.
When I first purchased a FrSky around a year ago, I did some extensive range testing against a standard Futaba receiver as well as installing it in one of my old trainers and boring many holes in the sky. I had no problems what so ever. So I purchased a few more and so forth and so on.
I fly with these FrSky receivers all the time and so far they have been just fine.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM
LovesToSail

I as well have switched to the FrSky 2.4 GHz solution with telemetry. In all fairness, I have little time in air with it - maybe 6 -8 hours? I used Fly Dream 2.4 for last year or so and decided I wanted/needed telemetry.

I went with the FlySky 9x (with ER9x firmware) transmitter so that I had integrated telemetry. This lets me see received signal strength (at receiver), LiPo voltage as well as BEC voltage. I also have altitude on my screen (which is quite useless for the pilot but great for buddy to read off). Because this system gives all of this data, it gives me a warm fuzzy because I know longer guess on LiPo voltage or the received signal strength (am I in range). I can't tell you the number of times I ditched a thermal because I was worried about pack voltage - no more.

Scott

PS
Dodgson 134" Windsong
Craft Air Viking
Airtronics Legend
Goldberg Gentle Lady
Airtronics Sagitta 900
3 Transmitters in use
1 FlySky 9x with Fly Dream 2.4 (for park and smaller planes - very light)
1 FlySky 9x with FrSky 2.4 (for bigger planes/sailplanes) with integrated Telemetry
1 Hitec Eclipse 7 with Fly 2.4 (backup only now)

Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 PM
TexasThermalKing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello "aeajr",

Yes, I use the FrSky Diy V8HT 2.4 ghz module in my AIrtronics Vision 8SP, I use the FrSky 2.4 ghz Futaba type plug in module in my Ace MicroPro 8 that was convereted for a plug in module, and eight of my other radios like the Futaba 6EX, Airtronics Infinity, and the plain old 4 and five channel radios that used to be 72mhz FM radios.  

I often fly my sailplanes out to the edge of sight, and often in areas with main line, high voltage electrical transmission lines within 1 mile.  Being on the coast of Texas and having 90 to 100 percent humidity on most days, the HV lines can be heard to crackle if you are within 600 feet of them.   This is a real pain for FM RC radios, but not a problem for the 2.4 ghz it seems.    The FrSky conversions have been excellent for me and my merry band of young flyers I sponsor.

The FrSky equipment is really cheap.  The conversions are easy to do to any radio.  The recievers, even with full telemetry are great on price, and flawless (For Me So Far)  in reception and execution in all the ranges and environments I've flown.   I'm not a FrSky dealer, not a hobby shop owner.  I'm just a guy with 9 grandkids, 5 flying sailplanes and electric planes, that had 13 radios he needed to get up on 2.4 ghz....for all the great reasons 2.4ghz is better.

I liked being able to convert the computer based Vision, MicroPro, Futaba, and Infinity.......so I could use what I know.  I'd love to have a new Airtronics SD-10......but I'd have to learn the new programing...and now that the radios I have,  are doing a great Job, there's just no need. 

Let me say that my limit in sight is way beyond any of my friends, and my largest sailplane the  "Southern Cross", with 164 inch wingspan, and 13 inch chord..................is way out there, over the flat coastal salt grass plain...when it gets hard to see at altitude.   It's a great test of distance for the FrSky eguipment.  It works just fine.   So don't be worried by the low price, the FrSky does just fine.

I converted two HIGH DOLLAR FM radios for my giant scale buddies for free.  They put the transmitter conversions and recievers to the test...beyond anything I ever ask of my planes.  The FrSky have been used in their huge high dollar planes for over 1 1/2 years.   They are really pleased with the conversions.  

If you have an old radio you like....convert it.  You won't be disappointed. 

Have some fun,  

John
Old 02-21-2012, 03:12 PM
ShuttleAU

Hi

I use the JR version of the plug in module for my transmitter as well as the receivers , 8 channel, in my elec glider , glow LA racer and my gasser.

Quite a few guys in the local club use them and so far they have been perfect. One member even bought the 2.4 basic module, installed it in his radio with a switch. One position 2.4 and the other position 36MHz.

There are a number of gasser pilots that use them. Always use 5 cell nimh battery. Glider pilots use them as well.

The receivers from hobbyking are 20 dollars which is amazing. I have crashed one plane with a FR sky receiver , my fault, so Instead of risking the receiver ( 20 dollars ) I binned it.

Failsafe and binding are easy. The transmit module has a low power button for a range test.

Shuttle

Old 02-24-2012, 08:20 PM
aeajr

Thanks for the reports.  I have heard so many good reports on these systems.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I'm converting a 9C using a Futaba 2.4 module and FRsky receivers. We'll see how it all works when the module and receivers arrive
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 AM
aeajr

Anyone else?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM
lbarnes

Since you asked if anyone else is using Frsky I will ask all of you a question.

I converted one of my Tx's to Frsky 2.4Ghz Tx module. Using the 8 channel Frsky RX I am getting jerky or steping servo movement on all servos.

When I reduce the RF power for range check the stepping goes away.

My thought is I'm over powering the Rx with the TX too close.

Anyone exp[erience this?

