Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Electric Glider Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Vinyl Cafe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Glider Suggestions

Hello everyone, a friend of mine asked me if there are any electric gliders that he could fly up to 500 feet, shut off the motor and catch themals. Any ideas? I have no experience with gliders but he has quite a bit, so I don't think the skill level will be an issue. (I know this should be in the electrics forum but there were no glider sections there.)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Electric Glider Suggestions

Lots and lots.

Actually there is a sailplane section but this is fine.

The Parkzone Radian and Radian Pro (a bit more complex model of the Radian) are excellent starter planes for entry into eletric gliding. If you want something nicer but built up instead of foam there's the Mystique from E-Flite.

There are many more, its like asking "whats a good cheap car to teach my kid how to drive?"
Old 04-19-2013, 11:14 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m surprised your friend who is experienced with gliders would ask such a question. If there is enough lift, almost any model will thermal. I’ve seen an IC trainer, with the engine cut back to idle, thermal for half an hour. The real difference between an electric sailplane and one without a motor is drag. Weight is a factor only when the air is calm. The weight of the motor is matched by the nose weight in a pure sailplane. When the wind comes up, many sailplane pilots will ballast their models more than what a battery weighs to get the needed penetration. An electric sailplane needs a wider fuselage for the battery and that with a prop adds extra drag. As the size of the aircraft increases, the difference between the performance of a pure sailplane and an electric one decreases.

I have several 2-meter electrics. The lightest one will soar nearly as well as any 2-meter sailplane. The heavier full-house one is just so-so. I wouldn't recommend starting with anything less than 2-meters as the wing loading will be too high for satisfactory performance on most days. If your friend is a good pilot who won’t break a wing while landing on gusty days, he could start with a 2.5-meter wingspan model.

Allan

Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vinyl Cafe

Hello everyone, a friend of mine asked me if there are any electric gliders that he could fly up to 500 feet, shut off the motor and catch themals. Any ideas? I have no experience with gliders but he has quite a bit, so I don't think the skill level will be an issue. (I know this should be in the electrics forum but there were no glider sections there.)

Not sure I understand your note. You have a friend who is experienced in gliders asking you for advice on gliders? And you have no experience with gliders.

Not knowing exactly what is wanted here, Iwould recommend the Parkzone Radian electric glider. Probably the best first electric glider on the market.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

Hope that helps. If not, we need more information.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:57 PM
soontobeover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None- use a line...