Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Different Kyosho Soarus Models

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Different Kyosho Soarus Models

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 AM
flyingtheoldones
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different Kyosho Soarus Models

I just picked up a couple Kyosho Soarus' from the basement of a guy I was selling some sailboat parts to. The 2 gliders I got are the Kyosho Soarus and the Soarus II. When I looked them up, I see a bunch of 1600mm models. Mine are 1800 and 1900 models. The Soarus II having the 1900 wing also has ailerons, the plain Soarus is R/E and motor only.
First off, are these gliders any good? What kind of flying are they rated for?(aerobatic, hotliner, basic learning of full house models)
When were these produced? I know the 1600mm version is still available, but what about these?
Both kits are perfect. Should I just build them and bash on them? Or is there a collectable value that someone else might enjoy them more that I. God knows I have more planes that I need... but never more than I want.

Just thought about it, should this be in the electric forum? The model seems more like a powered glider.

DM
Old 05-12-2012, 03:43 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Different Kyosho Soarus Models

This is a good place to ask about any kind of glider.

The Kyosho gliders aren't cutting edge, but cutting edge isn't of much value to most of us. Their Mabuchi motors are from a previous era. They'll still work for you if you've got them and the support equipment. Most of us would retrofit the power system with a brushless motor, brushless esc, and suitable LiPo batteries.

Almost every glider that's ever been offered as a kit or ARF has been good to excellent. Honest. There haven't been any dogs that I know of. Some are more suited to beginners than others, but the vast majority won't push an experienced RC'er beyond what he already can do. Modelers who can already fly power models really have only to learn how to find lift. OK, they do have to learn to deal with slower, longer winged, gentler handling models.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:56 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Different Kyosho Soarus Models

Whenever you see a glider that's advertised as a slope plane, you're looking at less of a 'sailplane'. It'll usually be faster than the average glider and often be challenged at thermal finding.

When you see a flat wing and ailerons you're usually looking at a sloper. They don't work as well thermalling, more often than not. That's actually a good thing, because the ultimate goal in thermalling is to 'speck out.' Most of us hang on to any thermal we stumble into until our glider is a speck in the sky. When they're that small, and that high, they need to be capable of flying themselves. Flat wing slopers usually need a pilot paying attention to the roll axis for them. They often need the pilot to watch the pitch a lot closer too.

The Soarus ads I just found all show what is basically a powered sloper. The ads reinforce that. The pictures show a plane that really isn't designed to be great at thermal hunting or utilization. But those slopers will still hang a thermal for you. They just aren't the best tools for that job.