RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Durafly Zephyr

Reply
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM
  #1
skatsrc
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: pembroke pines, FL
Posts: 70
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Durafly Zephyr

Does anyone fly a Zephyr EDF? Just wondering which size battery works best regarding W&B.
skatsrc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 AM
  #2
Sherv
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 687
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Durafly Zephyr

It was just released a week ago, doubt anyone has received them yet. I just ordered mine this morning but without the batteries. I am waiting to hear from other users which size will give the best balance for CG. I dont care about capacity.. I care about weight and CG. I'll post back when I find some info regarding size.
Sherv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 AM
  #3
Sherv
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 687
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Durafly Zephyr

Scott has mentioned that this battery is the only 4000mAh that can fit/weight wise.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

So i'm guessing 250-290gram max is the weight you should be looking at.
Sherv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
  #4
da Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Near Pfafftown NC
Posts: 11,460
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Durafly Zephyr


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sherv

Scott has mentioned that this battery is the only 4000mAh that can fit/weight wise.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

So i'm guessing 250-290gram max is the weight you should be looking at.
Scott who?

The battery compartment size is the important detail. Then you'd have to consider what range of weights that would fit in there and what effect they'd have on the CG of the model.

You'd be surprised how smaller batteries can increase climb performance. They don't automatically unbalance the plane either. It depends on the mass of the plane and where the battery can be positioned.

It really would be good to hear from someone who has flown the sucker.

da Rock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM
  #5
Sherv
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 687
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Durafly Zephyr


Quote:
ORIGINAL: da Rock


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sherv

Scott has mentioned that this battery is the only 4000mAh that can fit/weight wise.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

So i'm guessing 250-290gram max is the weight you should be looking at.
Scott who?

The battery compartment size is the important detail. Then you'd have to consider what range of weights that would fit in there and what effect they'd have on the CG of the model.

You'd be surprised how smaller batteries can increase climb performance. They don't automatically unbalance the plane either. It depends on the mass of the plane and where the battery can be positioned.

It really would be good to hear from someone who has flown the sucker.

This is scott
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKNy6aP3gCU

he said the zippy compact is the only 4000 battery that fits on RCgroups. He posts there.
Sherv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:50 PM
  #6
da Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Near Pfafftown NC
Posts: 11,460
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Durafly Zephyr

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Sherv

This is scott
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKNy6aP3gCU

he said the zippy compact is the only 4000 battery that fits
OK,

now the original question was "which is best" so let's explore that.

Depending on the size of the battery compartment the best would have to fit. Then it'd have to give the performance the OP considers he wants the most. If he wants the longest motor times, then the most capacity he can get into that hole would be the best performing. Seldom is that the goal for most thermal flyers. Looking at the model, it's really not going to be a super thermal glider from the git-go. It's small as good thermal gliders go and has a huge drag producer that doesn't fold away when not in use. So maybe he wants a hotliner, something that he's going to yo-yo. Shoot it up again and again. Then capacity is good to have. But so is lighter weight. It's a puzzle until the use is known.

Anybody got one yet?


da Rock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
  #7
Sherv
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 687
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Durafly Zephyr

Seems CG is hard to get on this plane. Battery weight should be 280-320grams to get cg easily. CG is 75-80mm from leading edge of wing while inverted.
The plane seems to be nice but I already put a request to cancel my order. 3-4min flight times, it glides well, and is a little troublesome to launch. I think I'll take the money and buy a balsa fournier.
Sherv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
  #8
skatsrc
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: pembroke pines, FL
Posts: 70
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Durafly Zephyr

Good info, thanks. What do you mean about "troublesome to launch"?
skatsrc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:33 AM
  #9
y2blade
 
y2blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Shire, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 72
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Durafly Zephyr

I'm very tempted to order one of these, they look fantastic.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT35J4frBuk[/youtube]

Would it make a good powered glider for a new flyer (years of Electric Helis but no fixed wing yet)?


y2blade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:55 PM.