Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Powering a 2 meter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powering a 2 meter?

I dug out my old Spectre 2 meter glider planning to repower with a brushless/lipo combo. I had a geared brushed motor way back with a bunch of nicads. It would barely climb and didn't get enough altitude to stay aloft very long. Found I have a Turnigy 3530 outrunner, 1400kv. My question is whether or not a lower kv motor swinging a big prop is better than a 1400 swinging a 9, or 10" prop going faster. Which would provide more thrust? Bill
Old 05-12-2012, 11:57 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Powering a 2 meter?

The thing that makes that a harder question to answer is the model has a lot to do with the answer and it depends on the electric motor's designed purpose.

We need to take a look at what the mfg suggests for the right prop for that motor when it's pulling a glider aloft. be right back.......
Old 05-12-2012, 03:48 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Powering a 2 meter?

All else being equal the bigger and slower prop will do better for climbing. But at the same time your motor is rated at a whopping 470 watts maximum output. That is WAYYYYYY more than you require for your Spirit to do well. So yeah, proping it with a finer pitch 9 to 10 inch folding prop and matching it with a battery pack which only lightly loads down to around a 200 to 250 watt performance level is going to make your new and lighter Spirit fly like a power model. At the same time your final flying weight will likely come out at anywhere from 10 to 14 oz lighter than it was before. And because your new flight power system is lighter take pains to pack all the heavy stuff as far forward as you can to reduce the amount of nose weight it will end up requiring.