Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

TOWER HOBBIES VISTA EP

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:04 AM
jrmextra
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOWER HOBBIES VISTA EP

I purchased the Tower Hobbies Vista EP Sailplane. ARF
Tower Hobbies discontinued the original battery that was recommended for this aircraft. I have purchased the Electrily 8.4V 3600 Battery and it is too wide for the aircraft. I then purchased the same pack but the 3000 battery. it fits but the aircraft is way too tail heavy. Any suggestions as to which battery is the best to use in this? Thanks.
John
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: TOWER HOBBIES VISTA EP

OK....... I checked out Tower to see what the manual said about the recommended battery. They recommended a 2000mAh NiCd/NiMH Sub-C pack. They would weigh about 12 ounces, at least the stack of 7 Sub-Cs I just weighed were right at 11.1 oz and some wire and Deans connector would bring that to about 12.

Looking at the Electrifly 8.4V batteries, I don't see >1100 to <3600 NiMH at all. However, the 3600 is 17.5 ounces. A 3000 from the present line of batteries is going to be way heavier than the original. I'm guessing your 3000 would weigh around 15 ounces. That's either the same the suggested 2000 weighed back in it's day, or it is heavier.

If you're sticking with NiMH it appears you're stuck with what you got. More capacity from those comes for larger sized cells, and it appears you've got the next larger ones in the battery that won't fit.

How far back from the LE was the CG with that battery?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a 2200 3S LiPo. More power less weight.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:03 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume you have the stock motor, prop and ESC.  That is usually an 8X4 on a speed 600.  Will pull about 18 amps as I recall, when using that 7 cell pack.

Forget sub C size NiCd - too heavy and too little capacity.

A size NiMh will save some weight and are smaller for the capcity.  If you have a NiCd/NIMH charger you can charge them no problem.  If you only have a NiCd charger you need a new charger. 

A 2S lipo is a little lower in voltage but saves a HUGE amount of weigth.  Generally results in a better climb.  I replaced a 14 ounce 2100 mah subC NiCD pack with a 2100 mah 2S lipo and saved 10 ounces.  Glider climbed better and thermaled MUCH better.  That was a Great Planes Spectra e-glider. The electric form of the Spirit.

A 3s lipo will cause your motor to pull too many amps but the motor can stand it for about 30 seconds if it has enough cooling.  But will your ESC might not handle it.  A wattmeter helps.