Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Hotliner and Motor Advice Needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hotliner and Motor Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:28 AM
trappg
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotliner and Motor Advice Needed

I’m in the market for a hot, powered glider. I owned a Siren a couple years ago and loved that plane until I cooked a speed controller and it turned into a lawn dart. Ooops… I want to upgrade from the Siren so I’m looking at airframes comparable to the Bullet from SoaringUSA and the Wilco from Esprit Models. And I see where these size airframes call for a Neu 1105/2.5Y with a 4.4/1 gearbox motor or something similar to it. Does anyone have advice on airframe/motor combos for this sized plane?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Hotliner and Motor Advice Needed

Give the boys at Esprit a call, they will know what combos work best with the stuff they sell.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:46 PM
trappg

Thanks Andy but yea I can see all that on their website. Wanted some real advice from RC pilots. Esprit is a good company, don't get me wrong but they're gonna be biased to the stuff they sell.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM
flutter caused it

Those fellows from Esprit fly what they sell, and fly them well. You just need to tell them what you expect, and they will steer you in the right direction. I've purchased airframes from Esprit and have never been dissapointed. The NEU 1105/2y, even with a gearbox, is plenty to fly smaller go-fast planes, but it really isnt enough of a performer to get any serious speeds.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:42 AM
richgrow

I'm also looking at Bullet Hotliner. I Just Built The Mefesto and Put Hyperion 600 Watt Motor in It GS3020-8 Model Number. Motor actually At 70 Amps Produces over 775 Watts Powered By a NanoTech 45C-90C 3S Battery or Higher. DO NOT USE MORE 3S or You will Fry The Motor.[:@] I'm Super Impressed with Power of Hyperion Motors.[&:] Finishing Today The New Hobby King "Deamon 2000" and Got Biggest Hyperion Motor that Fits in it GS2218-10 Model Number. It's 450 Watt and Plan Use NanoTech 2200 mah 45-90C 3S Battery [X(][X(][X(]http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11951__Turnigy_nano_tech_2200mah_3S_45_90C_Lipo_ Pack.html This Keeps Bird Lighter since ONLY Regular Balsa With Ultra Coat Framed Wings.
BulleT Has The hollow molded wing is an all carbon layup, with flaps. The fuse is well done with carbon reinforcement that makes it light, and strong, ready for lots of power! For $160 You can Get Hyperion Gs3032-6/882 Sailplane Brushless Motor a 1150 watt Motor. One Those Big Nue will give More Speed But set You Back $275 to $600 [:@] I'd Look at Hyperion Gs3025-8/867 Sailplane Brushless Motor with 850 Watts Power for $125 [&:][&:][&:] My 650 Watt Pulls My Mefesto I'm sure over 100 MPH REAL SPEED. Want do Some Good Cooling Venting for getting Air In and Out to Cool these Hotliners. Both Places Fly What They Sell. Yes Nue are Super Motors But How Much Faster Do You Need? With Me Comes Down to Would I Pay Over Double for Power System And ESC to get another 10% or maybe 15% more Speed. My ANSWER Was and Is NO [:-] I love Performance and I'm Super Impressed with Hyperion Motors. Use Your Watt Meter and Try Different Folding Props and Get Good Spinner!!! Both Companies have Given Me Super ADVICE & Product Support. NEVER Got ANY BAD Advice from Either. I Also Fly allot Precision Aerobatics 3D Planes. Looks Like We both are Experimenting with Same Hotliner Sport Power Gliders. I'm Retired ARMY Aviation and have Researched Allot in This Great Hobby[&:][&:]
My Direct E-mail [email protected]
Old 05-31-2012, 04:21 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a BulleT with a 1110 1y and am happy with it. I do call it a warmliner.... Trapp, you want to talk about hotliners call me. Where do you fly?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:35 PM
trappg

Good advice guys! Thanks! Evan I flew out at Cabarrus RC in Mt. Pleasant for over 12 yrs or so, then recently switched over to RC Wingers in Mooresville.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've flown at both sites. Great people at both. Let me know if you have any questions.