Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hi-Start Components

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Christen Eagle 1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi-Start Components

All you glider flyers sorry for this dumb question. I am a veteran flyer but new to launching gliders with Hi-Starts. I am putting together the components for a home made Hi-Start and I have no idea how you guys are attaching the rubber tubing to your stake end and the nylon line on the other. Are you guys tying knots in your tubing or are there inserts slipped into the tubing and clamped and then using snap swivels on the ends? If anyone can respond with a detail answer or photo, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Old 09-12-2003, 04:13 PM
jerry dotson

Default RE: Hi-Start Components

Go to the link. It is a drawing of the Hi-Start. Just tie a knot in the tubing to fasten it to the metal rings.

http://www.dynaflite.com/manuals/dyf...addendum-a.pdf
Old 09-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't tie knots in the rubber. I use the largest diameter dowel I have in my dowel pile that will slip inside the rubber 'hose'. I cut a 2" piece, goop it up with Household Goop, slide it in the hose about 1" , then wrap the joint with string. I drill a hole 1/2" from the end of the dowel that sticks out of the rubber and tie a line to the dowel end. I have a couple of histarts that have held together like that for about 5 years.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Rejean Boucher

[img][/img]
(The attachment points viewed are on the anchoring end of the rubber)

The pics show what type of attachment I have been utilizing for many yrs. For the small diameter, I simply route as shown; for the big stuff, I use pins from the hardware store, which are slightly bigger than the inner diameter of the tubing. Make sure that all oil residues is removed from the pin and roll rubber back as much as you can to get approximately 2 inches transferred onto the pin. The small piece of tape you see on the picture is not under the rubber, its only there as a witness line to indicate possible slip on initial testing. The harder you pull the more it squeezes the pin. When I was in Europe the folks their would use small plastic pins to splice rubber together for added length.

Reg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71554.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	60982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49859.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	60983  
Old 09-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Rejean Boucher

Something I forgot to mention, is to make sure that you blend out any possible burrs on the pins end. I go as far as rounding the pin's tip, thus preventing possible internal tears to the rubber.

Reg
Old 09-14-2003, 02:39 PM
RobCondliffe

[:-] I like Jacks idea of sliding dowel in. Im lucky enough to have a lathe so make a plastic dowel with a slight waist in it ,then slip the rubber over and hold it in place with a couple of small cable ties.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:54 AM
Christen Eagle 1
My Feedback: (3)

Guys,

Thanks for all your replys regarding the Hi-Start assembly. I think I'm going to lean towards Jack's idea on using pins inside of the rubber. I don't have much experience with Hi-Starts baut my feelings is tying knots in the rubber probably will reduce the life use of the tubing, just my opinion. Again, THANKS for your replies.

Jim