Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

BEST RC STORE FOR GLIDERS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM
auggie622
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST RC STORE FOR GLIDERS

Looking to get back into gliders. Where is the best place, with guys that have excellent knowledge and not just salesmen, located in the LA area (los Angeles) - anywhere within a 40 - 60 miles radius. Ilive in the Wilshire district. I work in Simi Valley.
Looking mainly for high performance
Thanks, Steven
Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BEST RC STORE FOR GLIDERS

Espritmodel.com.
If they don't have it , you probably don't need it
Old 04-16-2013, 02:36 PM
wyowindworks

Soaring USA - soaringusa.com.  They are located in Corvina, CA right in the LA area.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM
longsoar

Steven,
Nowdays there is not brick and wall stores that sell good stuff. Only a low/intro foamies that fly acceptable or somewhat good, but no performance 90% of the time.
Did try many of them in the last two years trying to get back into the game. Ended-up buying a Graphite 2 from Kennedy Composites but did my research at the original Vladimir's Model website:
[link=http://f3j.in.ua/en/]Vladimir's Model[/link]
They make best stuff on Earth. I've learned the hard way - cheap gliders cost more on the end if you consider your time and money.
Never mind the joy of flying a great glider that performs.
Hope it helps.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 04-16-2013, 04:33 PM
SENTRY 62

espirit is a great store...

I also like Icare : http://www.icare-rc.com/

Sentry : FPVLAB.COM
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM
longsoar

ICARE is WAY TOO expensive (consider built time + sale price).
Poorly written website where you have to hunt for current prices (sometimes outdated), sometimes small and not descriptive images, sometimes not enough information on materials used.
If I am spending a $1000+ I would like to know everything about the model I am about to buy. If someone wants to sell it to me (and make money) - they HAVE to give me all available information right there and then!
Save my time and get paid for that by providing detailed information, hi-res images, diagrams, assembly manual, link to forums where this model was discussed, YouTube videos. Anything useful for me to choose your company over any other to make purchase!
Internet is very easy tool to deliver all the information available and sell with confidence. Icare just not one of those companies I personally willing to spend my time choosing the right bird.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 AM
SENTRY 62

I am an educated buyer - no "salesman" can sell me anything - I go buy stuff. I've never had an issue with iCare and their pro shop is fast turn-around (EP conversions for gliders, for example). To each his own. The more options that the OP has the better.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Icare does have some nice equipment and I have some . But when I have a question or even if I want to place an order pending an answer , it's almost impossible to get a call returned . Why are so many of these companies their own worst enemy ?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:32 AM
longsoar

Well, I was on the phone a couple of times with icare rep. They did not know their stuff. For all I know they could've been a shoe salesmen. They did not know the stuff, they did not really know what parts are for. The same we see on their website. I stay away from the companies like that even though "no salesman can sell me anything" as well.
Do you research (all I was saying if company cares for you - they would make much of the information available on their website with good pictures), buy glider that fits your flying skills. If you were advanced pilot - start one step lower first and then raise your bar once you figure-out what's left of your skills. Basically it's like riding a bike. All you have to do is oil your rusty spots.
Welcome back to the sport and the joy of flying!
Cheers,
Mark.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are looking for a Radian, Radian pro or an Easy Glider you might find those at a local hobby shop. Not likely much else.

I have had excellent experience with www.kennedycomposites.com . The Supra is probably the most popular competition model in the Eastern Soaring League.

I have two Supras and an Ava from Kennedy. Excellent gliders.