Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHarder View Post
    Nice! So the ballast rod again is a solid rod replacing the black wing attaching one? Sorry if I forgot. I might have to try something like that...

I had a similar experience at the club on Thursday. Was a lot of fun catching the wind rides. We had a big thermal at the south end of the field too that another guy and I would resort to during other pilot's takeoffs. Was nice. I got about 45min on 1.5 batteries. Used a lot of full throttle to keep ahead of some of the gas and nitro planes. Then when I got around to the south end, I would let them go by. Worked well.

Mulligan- Thanks! Took awhile but definitely worth it! I can now spread the word about Rustoleum on Z foam...
    My ballast rod is a smooth steel rod that I place INSIDE the normal wing rod. Mine is only about 1/2 the diameter of the hole in the wing rod. You could get one that fills it. Just slides in and out of the wing rod when I want to use it. I have electrical tape on the ends to take up the extra space so it does not bang around.
    Long Island Silent Flyers
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Cool! I will have to try that! So if I use like a 1/4" solid steel rod it shouldn't be too heavy? Or should I use like a 3/16" or 1/8"?
    If it works, take it apart and find out why.

Evader ST | TL-01 MT | Micro BL SCT | Radian | Alias | MCX2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wow! What a nice job you did on your Radian!!! I bet it's easier to see against the sky now too. Looks like some strengthening mods to the elevator and wing? area? Nothing more relaxing that hooking a nice thermal. Funny how 90% of the nitro guys haven't a clue about that. Please send me an email when you get a chance...... Ernie Misner at: rpm14k@aol.com Thanks a bunch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHarder View Post
    Cool! I will have to try that! So if I use like a 1/4" solid steel rod it shouldn't be too heavy? Or should I use like a 3/16" or 1/8"?
    1/4" is a good start. I think mine is 5/16 but not really sure. You will see that the glider flies about the same but the glide is faster so it handles wind better.

My suggestion is to try in in fairly calm conditions first to convince yourself that this is not going to make your Radian go wild. It really doesn't.

I have a high end all molded Supra, 64 oz. I have ballasted that pure glider up to 100 ounces. Flies the same, just faster. Much higher sink rate but in a 25 mph wind it is like there is no wind at all.
    Last edited by aeajr; 06-15-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Awesome, I will get a pack of these then! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXR940&P=7

Or eBay is a bit cheaper considering the $5 shipping fee at Tower: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Wire-1...item4d1f2f043f

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I get mine at Home Depot. Walk in, pick a rod, take it home and cut it.
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yep, that's what I use.
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    How exactly did you use the electrical tape to hold it in? I have my own idea using electrical tape, but want to compare it to what you are doing. If mine works I'll share it. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
    My ballast rod is a smooth steel rod that I place INSIDE the normal wing rod. Mine is only about 1/2 the diameter of the hole in the wing rod. You could get one that fills it. Just slides in and out of the wing rod when I want to use it. I have electrical tape on the ends to take up the extra space so it does not bang around.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I wrap it around the end of the steel rod so that it fills up the void. It is just so it doesn't rattle around too much.

You could tape over the end of the wing rod to secure it inside if you like. I have not found the need for that.
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That's pretty much what I did. After multiple attempts to get the right amount of tape on there, the rod stiffly slides in and out. The tape is just the right diameter to make it a tight fit and stay nice and tight in there. I have to shake the wing rod vertically real hard to get the steel rod to come out. It's perfect! Thanks for the tip on this whole deal. Can't wait to try it out at the field either tomorrow or Thursday.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    ....and forget the flying field..... went there and nobody was around. Went later and still nobody around. I did find that the steel rod limits the flex of the fiberglass wing rod. I've noticed when flying that the flexing of the wing rod and wings is part of the design. Is the steel rod going to limit the flex to the point of changing the flying experience and way it flies?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Not that I have noticed. Of course the only time I use the ballast rod is in windy or gusty conditions when a little stiffer wing might be an advantage.
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well, I tried out my ballast rods. I bought one 1/4" one and one 5/16". I tried them out in a low wind area at the flying club. I tried the 1/4" first and it seemed to give the airplane a much quicker and snappier feel, which I liked. Then I tried the 5/16". It flew, but not very well. On a turn or when a gust would lift one side of the plane, having so much weight in the wings caused the plane to rock back and forth for awhile until it stabilized. I didn't like that. The larger diameter rod and it's weight also caused the Radian to drop out of the sky much more quickly on really slow passes. I almost crashed a couple times when I wasn't paying a lot of attention because I expected to have more time before it fell far enough to have to fly back up again. I've done a few more flights since then and have decided that the 1/4" is the best. I will be using that quite often, except when thermaling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The heavier the plane the faster it has to fly to stay in the air. So, when you have the ballast in the Radian it has to fly faster than when you don't. If you are getting wing rocking you are flying right at the stall speed. give it a click of down elevator to keep the speed up.

Likewise when landing you will have to land a little faster or it will stall.
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345