Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

full Carbon DLG

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Branko Ljubetic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default full Carbon DLG

Hi Everybody

Im in a proyect to design and build a Full-Carbon DLG. Since im from Chile, DLG`s in my country are too expensive, just consider the value of one of this birds in USA or Europe and add the shipping.

For start, im not thinking in build a balsa one. I really love balsa, but i think i can make a better weight to strenght ratio using carbon. Also, i was thinking on build a full built up carbon wing with carbon tissue cover. But also i read a lot of info on advanced profiles (like Drela´s ones) and the troubles on the TE with covering, causing to not take advantages of the profile. In other hand, im thinking in foam core wing, with carbon spar of course. The main disadvantage is about the cutting of the foam, to a good profile will be very hard. And i dont want to "dispatch" a nice profile because a building method since a think most important think in nice DLG`s is a good profile in a good wing loading.

Im a moderaltely nice balsa builder, and my old man is an "old -school" balsa artisan, his religion is U-Control and old Aldrich, Del Gatto, Goldberg and Palmer designs. I think this will be a chalenging proyect and for-sure my old man will be motivated to build and design with me. We are pilots too (im trying IFR now) and also he`s and architect, so he uses CAD programs very well.

With these considerations, im writing you guys to take recomendations in the design. Im previously making some notes, like important factors like when launching a binding pod will result in roll, and important think to minimize CS. But any recomendation of the experienced guys will be niceˇˇˇˇ

Thank youˇˇ

Branko Ljubetic
Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

Just remember carbon fiber attenuates the RF signal. If the antenna(s) are completely in the fuselage, you may lose RF connectivity.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Branko Ljubetic

Thank you, im considering special carbon receiver with 2 sat`s