Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Add a Channel to 2-Channel X 4' Sailplane?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Add a Channel to 2-Channel X 4' Sailplane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:33 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Add a Channel to 2-Channel X 4' Sailplane?

I'm building a simple 2C X 4' sailplane for my granddaughter.

The flightpack I purchased comes W/3 servos & I am wondering if it would be advantageous to add an aileron channel for aileron/flaperon capabilities.

If so, should I add ailerons on the dihedral tips of the straight center section. I was thinking of using plastic core flex cable to actuate W/1 servo in the center of the wing.

I started R/C over 15 years ago, but sailplanes are new to me. Any experienced input would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a better choice than the aileron/flaperon option?

Should I leave it as is & keep the servo for a spare?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Fleet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Add a Channel to 2-Channel X 4' Sailplane?

2x4 is a good choice for beginner.  A fellow sailplaner had one and taught himself to build and fly it.  

I'd leave the 3rd servo at home and concentrate on learning with just two axis control.  If you still need to use it, put spoilers on the topside but now you've entered a complicated redesign of a simple kit.  KISS.

Good on your grand daughter.   My grand daughters seem interested in the latest cell phones.

Ray W.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:31 AM
iron eagel

It's fairly easy to add ailerons to a plane like this. I've done it to several you would want to add them to the outboard portion of the wing. If your using flex cables you will need to use a pull/pull type of setup simply notch the wing to run your cables and epoxy or even tape the guides in place. I have found that it's a lot easier for a beginner to start with a four channel radio rather than learn on a three and switch to a four. On several foam planes I just add a servo in each wing for the ailerons... I would stay away from flaperons they cause tip stalls.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75448.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	1749957  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:01 AM
kwmtrubrit

I agree with Fleet, KISS!! A polyhedral sailplane doesn't need ailerons anyway. Changing from 2/3 channel to four really isn't that hard. Put your rudder control on your right hand stick where ailerons would be controlled. Your elevator is already there, so you are basically flying using one stick only. When you decide to go four channel, you're already using that stick and will only need to get used to the rudder on the left stick on occasion. I say on occasion as you will probably have ailerons and rudder working together anyway. Just my two penneth worth.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:23 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Let her fly it in the stock form. If you want to "hotrod" the design build a second wing which has either no or greatly reduced tip dihedral and put the other servo plus ailerons in that wing.

If you feel that you really MUST put ailerons on the 2x4 then do so by putting them on the outer panels and reduce the tip dihedral angle down to about 1/3 of what it shows on the plan.

Really though I suspect the design is best flown as it was intended with only two movable surfaces.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM
LovesToSail

Triple agree!!!!
2 channels to start - but if you are putting an electric in it - be able to reduce its effectiveness with radio...

I have a gentle lady that runs for a really long time at constant altitude with 1300mAh pack - it has been used to teach quite a few people how to fly. It is Rudder, Elevator and Throttle only...

PS - I HIGHLY suggest electric (although that plane might be a bit small to start) and the gentle lady with simple motor/ESC is hard to beat for pure flying smplicity. No winch or highstart to futz with... Think about it...

ORIGINAL: kwmtrubrit

I agree with Fleet, KISS!! A polyhedral sailplane doesn't need ailerons anyway. Changing from 2/3 channel to four really isn't that hard. Put your rudder control on your right hand stick where ailerons would be controlled. Your elevator is already there, so you are basically flying using one stick only. When you decide to go four channel, you're already using that stick and will only need to get used to the rudder on the left stick on occasion. I say on occasion as you will probably have ailerons and rudder working together anyway. Just my two penneth worth.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:21 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LovesToSail

Triple agree!!!!
2 channels to start - but if you are putting an electric in it - be able to reduce its effectiveness with radio...

I have a gentle lady that runs for a really long time at constant altitude with 1300mAh pack - it has been used to teach quite a few people how to fly. It is Rudder, Elevator and Throttle only...

PS - I HIGHLY suggest electric (although that plane might be a bit small to start) and the gentle lady with simple motor/ESC is hard to beat for pure flying smplicity. No winch or highstart to futz with... Think about it...

ORIGINAL: kwmtrubrit

I have thougt about onboard power to gain altitude, but would probably opt for a simple COX .049 W/integral fuel tank. (as shown on the plans) No throttle, just run it up to altitude & when the fuel runs out, start gliding.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 PM
LovesToSail

If you have never used electric (current brushless system with LiPo's and chargers, etc) then glow may be for you. However, there is no substitute for the simplicity and quiteness of an electric sailplane - it is a match made in heaven and you can shut the motor off at 4 crashes high instead of 1000 feet and this will help your grandchild see it easier and see thier responses more readily. You just run it at partial throttle so that it stays pretty much at constant altitude. I can run mine for 40min this way.

I can show you what I used on mine but it would be $100 investment in motor, ESC, batteries and your time. However, you never have to worry about glow battery, the right fuel or cutting your finger on a prop. There is no cleanup with electric.

I am terribly biased by the way having flown electric for 20 years now. I have even lopped the noses of all of my "true sailplanes" and have never looked back. (OK, I did have some tears when I cut through my Dodgson Windsong nose).

Scott