Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glider case for transporting

Hi guys and girls!
    I did a lot of googling and searching on a subject. I need a safe case for my fairly big glider (Graphite 2E) to transport it to the field and back.
    Longest wing part is 4ft (122 sm) and fuselage is 5ft 2in (157sm). Tail fin is 14.5in and wing root is 12in.
    Was looking for something like rifle case, checked local gunsmith - nothing that would fit the wings. Fuselage is probably too long anyway to fit in a case.
    Anybody care to share experience on a subject? I wouldn't mind building one. Checked the Home Depot - didn't find any materials suitable for the job.
    I am not interested in glider bags etc. I need something I can safely drop in a trunk of a car with dropped rear seat (yes, I have sedan).
    Any ideas, experience, links would be greatly appreciated!
    cheers,
    Mark.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Glider case for transporting

I have built different transport boxes from simple door skin 1/8 ply. I use 1/2 cove or 1/4 round moulding to reenforce the corners and just CA the whole thing together. Double up the areas where you put the hinges or latches. I prefer latches and lift the whole lid off and set it down. You can cross brace the inside with the same door skin with cut outs to hold the parts or use ordinary foam. Once the whole thing is together it is quite strong. The only example I have at the moment is a propeller storage box I made to store all my props on the prop hub instead of lying down in a box or shelf. I can take some pictures of it if you’re interested.

One of my fellow flyers made his box out of foam everything fit inside nice and neat with perfect cutouts to hold everything in place. He liked the idea of my using the door skin so all he did was to use contact cement and covered the outside of the foam box with the door skin. He went and finished it with water based clear and it looks real nice.

Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Soft or hard case?
    Revver #125, Pico Owners Club #3
    R/C Anonymous. My name is Evan and I have not flown for 14 hours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Door skin is 1/8 plywood its hard skin.

Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On RCG there is a well known soft case maker going out of business selling off his last bags at great prices.
    Revver #125, Pico Owners Club #3
    R/C Anonymous. My name is Evan and I have not flown for 14 hours.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not the one looking thanks anyways. When ever I have needed soft wing bags I have made my own. May not be fancy but they work and the price is right.

Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Propworn

I have built different transport boxes from simple door skin 1/8 ply. I use 1/2 cove or 1/4 round moulding to reenforce the corners and just CA the whole thing together. Double up the areas where you put the hinges or latches. I prefer latches and lift the whole lid off and set it down. You can cross brace the inside with the same door skin with cut outs to hold the parts or use ordinary foam. Once the whole thing is together it is quite strong. The only example I have at the moment is a propeller storage box I made to store all my props on the prop hub instead of lying down in a box or shelf. I can take some pictures of it if you’re interested.

One of my fellow flyers made his box out of foam everything fit inside nice and neat with perfect cutouts to hold everything in place. He liked the idea of my using the door skin so all he did was to use contact cement and covered the outside of the foam box with the door skin. He went and finished it with water based clear and it looks real nice.

Dennis
    Hi Dennis,

It would be great if you please post some photos of the transport boxes you have built so that we can see the details to better reproduce it.

Carlos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you all for quick responses!
    I'd rather have some modules for wings and fuse and be able to snap them together in the trunk. I was thinking of making something of a white foam but I do not like foam coming apart in small white pieces, so it should be something covered.
    Or could be something really soft that separates pieces in the trunk and holds them tight enough. Nothing I've seen matches what I want, but then again, I never searched for a simple solutions :-)
    The reason for this post is to see if anybody built something already.
    Another thing I am considering is to use just a foam inserts from a hard cases like Pelican cases with custom cut-outs.
    Still thinking..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: longsoar
    Another thing I am considering is to use just a foam inserts from a hard cases like Pelican cases with custom cut-outs.
    Still thinking..
    If you (a) can fit your plane inside the Pelican case and (b) afford paying that price, then you should just go for it! Seems to be a very good solution as it is!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: czorzella
    If you (a) can fit your plane inside the Pelican case and (b) afford paying that price, then you should just go for it! Seems to be a very good solution as it is
    Well, there is not case I have found that'll fit the whole glider (considering fus is too long). I would've paid the price but, as I said case would fit wings only without fuselage.
    Protecting a 2.5 grand glider in a $400 case seems like a good idea to me but case would be too bulky, unless I'll take apart fuselage to make it a bit shorter.
    I'd rather keep fuselage assembled while going to a local field.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57331.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	265.8 KB 
ID:	1846073  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you (a) can fit your plane inside the Pelican case and (b) afford paying that price, then you should just go for it! Seems to be a very good solution as it is
    Well, there is not case I have found that'll fit the whole glider (considering fus is too long). I would've paid the price but, as I said case would fit wings only without fuselage.
    Protecting a 2.5 grand glider in a $400 case seems like a good idea to me but case would be too bulky, unless I'll take apart fuselage to make it a bit shorter.
    I'd rather keep fuselage assembled while going to a local field.

Your situation is a little better than mine; You can separate the wings in three parts.

For now, I'm using the solution I found at Espritmodel know as "StandBox System Sailplanes 002" http://www.espritmodel.com/standbox-...sailplane.aspx

I'm really looking forward to have a closer look at what Dennis' (PropWorn) "simple door skin" plans are. Perhaps it will resolve my glider's storage and transportation issues for once and for all.

