Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 05:32 AM
airbornII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!!

I have a Carl Goldberg Electra that I just started building. I just found out that there is a plywood sheet missing. I am hoping that there is someone out here with the same kit that can copy the pieces for me and send me the drawing so that I can cut them out. The sheet is the one with the small wing joiners and two other pieces. Please let me know if anyone can help. Thanks.

Doug
Old 08-29-2003, 04:14 PM
tdwise

Default Missing Sheet

I'll help you if I can - I'm in the midst of repairing my Electra and have the plans and kit box out. When you're referring to "wing joiners", are you talking about the dihedral braces (small narrow slightly angled lite plywood strips) or the funny looking wood C-clamp pieces they provide to clamp the outboard panels to the inboard panels while the glue sets? If it's the latter, don't worry about it - they are not an integral part of the airframe and any spring clamp will work as a substitute. If it's the dihedral braces you're seeking, I'll try and help you if I can. But not right at the moment - I'm at work and the plans are at home. I'll log-on over the weekend and see what I can drum up for ya.

Ted
Old 08-29-2003, 06:42 PM
airbornII

Default Help!!!!!

Hey great, thanks for your help. I am talking about the dihedral braces, I guess they are actually called the polyhedral braces that go between the inboard and outboard wings. I also need a drawing for the rear motor mounts and former "A". Anything that you can do to help would be great. I bought this kit many years ago, and then got very busy. Now, three kids later, I am trying to get back into this hobby, as my girls want to do it also. Thanks again,

Doug
Old 08-30-2003, 01:01 PM
tdwise

Default Parts

Doug, here's what I got...

Looks as though you're missing the one sheet that has the two formers and all the polyhedral braces. I can help right now with the braces but the formers I'll have to either mail or fax a copy taken directly off the plans. (Do you 'have' the plans?) Anyway, the braces:

All are 1/16" Plywood
There are 4 for the main spars and 2 for the rear spar
The FORWARD braces are 2-3/4" long x 3/8" high and the polyhedral ANGLE is "13-1/2 DEGREES FROM PLUMB" (Relative to the OUTER RIB of the INBOARD PANEL). In other words, with the inboard panel laid flat on the plans, the outboard polyhedral panel is raised 13-1/2 degrees. These are glued both sides of the main spar (ie: sandwiched).

The rear spar polyhedral brace is 2" long x 1/4" high and it, too has the same polyhedral angle. It is glued to the back side of the rear spar only.

These dimensions and notes are taken directly off the plans so there shouldn't be any question. Unfortunately, they don't have any full size drawings of the braces - just the noted angles and material. There is, however, a page in the instruction booklet that shows the wood parts identification which I could also send. The images are reduced quite a bit but you may be able to enlarge and use them as a starting point. And like I said, there "is" a full-size layout of "Former A" that I can copy and mail/fax to you. (Faxing "may" distort the actual size so I'm a little leary about sending it that way).

Send me an email with your mailing address and fax number (just in case you want me to fax it to you anyway) and I'll get it out to you pronto!

Ted
Old 08-30-2003, 03:56 PM
airbornII

Default Help!!!!!

Well, I guess the lack of experience is showing. I do have the plans and the book. I was trying to look at them and I must have missed it. This is actually my first project. I am also working on some other ones at the same time. I'll let you know if I still need you to send that to me. Thanks,

Doug
Old 09-02-2003, 04:33 AM
airbornII

Default Help!!!!!

Hey Ted,

I scanned the images out of the book, and enlarged them. I then printed them and cut them out. I think that it will work. I haven't cut all of the wood out yet, although I have cut the templates and looked at them. They look very close to the plans. I did cut out Former "A" and laid it on the plans and it matches up. So I am very hopeful that it will all work out just fine. Thanks for all of your help, I'll let you know how it goes. Take care, and happy flying.

Doug