Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Where to slope soar in Northern Cal?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Where to slope soar in Northern Cal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 PM
dwdixie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to slope soar in Northern Cal?

Hello,
I haven't flown a sailplane in 10+ years, and back then I lived on the coast- plenty of good slopes there. I live in Lodi, CA now, just south of Sacramento. (In the flat-as-a-board valley) Where is a good place to slope soar around here? Obviously there are foothills to the east, so I'm guessing that's where most locals go?

ANY input would be appreciated!!

Dave
Old 08-05-2012, 05:37 PM
fudi50
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Where to slope soar in Northern Cal?

Hi Dave.
I live in Modesto, theere are no slope sites here however we fly regularly at the Los Banos Creek Reservoire it about 3/400 ft overlooking the lake we look at the weather reports on Underground favorale WNW NW winds over 5mph, we fly an assortment of planes I have an Enigma V 2m and an Omega 2m also a 4 meter scratch built sailplane, some of the guys have Zagi's for combat. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE RETIRED AS MOST OF US AREWeatheer looks promissing for Wednesday if you can make it and are interested give me a call 209 578 3976
David
Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Where to slope soar in Northern Cal?

You have a few options- You can drive to the Bay Area and fly at the spots there. Los Banos is a good spot, and if you go when the South Bay Soaring Society has one of their events you'll get to a lot of different flying- aerotow, slope racers, light lift planes, etc.

I've been meaning to try the area east of Lake Berryessa/Vaca Mtn- as the afternoon winds seem to rip out there.

Dike 8 on Folsom Lake has been a well known spot for years.