Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glider mode on JR X9503 vs DX8

Hello, I have read several forums on radio brands and have come to the conclusion that it's a Ford vs Chevy thing. What Ido have a question on is where the JR X9503 has a 3rd glider mode and the Spektrum DX8 only has airplane and heli modes. Is there anything that the JR can do with the glider mode that the DX8 can't do using the airplane mode? From what I have read so far, I a leaning toward the DX8, especially right now since it comes with 2 extra recievers and it's still about $100 less than the X9503. I appreciate your input!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Glider mode on JR X9503 vs DX8

I've thought long and hard about maybe getting a DX8 to replace or supplement any of my three 9303s. Mostly cause I'd like to dabble in telemetry.

I would miss the dedicated full house glider programs : Crow activated proportionally from the throttle stick with built in elevator compensation and offset capability, snap flap for entire wing TE movement. These would eat up many of the mixes if I tried to manually do it all with a DX8.

I absolutely love the rotary sliders in the corners (like the old airtronics Vision) because my index fingers can find them quickly for camber positioning on gliders when entering or exiting thermals without taking my thumbs off the sticks.

As a glider flyer AND wet fuel power flyer a slider is used on my giant scale warbird flaps. It makes a huge difference being able to quickly slam the flaps up on my big warbird to get the tail down quickly on soft wet or muddy fields to prevent nose-overs and still keeping throttle, rudder and elevator control in a gusty crosswind. Can't do that unless my index finger can find that flap slider!

Thirdly, I really don't like digital trims on throttles, and the 9303 has a manual throttle trim. (Yippiee!)

So, in summary, if I needed to replace one of my 9303s, I'd get a 9503 and NOT a DX8. I'd get an aftermarket suite of telemetry tools like Eagletree or similar if I want telemetry. Having them integrated into the TX isn't really a big deal, cause I've concluded I can't really view them while flying, and any alerts I set (low voltage, temperature, speed, rpm, etc) could also be done without the TX's involvement.

Joe
    Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it!

Troy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I heard that Hitec has a radio for gliders/sailplanes. I am looking for a radio that offers a 3-position switch for flaps. Anybody know of a transmitter that offers the switch mentioned and necessary operations for gliders/sailplanes?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Landshark67

Hello, I have read several forums on radio brands and have come to the conclusion that it's a Ford vs Chevy thing.Ā* What IĀ*do have a question on is where the JR X9503 has a 3rd glider mode and the Spektrum DX8 only has airplane and heli modes.Ā* Is there anything that the JR can do with the glider mode that the DX8 can't do using the airplane mode?Ā* From what I have read so far, I a leaning toward the DX8, especially right now since it comes with 2 extra recievers and it's still about $100 less than the X9503.Ā* I appreciate your input!
    I bought the DX8 last year as a glider radio - even though it didn't have a specific Glider mode. However, the thing that got me was that - while in Airplane Mode - the L.Trim and R.Trim values were not saved when you switched flight modes - even though the manual said they were saved. I had to return the radio since I wanted to use the L and R Trim settings to set camber on Thermal and Speed modes.

If Spek fixed that, the DX8 would be a pretty nice into Glider radio, esp with the telemetry feature.

r/s... Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RogerParrett
    I bought the DX8 last year as a glider radio - even though it didn't have a specific Glider mode. However, the thing that got me was that - while in Airplane Mode - the L.Trim and R.Trim values were not saved when you switched flight modes - even though the manual said they were saved. I had to return the radio since I wanted to use the L and R Trim settings to set camber on Thermal and Speed modes.

If Spek fixed that, the DX8 would be a pretty nice into Glider radio, esp with the telemetry feature.

r/s... Roger
    I bought a DX8 awhile back and it's first tasks were my gliders that'd been on the 9303. I will admit that I didn't know the DX8 wasn't a glider radio, and so far haven't needed anything special. That of course is the important detail here. I haven't used crow or whatever might be required from a dedicated glider mode. I have no problem doing what I want with the flaps of my Avia etc. So I've been quiet about my experiences.

To put my glider use into perspective, I just recently 'upgraded' my Spectra. I swapped out the stock wing with a scratch built (back in 1983) that's E205-E205-E193 to improve the performance (which it did). The Avia is a V-tail with flaps and ailerons and is the most modern I have.
    Good flying wit ya today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree the DX8 is a feature full radio.

