Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Sailplane to Entertain My 3 yr Old Granddaughter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Sailplane to Entertain My 3 yr Old Granddaughter

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sailplane to Entertain My 3 yr Old Granddaughter

My 3 yr old grandaughter
asked her Daddy for an orange airplane for Christmas.

He couldn't find one @ Christmas, but in March, I found a cheap 48" styrofoam glider (W/orange trim) & we/she had fun before it got damaged beyond repair due to a CG that was too far aft. (my bad)

Anyway, the nice people @ RCM sent me some plans free of charge as a gift to her W/a small order I had made.

The plans are for a 49 1/2" 2-channel sailplane.

There is a field that has a nice gradual SW slope near here home. It is about 15-20 acres in size W/O any obstructions. I would like to set up a launch device that her Daddy (my son) & I can utilize in this small area for short, but entertaining flights that will not excede her attention span. Just a few minutes flights @ a time is all I'm shooting for to keep her entertained/interested.

I'm new to sailplanes, but not to R/C so building & setting up the glider will not be a problem. I would like some advice on a simple, inexpensive launch system/technique that will be as safe as possible for use W/a toddle around. I want a little bit more than what hand launching will provide on the gradual slope & I do not want to fly in an area that will make it difficult for the toddler & her Daddy to retrieve the plane if it does not make it all the way back to the launch site.

Something that will get the glider 100' or so into the air would be nice for now. Eventually I want to get her on a buddy box for longer flights, but that will probably be a while.

I would also like some suggestions on a 72 Mhz (Hitec) 2 channel reciever & lightwieght servos. ( I want to stay W/72 Mhz to utilize the buddy box I have)

EDIT: I just purchased these.

I've always had real good luck W/Hitec & this Rx has a 1 mile range instead of 650' like most mini receivers. I will be flying it W/a Hitec Optima 6 TX & a Hitec Prism 7X TX for the buddy box/trainer .
Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 AM
TIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sailplane to Entertain My 3 yr Old Granddaughter

A simple hi start would suit you just fine. The link is not mine, just showing you can get them cheaper than msrp.

They are nice and gentle so no worries about anyone being scared.

Give the glider a couple dozen tosses first and make sure it flies straight & level before the 100' launch.

Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNAFLITE-HI...item19cfc4db5c