Larry
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM
aeajr

I thought I had responded to your question but I see I did not.
As I recall the documentation tells you to disable failsafe in the receiver if you have failsafe in the radio. Or maybe it is to disable it in the Radio. I don't recall. The reason is to avoid twitchy servos.
RTFM
Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: kwmtrubrit

Hey aeajr,

I saw your post and looked as I'm "kind of" interested in converting my 9cSuper to 2.4 on some of my planes too. I did some looking and although there's a bunch of stuff out there, I randomly looked at these two sites below. One fairly positive and one not so.

http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_inf...roducts_id=636 (this has a you tube video atteched)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYj1t5Dh_6E

Keith
Did you make the leap to FrSky?

I had purchased Futaba FASST modules for both my 9C Supers. I now have 4 7 channel receivers. I have spent $570 for the two modules and two more receivers. If I had known about how good FrSky was I could have done the same thing for $140 and had a set-up that was Telemetry ready.

At least FrSky has FASST compatible receivers. Those are getting good reports too.

ORIGINAL: OzMo

I'm converting a 9C using a Futaba 2.4 module and FRsky receivers. We'll see how it all works when the module and receivers arrive
OzMo,

Did you make the move?

I want more reports guys!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Hello guys I just bought the telemetry with receiver in California USA. The Telemetry 8ch receiver 26 bucks. Module well all together less then 60 bucks. I bought a Futaba 9cap super from a guy and ordered 2.4ghz module and receiver. The store I bought it from is www.alofthobbies.com This store warrant the frsky product for a year.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:44 PM
OzMo

Well,
I went with FRSky for my indoor and close up foamys and Fasst for the gliders. Staying with my 72Mhz stuff for the slimers for now.
Have not had a chance to install any of the 2.4 stuff yet but might get a chance to do that this evening
I am doing up a fresh Radian (gave my old one to a 9 year old kid ...I think his smile touched in back!)
Ozmo
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 PM
7sp

Using Frsky Hack modules with and without telemetry for well over year now in conversion of Airtronics and other Radios.

Used mostly in Sailplane and Electrics.

Product range excellent and basic functionality has been reliable and solid.
Product quality good overall with a few initial issues that seem to have been resolved.
Product changes have been frequent, in some cases discontinuing previous models with no upgrade.
Product updates range from flash memory via USB to fork lift.
Product documentation varies from good to you are better off asking someone else or figuring it out yourself.
Product support for returns or repair is cost prohibited due to shipping to China, but relatively cheap to replace.
(There are now a few places in the US selling and supporting the products)

7sp
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM
7sp

ORIGINAL: lbarnes

Since you asked if anyone else is using Frsky I will ask all of you a question.

I converted one of my Tx's to Frsky 2.4Ghz Tx module. Using the 8 channel Frsky RX I am getting jerky or steping servo movement on all servos.

When I reduce the RF power for range check the stepping goes away.

My thought is I'm over powering the Rx with the TX too close.

Anyone exp[erience this?

Larry

You may want to try with different servos. Other have reported that shielding the servo itself had stopped a jitter. I have only ever experienced a small jitter when testing with servos out on the bench and never installed in the aircraft. I have proven that the servo leads are in effect acting at antenna (via a makeshift Faraday cage). However it appears the noise may be coming from the some servos(servo motor, etc) and the physical proximity to the RX and not in the signal traveling on the servo leads. I did not test further as the noise went away once moving the servos more then a few inches away from the RX.

7sp

Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 PM
aeajr

Upgrading your 72 MHz radio to 2.4 GHz –
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=454

Includes discussion about the FrSky system
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 PM
OzMo

Nice article Ed. Thanks![8D]
Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 AM
aeajr

Finishing up an article on the FlySky 9X radio system as a low cost sailplane radio, including a firmware upgrade and upgrade to the FrSky system. Idon't recall if you have been in any of the discussions. Search on FlySky TH9X and you should find some of discussions where Ihave been gathering information. looks like you should be able to come up with an highly functional full house sailplane radio for about $180 and a little work.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 PM
aeajr

Any other FrSky glider pilots?

I hear someone is trying to turn the telemetry altimeter into an audio vario.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:49 PM
LovesToSail

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Any other FrSky glider pilots?
I hear someone is trying to turn the telemetry altimeter into an audio vario.

I have the altimeter - its real neat to have your buddy call out - 900 ft, 950 ft, 970 ft... and that was in two turns.... thermals were a booming yesterday.

PS - altimeter is great for others - we all thought are planes were much higher than in fact they really were.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 AM
aeajr

Gonna bump this thread one last time.  Any of you who already posted want to provide an update?

Any other glider pilots using FrSky?  Love to hear your experience.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
gofast53

I have been using a Turnigy 9X with upgraded firmaware along with FrSky telemetry module for just over to years now with no issues. Ditched all my Spectrum gear as have lost too many planes from brownouts. Also sick of walking around with an empty wallet due to paying out large amounts of money for over priced receivers. I have a good range of planes in my hanger including gliders, vintage glow/electric and large scale gas and can honestly say that the FrSky gear is very reliable. Love having the peace of mind using the telemetry functions and knowing that reciever relink times are almost instantaneous.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 PM
aeajr

Thanks for the update.  Good to know people are happy with the FrSky system.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:31 PM
FSki

Been using the FrSky non-telemetry hack module with my Multiplex Cockpit 35 mhzSx TX, via the trainer port, for almost three years in electrics and gliders, works well, several other pilots on our slope use it with JR Txs again with no issues.

I haven't tried the Frsky telemetry as I have a Multiplex M-Link Royal Pro 2.4 which has very good integrated telemetry and the additional display with the vario sensor gives full vario capability, i.e. you can set a sink rate and you get rising and lowering tone depending on rate of altitude increase or decrease (all in meters though )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.