Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Mystique

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM
NoResults
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pros and cons Mystique versun Esprit model Elipsoid 2.8. I am moving up from my Radian. If I go with the Mystique should I go with full house version?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Just happened to see the invitation in the next to last post about new pilots on the Mystique... well, I'm not 'new', 42 years in the hobby - (I wish I was new) .... first sailplane was an Oly99, then an Aquila, finally a Hobie Hawk ... then all power, all he time with helis too. I did buy and fly three Sirens with Kontronic equipment in them, and have one left. Now I'm getting to be an old guy, want to slow things down. I bought five electric sailplanes. The last two are the Mystique with ailerons and the Allusive.

First negative comment... I love reading where I can assemble these planes in 2-3 hours.... I'm still laughing. It took me two hours just to study the videos and trial fit some of the wing servos. About 20 hours later, my Mystique is ready to go. I worked on the Allusive today for about seven hours, and I'm close to being ready. I haven't glued the locator pins yet. I think they should be glued to the fuselage, not the wings, because the wing holes are sloppy compared to the fuselage holes. I'll sleep on it. Most of the rest is done.

The white electrical tape on both plane's wings is a cop-out. Spare me the "we do it all the time" and "it seals the wing seam", and my favorite "it's what they do with the full size gliders". Face it, it's a cop out. Some small cotter pins on the front stubs will do the job, and some tabs on the rear of the wing on the bottom might work too. But I will try the tape first. After I pull the covering loose on the wing a few times it will motivate me to do it right.

Seems to me the weak point on both aircraft is the alignment of the fuselage pushrods. Nice that they installed them, but they don't align vertically with any servos I tried to use including the recommended ones. The clevises on both planes are loose as a goose. I'm sure complaints about flutter come from the fact it's difficult to get a rigid pushrod assembly. If the holes in the horns are slightly over-drilled, coupled with the sloppy clevises, you are going to get flutter. The Mystique has the clevises under the canopy. The Allusive uses pushrods that I'm sure originally were to be hooked to the servos too, then bent and clipped to the V tail horns. They came installed that way. I reversed them, which is the way the instructions showed, and then sanded off the paint overspray and put some oil on them. They worked better, but they are still a weak link in a gorgeous fuselage. I'm toying with the idea of some external support near the V tail. It looks like it will need weight in the back.

I used Turnigy MG digital coreless servos in both sailplanes at about $20 each. Putting any prejudices aside, you might want to try the servos from Turnigy. I've been using them for a long time, and never had a failure or stripped a gear. Dead centering, and strong. I don't use the thin wing servos. Mine are lighter, smaller, and work better. I constructed some very light trays which make a very solid system for the Allusive. The aileron horns have been drilled and require you use the short Z bend pushrods because the hole is so big. Getting them in wasn't easy. If you try to enlarge the hole, they get sloppy. Once installed, mechanical centering adjustments require popping the covers off. What is with the tape? Stupid design. Yeah, I know, 'weight'. I installed the covers with four 2 X 6 mm screws, with a tiny drop of epoxy to stiffen the holes and the foam under the skin. I'm sure that tape weighs two grams more than the screws I used.

What do I love about these planes.... the covering jobs.... the fuselages .... the firewall designs... the overall design.... the looks.... that V tail (wow)....
What don't I like.... the pushrods, the mickey mouse tape, the clevises, the prices, reversing the motor shaft?, and the true time it took to assemble them, (although that's not really important).`

Now for the flying. Looking forward to it. The Mystique balances at 120 with the tail at 64mm off the ground. Haven't balanced the Allusive yet, but will within a few days. Everyone says it will be nose heavy. Hope not. I'm going to fly it with a 4S 1600-1800 setup and a 12-6 carbon prop. I'm using a 900KV motor, which is contrary to what others have used, but I think it will be fine. I have some 2200s three and four cells to experiment with also. I have a couple of backup spinners for which I paid $9 each with a 13 x 7 on one and a 14 x 8 on the other. The Horizon one for the Allusive cost $33 plus shipping. Must be really nice... I'll never know unless somebody buys one at the field. The $20 one I bought for the Mystic is nice...

Sorry to be so long winded. Back to the garage.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:26 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the report. look forward to your flight experience posts.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The Allusive will need weight in the back to balance. I drilled a small hole underneath and added lead shot mixed with 30 minute epoxy till it balanced.. The carbon pins all the way through the fuselage are very stiff, IMO it doesn't need reinforcing, and if you saw me fly mine at max q you'd probably agree

I've dozens of flights on both the Mystiques (FH and RES) and the Allusive and the tape works fine and if you follow the instructions, it works perfectly and won't pull up the covering.