The stuff that goes along with that 3rd dedicated (sailplane) mode is implied by my use of the "full house" terminology for sailplanes implying a 6 servo bird. Having that capability with ready to go mixes means you won't waste a lot of other mixes coupling flaps to ailerons or re-creating crow features where each servo in the wing does something different depending on aileron, throttle and mode input.

If your sailplanes have less than 6 servos, you will probably not ever miss the canned "full house" mixes.

I tried to put my Trinity on a DX7 once, and I could have almost everything I wanted at the same time except I had to decide if I wanted both snap flap AND crow capability. Also as I recall I wasted a mix or two trying to "undo" an undesireable action forced by another mix. If you're not careful, sometimes you end up with mixes where the trim doesn't apply to the whole "function" (say aileron for example) cause you ended up dedicating mixes to features which might be better categorized as "slave", etc.

Note the 9393/9503 does have a 3 position flap switch. I just prefer not to use it to control flaps directly (giving only 3 possible positions) as I like a continuous range for my flaps (with crow).
    Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig. Everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly full house motor gliders. The items that took the DX-8 off the list for consideration was the lack of mixing and the lack of side sliders. I got a good deal on a X9503. That said my old Futaba 9C with a Spek module in it is a better radio.
    Revver #125, Pico Owners Club #3
    R/C Anonymous. My name is Evan and I have not flown for 14 hours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Landshark67

Hello, I have read several forums on radio brands and have come to the conclusion that it's a Ford vs Chevy thing. What Ido have a question on is where the JR X9503 has a 3rd glider mode and the Spektrum DX8 only has airplane and heli modes. Is there anything that the JR can do with the glider mode that the DX8 can't do using the airplane mode? From what I have read so far, I a leaning toward the DX8, especially right now since it comes with 2 extra recievers and it's still about $100 less than the X9503. I appreciate your input!
    > Choosing a Sailplane Radio - What to Consider
    http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=223

The DX8 is a very feature rich radio, but it has no preset glider mixes. That doesn't mean you can't work to create many of them, but you have to do it yourself. Like having a garage vs. building a garage. Sailplane radios have the mixes and are focused on the needs of the 6 servo full house thermal durationg glider pilot.

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

I've thought long and hard about maybe getting a DX8 to replace or supplement any of my three 9303s. Mostly cause I'd like to dabble in telemetry.

I would miss the dedicated full house glider programs : Crow activated proportionally from the throttle stick with built in elevator compensation and offset capability, snap flap for entire wing TE movement. These would eat up many of the mixes if I tried to manually do it all with a DX8.

I absolutely love the rotary sliders in the corners (like the old airtronics Vision) because my index fingers can find them quickly for camber positioning on gliders when entering or exiting thermals without taking my thumbs off the sticks.

As a glider flyer AND wet fuel power flyer a slider is used on my giant scale warbird flaps. It makes a huge difference being able to quickly slam the flaps up on my big warbird to get the tail down quickly on soft wet or muddy fields to prevent nose-overs and still keeping throttle, rudder and elevator control in a gusty crosswind. Can't do that unless my index finger can find that flap slider!

Thirdly, I really don't like digital trims on throttles, and the 9303 has a manual throttle trim. (Yippiee!)

So, in summary, if I needed to replace one of my 9303s, I'd get a 9503 and NOT a DX8. I'd get an aftermarket suite of telemetry tools like Eagletree or similar if I want telemetry. Having them integrated into the TX isn't really a big deal, cause I've concluded I can't really view them while flying, and any alerts I set (low voltage, temperature, speed, rpm, etc) could also be done without the TX's involvement.

Joe
    Upgrading your 72 MHz radio to 2.4 GHz –
    http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=454

If you like the 9303, keep it. It is a great radio. Just upgrade it to 2.4 and, as you will see in the article, it does not have to be expensive.

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

I fly full house motor gliders. The items that took the DX-8 off the list for consideration was the lack of mixing and the lack of side sliders. I got a good deal on a X9503. That said my old Futaba 9C with a Spek module in it is a better radio.
    I have a pair of matched 9C Supers that I fly for sailplane competition. Irecently upgraded them to 2.4 GHz because I like them and have no reason to change them. Having said that I would expect the X9503 to be a bettersailplane radio. Surprised you are disappointed. But, again, Ilike my 9Cs too.

Long Island Silent Flyers
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes Ed I agree. I was just answering his question. My original 9303 has a 2.4 module as well as several 72 Mhz ones. The other TX's are actually XP9303s.

Joe