Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

What glider to get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 01:13 AM
Cessna26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What glider to get?

I would like a glider that can be handlanched any where, slope glide, use a hiStarter maybe, and can be pulled up by gas plane. What gliders out there meet most of those needs. I would like and ARF, but if you have a kit that would be ok. i would like the price know more then 200$.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:09 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's a pretty tall order for one model. Anything that will do all that will be a big compromise.

Perhaps you should go for two related goals and let the others slide.

Handlaunch models can be high start launched using light duty High Starts but if you want to aerotow it then even something with a 25 would be gross overkill. Slope flying with a handlaunch is possible but you wouldn't want to do that on the heavier days as the arrivals that harsh weather brings can hardly be called "landings" except by the most generous of meanings. Not to mention that most handlaunch models will become overweight with the addition of an aerotow servo and hook

The best option is really 3 models. A dedicated handlaunch with a belly hook for a lightweight High Start. This could also be sloped on mild days. A 2 meter or 100 incher for High Starting and aerotowing with a fast trainer with a 40 up front and a dedicated fast sloper for thrilling high speed passes and groovy maneuvers. These 3 mission profiles are far enough apart that you'll appreciated having a model finely tuned for each.

Otherwise I'd suggest aiming for only one of these 3 areas. You'll be much happier with the performance in the end.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:23 AM
Cessna26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a avistar trainer with a magnum 46 in it. Would that work and what modifications would i have to do?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:46 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That'll be fine for any 2 meter glider but it'll be overkill for any handlaunch. You'll need a servo operated captured hook on the nose of the glider and another on the top of the tow plane.

Try a few searches here in the RCU glider forum and on the open 'net using your favourite search engine. There's a few good sites about aerotowing. Be warned though that it's not as easy as you think. You need a couple of savy pilots to prevent disaster. Not neccesarily gifted fliers but ones that can think ahead.