Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Glider

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:25 AM
Theo Andrews

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glider

Hi,
I have recently been given a glider to finish. It has a fibreglass fuselage and foam wings covered in wood. I have a few questions about it if any one wouldn't mind sharing there knowledge. It has a wingspan of 2 metres. First, how do I keep the wings on it has two pins that the wings slot into but I can't see them holding it on. Second how do I build the tail plane part. Does the whole tail plane move or does it have a elevator? Finally what type of glider is it, a slope soarer, thermal or both? Thanks a lot!!

Old 01-17-2015, 03:34 AM
Theo Andrews

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2064595   Click image for larger version

Views:	71
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2064596   Click image for larger version

Views:	109
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	2064597   Click image for larger version

Views:	70
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2064598  
Old 01-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

Hi:
On the tail first, the whole horizontal stab moves up and down. And on the wings, what is the holes on top of them, is there some sort of screw or bolts in them. They are in line with the wing rods, that be the way it stays together. When I flew my second sailplane it was a Airtronics Aquila and the instructions says to insert the wing rods in a orange over night, that would make the metal rust or something, so when I put the wings together they wouldn't come apart very easy, It is a Thermal mostly, but I think it can slope also. I never done slope. And on the design of plane, I haven't got a clue who makes it. But someone here will tell you.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you know the make and name of the glider?

There are several things you can do to secure the wings.

1) it is common practice to use electrical tape at the joint between the wing and the fuselage. If this was a high speed aerobat that might not be sufficient. But as a thermal glider it works quite well. That is what I don on my gliders.

2) you can bend the wing rods slightly toward each other. when you put the wing on this creates tension in the rods that helps to secure the wing but I think the tape is likely to be sufficient.

3) You can put bees wax on the wing rods. It is both a lub and a sticky substance that makes it tougher for the wing rods to move. That is also a common action on the tail on a fully flying stab such as yours. I have also heard of people using glue sticks rather than bees wax. I have never found bees wax or glue stick to be needed but they are valid choices. They let you take the wing or h-stab off at the end of the day without difficulty.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 PM
D400webb

I don't know the model or maker, but the style looks older (even if the actual plane isn't); reminiscent of designs from 15-20 years ago. I will suggest, based on the apparent thickness of the vertical stab that it was meant more for sloping than thermalling, but it could just be a non-optimal design to house the control arm for the flying horizontal stab. I don't see any ailerons on those wings (but this could just be just a function of the pics), or any wiring or accommodation for aileron wiring, and there doesn't appear to be much dihedral, so again, this suggests to me a fairly fast design likely meant for sloping (the speed would be needed to make to small dihedral effective).

With respect to holding the wings on, take a look at the empty opening in the fuse between the wing rods. It looks like this will line up with the wing base plate opening that has a horizontal piece that extends part way across that base plate opening. A spring, or rubber band, could be slipped over this horizontal piece in the opening on the wing base plate, and connected to the opposite wing in the same manner.

Last edited by D400webb; 01-18-2015 at 10:14 PM.