Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Need help setting up a tow plane.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Need help setting up a tow plane.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help setting up a tow plane.

Hey guys, I am currently building a 1/4 scale rearwin speedster and will be putting way more engine than I need. Every one at the field says it would make a great tow plane for the large scale gliders. My question is, how do I find the ideal point to attach the tow line?obviously that whole area needs to be very strong and solid, and I'm assuming it should be right behind the trailing edge of the wing, but is there a specific point for the hook? The last thing I want to do is crash my plane, or some one else's glider. Thanks, Steve.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68298.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	1869715  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need help setting up a tow plane.

Can of worms.

Tow from the tail. The towing area does not need to be terribly strong, since the forces are not great in normal use. The tow-line is not stretched out tight, but rather hangs in a catenary during the tow. A 10lb glider, with an L/D of 10, needs only 1lb of force to maintain flight ... ball-park ... add a bit for the climb and the take-off.

You can rig the release mechanism to a hard-point anywhere in the fuselage ... then lead a trace wire along a tube to the exit point at the tail. Alternatively, rig the release at the tail end. Just make sure that it's reliable.

On my bipe, the towline exits near to the tailwheel, having been fed along a snake' outer. The release mechanism is affixed to an internal bulkhead.

Here's an example.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k74EqrITs6E[/youtube]
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks alot. good to know.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

We do a lot of aero-towing and I can tell you that I politely disagree. You do not want to tow from the tail.

All it takes is for one glider pilot to get out of hand during the launch and the tail goes up on the tow plane, guess where the nose goes.....

There's an article coming out on aero towing in the next Model Aviation that addresses this but the short version is, right behind the trailing edge of the wing would be great. Keep the line over the stab when you take off.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUIGEay0D0w[/youtube]