Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

first glider

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Rudy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first glider

I would like to get an electric glider this spring. I have been flying electric planes for a couple of season. Any suggestions.

<o></o>

Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: first glider

For simplicity, the Radian is hard to beat, a step up from that is the Radian Pro with flaps and ailerons.

Possibilites (and cost) only go up from there. What are you trying to do with it, and how much do you want to spend?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, a Radian would be a wise way to go.

Going with rudder and elevator instead of ailerons may see like going backwards if you're already flying succesfully with ailerons. But when you manage to find thermals and you're out at a long distance where you are having trouble trying to keep up with which way the model is pointed the extra stability will prove to be a big advantage. Simply finding and learning to ride lift is hard enough without adding to the workload with flying more controls than you need for now.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Rudy

I'd like to learn and experience gliding to see how it feels plus flying for fun when not practicing pattern.<o></o>

Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There really aren't too many starter gliders out there right now. The foamies have about cornered the entry market. Nothing bad about them, but they really aren't much like the gliders you move up to after your 'rookie season'. If you'd like to look at a beginner sailplane that's not a foamy, about the only one I found this week is the Tower Hobbies Vista. It comes with an obsolete power system that's usable, and fairly easy to upgrade. If the plane appeals to you more than a foamy, you might consider upgrading out of the box. Swap in a brushless outrunner and brushless ESC and it's cost would still be competative with the foamies.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMUY1&P=ML
Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rudy

I'd like to learn and experience gliding to see how it feels plus flying for fun when not practicing pattern.<o></o>

Then a rudder-elevator electric glider such as the Radian would be a good first option.

It's supposed to be about the "fishing" for thermals after all. The first "nibble" as you find something out of the ordinary. Then altering how you circle to find where the center of the lift is located, assuming there IS any lift. Then riding the free elevator as far as you dare be it to some crazy height overhead or scratching for every foot in weak lift while dissapearing downwind and wondering how soon you need to come back to avoid walking downwind.

You'll find that each thermal has a "personality" as well. Some are big, soft and friendly. Many are small and cheap with their favours. Others challenge and toss you like a championship Rodeo bull.

Yeah, I suspect you'll find enough to keep you going despite not having ailerons....

Of all the model flying I've done RC soaring keeps me coming back for more. Flying the models is as simple as you'll get. But actually Soaring is a whole other matter. You'll get better at it with time and expierience but you'll never truly master all that the air has in it.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 AM
rhall999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will never regret your decision to try gliding. That first time you hook a thermal and climb even 100 ft you will be hooked. Then you will be trying formore and more time and altitude, and having an absolute blast doing it!!

As for a basic glider, I agree with Bruce, just a simple rudder/elevator glider is the way to go. I have never personally flown a Radian, but Ihear they are great. If you want to build, find a good ole' Gentle Lady, Sig Riser, Olympic II, GP Spirit etc, and put it together. All of the above can easily be "electrified" if you want a powered glider instead of pure glider too.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Rudy

Thanks for all the advice. Hmmm.... I'm going to thhe local glider field soon and watch a bit. Then I'll more than likely get a Radiam to learn on.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rhall hit the thing on the head.
If you like a build I recomend both the Gentle Lady or the Riser. I flew both yesterday.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 AM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Ive been thinking about a foam powered glider to take with me when out at the beach and the Radian Pro looks like a winner but then I saw this Flyzone Calypso at RCX last weekend. There really wasn't any information about it other than seeing it there perched on the stand and the standard product sheet. The Flyzone rep didnt have any additional info so I thought I would ask the RCU community. It looks really good but does anyone have any experience with Flyzone products as compared to Parkzone with regards to materials and construction.

[link]http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplanes/flza3000/flza3000_gallery.html[/link]