Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glow engine for 16' glider

About 30 years ago my uncle gave me a 16' scratch built glider with a power pod that I have stored since then. What size motor do you think would be good? I sort of remember him saying to use a .25 but it weighs a lot more then my Kadet Jr with a .25. I don't remember the name of it but it was most likely from RCM. I could not find it in their online plans. It has a narrow wing cord and looks fast. My uncle said to make sure to dig the nose in with full down elevator when landing so it doesn't keep sliding. [X(] I know a .09 will get my paragon up ok and that's about a 10' wing. And .049 always worked good on my 6' gliders.

Thanks for any help!

Picture is posted a few posts down. Would be nice to ID it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Glow engine for 16' glider

Is there a reason you want to avoid electric?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It was origonally set up for glow. Plus, I have no electric stuff and can't afford the investment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unless it's on the heavy side it's likely that a .25 would be fine. A .25 would give a nice climb for anything up to around 5 lbs. If much over that then consider upping it to a .35.

Keep in mind that there's a LOT more wing than your Kadet. Also you're looking for a climb that is like a strong uphill glide versus a steep power model angle. With the big wing it comes down to the weight to power loading. And up to around 5 lbs a .25 would be OK. If it's getting close to 6 or more then a .35.

You're also working with a power pod. Put too much power into the pod and you'll end up with thrust line issues related to the high location of the power above the true CG position. This can tend to produce a strong nose down pitching force. Given that it's best to remember that it's all about "gliding uphill" for a power pod glider.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Years ago, I had a 13-foot Kirby Kadet, which had been converted to power, and which had a sprung undercarriage. L/D of about 5, I should think. That had an old Profi .61 on the front... ample.

Based on that, I'd have thought that something in the region of a .40 would be a good choice. I mean, you do want the thing to climb at a reasonable rate, don't you?

What engines do you have?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It weighs in at 4.5 pounds without a motor. Engines I have are .25, .29, .35 but only the .25 is R/C. The glider has a flexible throttle cable which should be nice to find the sweet spot for a nice climb out.

My brain just turned on a bit ago and told me to measure to see what size prop will fit. There is 5" from body to crank center so my guess is that a 9" prop is the biggest. So then that must mean a .25 swinging a 9" and maybe 5 pitch could be used. I probly bothered you guys for nothin.

Thanks for the info on power pod thrust effects and engine to weight. It's all helpful! I used to have a Windrifter II with a .049 para-pod which made the climb out like it was walking up steps. Looked goofy but you could keep pointed into the wind and the pod would land near you.

Maybe someone can put a name to this? I set an old .29 with a 9" prop for looks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo39814.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	272.9 KB 
ID:	1812664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf14392.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	1812665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dj11545.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	1812666  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks almost like a Challenger. 145" wing span (12 feet) If yours is 16 feet, might be a modified kit

http://www.skybench.com/slnost.html]Skybench[/url] Aerotech sells the kit (scroll down to about the middle)

I used to get my 10 foot, 3.5 pound glider up with a TeeDee .049. Fly it on the wing, hook a thermal and spiral on up. Could easily speck it on a 3 minute engine run. A .25 on yours will be plenty. Used a 3 blade prop if you have clearance problems.

Don
    Revver Brother #94

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fit your biggest engine... add a little fuel... tune for full power ... launch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I looked at the Skybench. There's a lot of nice airships there. *drool* The Challenger is a polydihedral where mine isn't. It's possible it was taken out to make the wing tips easier to manage. There are a couple of thick metal rods in the center section that the the tips slide onto. It is also possible that it came from an enlarged plan. My uncle liked to to do that. Good idea on using a 3 blade prop if needed.

I'm working on getting the guts to just chuck it. It's feels a lot different than a Paragon in your hand. Them long wings bounce a bit. Plus I need a big area to try it out. There is a park next to a large sod field that is a canidate. Someday before winter comes...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    the 99" Butterfly did well with .25 motor. I would sugest an OS LA 40 or 45. They weigh about the same as a ball bearinged .25 engine and are not pricey. And they are easy to run.
    Yes dear, I did glue my hand to the airplane to keep from dropping it.