Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Gliding in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Cessna26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gliding in San Diego

Does anyone know of good places to glide a handlaunched or slope glider in San Diego? Maps, pictures, experience.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:52 AM
AcintSpec

Default Gliding in KSD

Get in touch with the Torrey Pines Gulls. They not only use the cliffs at the ocean by Torrey Pines GliderPort, but they also had access to a nice slope area near Poway to the north. On the other side of Poway (west) is the area where they hold their International HL and other contests. Check their Web Site as it had excellent directions or contact some of the members. George Joy of Peak Electronics was one of their instructors at the Poway Site.

Most excellent group of people! Got hooked there on a business trip in 99, flying a Zagi every night at the slope site that I built in a hotel room. All were very, very friendly and helpful. George even got me started into flatland soaring.

Regards,
Gene
Old 09-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Cessna26

Default Gliding in San Diego

At the Torry Pines place do you know if you need to be a member to fly there? I am just planing on going there for my birthday for about 3 to 5 days.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:14 AM
AcintSpec

Default RE: Gliding in San Diego

I was there for over 2 months and flew mostly at the Poway areas, slope and TD, as a guest learner. As I understand it, you now have to be 'certified' for the cliffs as it is a shared site (hang gliders, para sailers, us R/C dudes, the real ones {occassionally}) and a "Historical' spot. Best bet would be to get in touch with someone like George Joy, Peak Electronics 858 532 0092 or www.siriuselectronics.com, and find out for sure. George is one heck of a guy and one of the main hooks in my return to R/C and sailplanes in particular. He was the 'instructor' for TPG's at the Poway Thermal Field.

Good Flying

Gene
Old 09-10-2003, 02:12 PM
SoCalKeith
My Feedback: (1)

Check out the Slope forum at the lift zone.
www.liftzone.com they have a lot of SD guys there.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:34 AM
milberto
My Feedback: (1)

I have been flying at torrey for many yaers, in the last year many rule changes have taken affect. If you have AMA, you can flly on a guest pass (supervised), join the TPG, or the scale club, and take two check rides and you are good to go, the check ride is nothing more than showing you can fly the plane you have

Bill