Carlos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Carlos!
    Unfortunately StandBox is too small for my glider. It will not fit the wing as my chord is 12 inches at the fus and 10 at the wing tip joint. Although idea is not bad at all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, found a great website [link]http://www.mycasebuilder.com/[/link] used a case builder - ended-up with price of $380 + S/H. Nice, but then I came-up with idea of building foam box myself.
    Went to Home Depot, bought a couple of attic vent for base and 8 cans of Big Gap filler, drop cloth and plastic.
    I will build an encasing for the wing parts by molding a foam around real parts of the wing. Will see if it works or not.
    First I applied a silicone as a release (I don't know if it will work or not) on a plastic vent. Then poured the foam, placed a plastic on a top of the foam and then put a real wing over it.

Name:	Vt58301.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	1846165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27533.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	1846166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch95225.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	1846167  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It takes a long time for foam to cure/dry. So I put the wingtip over the top of the drying center piece..

Name:	Bz77683.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	1846192  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Door skin and quarter round cleats. Brass screws, stain and varnish for the 'pretty' factor. The top is a flush fit onto the cleats. Stackable. Blue foam isolates sailplanes parts within. If you crash then you have a ready made casket!

Name:	Ay75428.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	1846221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql33444.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	1846222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm23143.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	1846223  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeap ARUP!
    I had almost exactly the same case in the 80's. Traveled a lot with it on a Nationals and many other contests. Even flew on airliners with it (took it as carry-on).. Good old times, no TSA and crap.
    It did fit 3 gliders F3B, all gear and my pans, shirts and all

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alright! Done for today.. Hopefully Tomorrow I can uncase the contraption with wings and stab still intact.

Name:	If10803.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	1846274  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Carlos!
    Unfortunately StandBox is too small for my glider. It will not fit the wing as my chord is 12 inches at the fus and 10 at the wing tip joint. Although idea is not bad at all.
    Yep, that's correct! Yours probably wouldn't fit well in these.

This is how I`m keeping my glider which is a little smaller than yours... Its a Maxion from JP Models.

Name:	Yw66825.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	1846544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Te46866.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	1846545  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Door skin and quarter round cleats. Brass screws, stain and varnish for the 'pretty' factor. The top is a flush fit onto the cleats. Stackable. Blue foam isolates sailplanes parts within. If you crash then you have a ready made casket!
    Great pictures the only thing I did different is built the whole box complete then sanded it finished. Set my table saw fence to divide the box down the centerline length wise. After slicing it I just had to stiffen up the openings of both halves and used snap latches to hold the two halves together. I could easily fit everything in the top and bottom halves without struggling and when open it became quite stable to assemble on. In fact made pop ups just like the big plane holders that held the fuse in place when putting things together. The best part was being able to stack them at home without having to rig any special storage racks.

Very nice ARUP I bet it got attention every time you pulled it out of the vehicle. I know I had quite a few comments on mine.

Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Longsoar and Propworm- for the last 'casket' of the three pics I'm going to put felt in the style of the Italian flag on the inside portion of the lid. The name of the sailplane will be lettered in felt in the middle of the flag in another national color: Italian 'azzurro'! It'll make a nice display and save some answering questions. Yes, sometimes I think I have too much time on my hands. It'll be snazzy, though!

I like the idea of the box being cut after finishing but I just have hand tools so will have to be satisfied doing it the hard way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

UPDATE:
    The thing with the "Great Stuff" foam from the Home Depot did not work. Foam did not cure within the sheets of a plastic I had to wrap my wings in.
    So, I am looking into 2 part foam that will cure no matter what. Although I have to be careful as a mix usually starts expanding in 45 seconds or so. Good pre-cautions has to be taken not let the foam to get in contact with the wings.
    Still working on a a procedure on how to do it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

UPDATE:
    The thing with the "Great Stuff" foam from the Home Depot did not work. Foam did not cure within the sheets of a plastic I had to wrap my wings in.
    So, I am looking into 2 part foam that will cure no matter what. Although I have to be careful as a mix usually starts expanding in 45 seconds or so. Good pre-cautions has to be taken not let the foam to get in contact with the wings.
    Still working on a a procedure on how to do it.
    My only concern with this approach is that the wings may get warped when the foam starts to expand.
    Perhaps you could use a piece of wood as dummy parts in place of real parts and then do some carving work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My only concern with this approach is that the wings may get warped when the foam starts to expand.
    Perhaps you could use a piece of wood as dummy parts in place of real parts and then do some carving work.Β*

Well, warping those wing will take a lot of pressure. Damaging the surface is much easier and it is my main concern. Carving work is out of question - don't want to spend a lot of time on that.
    Got some info on Smooth-on foam that expands 18 times with 5 minute work time. Will go to them today to see if it will work for me. I'll keep you posted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Worst case is it all gets stuck together which might increase the drag a little[:-][:-][:-]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have one of these:
    http://www.kennedycomposites.com/wingbag.htm

If I was buying today I would probably get one of these for my 3M planes
    http://www.ne-aero.com/jackpak.html
    Long Island Silent Flyers