Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Flying today was a treat....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Flying today was a treat....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flying today was a treat....

My favorite club flying site often has surprises. It's also the best site I've ever flown on. Today had excellent weather but a small turnout. Right after we got started, we heard a couple of planes off to the west that were obviously doing aerobatics. It was a great visibility day, but they were way out. We heard them awhile but could not really see them very well. Then they flew off to the north.

As is always the case, right after almost everyone packed up for the day and headed home, they came back. Jo and I were still there. He had his glider in lift. I had a fresh battery for my glider, but also had my camera in the car. In spite of the lift looking really good, I decided to pull out the camera and see what pictures I could get.

In this picture, the higher plane is closest to the camera. He’s finishing a high-side pass on the other plane and is at it’s 8 o’clock. The smoke shows he’s no longer hitting, but there is a fair trail of it off camera.

Amazing flying site we have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58487.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1818922  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Flying today was a treat....

Where is your field at?
I saw some type of vintage plane fly over the shop around 9:30 in west Asheville.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: vicman

Where is your field at?
I saw some type of vintage plane fly over the shop around 9:30 in west Asheville.

Just outside of Mocksville. We're also a couple of miles from an airport where a number of warbirds and such are hangared. It's not so much to see vintage planes go over.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are about 45 minutes from where I live. We usually do some form of glider event every year. Last year we joined up with Hunting Creek (Wilkesboro) for a Sig Riser contest. That was my first glider contest, I liked it a lot. If you should host something like that, please let me know.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get  regular visits over our field from a local airport with a Decathlon , Navy SNJ, and T28 Trojan  doing flyovers, aerobatics, and sometimes some VERY low fly-bys right down our runway! They have an Extra there too but have yet to see it over our flying field...they tend to keep that closer to the airport. Good stuff indeed !