Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Chrysalis or Spectra/Spirit

Old 10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Forced_Induction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysalis or Spectra/Spirit

Hello all,

I am in the market for an electric glider kit. I have been flying RC for 8 years, and want to try my hand at gliders. I like how the both of these models have interchangable wings with their sister model. I would like to buy an electric model for now, and have the option of switching to a pure glider if i decide to pick up a hi-start at some point.

My question is for those who have had the ability to compare both. what are the good and bad of both?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 AM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chrysalis or Spectra/Spirit

The Spirit/Spectra is a fairly good 2M sailplane in the non powered version. The EP version is very under powered if you use the stock motor setup that comes with it. I'd strongly suggest that you swap the stock brushed motor out for a brushless outrunner/inrunner motor so it can actually climb with a little authority. Also go to a folding prop system to give you a cleaner profile while gliding. Go to a Li/Po battery as well for longer motor runs that you can get with a Ni/Cad system as shown in the stock version. Other than the weak motor the Spectra isn't a bad EP sailplane if you build it straight and as light as possible. Construction is straight forward and pretty strong.

I don't have any experience with the Chrysalis as of yet, but friends that have it tell me its a good sailplane in either configuration. Eventually I plan on building one up and making a second fuselage with an EP system like I did for my Paragon 3m.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Forced_Induction

thanks for the reply.

I should have clarified that. I intend on throwing the stock power system into the bottom of my parts case (because i cant throw anything out). I will probably use something in the 200-250w power range, and ive got tons of 1300 3s packs kicking around to use. I will also probably use hitec 5085 or 5245s for servos instead of full sive as well.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Which one appeals to you more. Then go with that choice. Either way you can't lose. Both are good flying models.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:17 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I own a Spirit and have flown the Spectra. Both are good but I always felt the Spirit was kinda heavy.

I have read so many good reports on the /Chrysalis that I think I would advise you to go with that.  I also hear it is an excellent quality kit and there are several build threads on the forums.