The Mystiques took a while to build, especially as you say, rigging the wing controls. The Allusive went together in about 3 1/2 hours, that included photographing and documenting the build for my article.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Tony Iannucelli

Thanks for writing Andy. I read your fine article on the Allusive. Nice work.

My reference was to supporting the pushrods, not the V tail. The rods are very strong and the fuselage and tail setup is brilliant. The pushrods are weak and will flex under load, I'm afraid. I'll find out soon!

I clearly am a slow poke builder, drinking coffee, watching sports, all at the same time. Having written a few reviews myself, and having read 100s of them, let's just say some are exaggerated. The time element is one of those things that always seems to me isn't properly measured and described. Besides, no point in racing through an assembly. I think how long it takes isn't important. Getting it right and enjoying the process is.

Can't wait to fly these.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Ahh gotcha.

Well as you know we have to, unless there's an obvious safety issue, test and review planes as they come, and the Allusive flys fast and hard out of the box.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:36 AM
Rick1288

Hi, Have been flying my Mystique for several weeks now. A great flyer but have suffered from the dreaded aileron flutter. Scary! I have solved it by raising each aileron about 2mm measured at the tip. Remarkable results. I can now dive it steeply and perform aerobatics with no problem at all.
Rick
Old 10-13-2014, 01:50 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is my first electric powered glider and my first launch was terrible. Then it dawned on me that the launch is no different than a winch or "high start" Launched it the second time with this in mind and it was rock solid. In the air it has a wide speed range but making steep banked turns without tip stalling is in the hands of the pilot and not the fault of the sailplane. The last glider I flew was an "Aquila Grande" and sad to say but this glider falls short of the performance of the Aquila. I'll just keep plugging away and learn how to fly this particular model. I may just have too change my mind in the future.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:19 PM
aeajr

What was the wing loading of the Aquila Grande?
Old 10-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Tony Iannucelli

I finally flew the Allusive yesterday. Wow, what a magnificent sailplane. Not perfect, but darn close, in the air. The Mystique is next, and I'll fly it differently, slower and looking for lift. The Allusive found lift too, all by itself. But the huge loops, the inverted flight, the Cuban eights, all very exciting.

The motor in the Allusive got pretty hot on four cells. I'm drawing 500 watts and 37 amps on the ground. There aren't any cooling provisions in the fuselage, in or out. Anyone have a problem with this? Should I not be concerned? I was thinking I might cut some exit holes on the sides of the canopy near the rear but don't think the nose will tolerate any weakening created by cutting intake holes. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:49 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In the high teen
Originally Posted by aeajr
What was the wing loading of the Aquila Grande?
In the high teens.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Tony Iannucelli

Finally got to fly the Mystique yesterday on a perfect flying day weather-wise. The plane is all everyone said it is and more. I got two flights and can see it will take maybe twenty more to figure out what the plane likes, and how I should fly it. Landings will take some practice. Full flaps need a lot of down elevator programmed in. Balance point and elevator setting obviously are closely related on this plane. I tried a 3700mah four cell with good results. 20-30 minutes per flight should be the norm. The Mystique is that good. I'm going to try the Turnigy battery monitor in addition to the Eagle Tree altimeter which is already installed. Plenty of room under that classy canopy. Both the Allusive and the Mystique are really wonderful planes. Money well spent!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:14 PM
bentoad1

I have a 3 meter Mystique and I have a video of my maiden flight. I throw launched it and did two loops and a barrel roll without even a trial glide. It does inside , outside loops barrel rolls. This thing flies super as a sport plane and a glider with some 2 hr flights with a buddy to swap when you get tired. I love it. My camera man in this video was having a hard time seeing the plane in the view finder and I had to edit a lot of sky video but this is right off the build with no trimming.Flaps and crow really slow it down. .Sweet plane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOoLzBJhMg

Last edited by bentoad1; 12-12-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:31 AM
aeajr

Now that you have this really cool e-glider, why not have some fun with it. Try an ALES, Altitude Limited Electric Soaring contest. We will be holding one in April on Long Island.

You can learn more here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-gliders-sailplanes-slope-soaring-112/11612119-fun-e-glider-event-long-island-ny-april-25-26-2015-a.html#post11963490

If you are an accomplished pilot you an fly Expert or Sportsman but if you are new at this you can fly Novice. Novice pilots fly FREE.

Last edited by aeajr; 01-17-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:41 PM
bentoad1

I would love to fly with you guys but I am in sunny Florida. No hills but wonderful weather. I live on the beach and can get over 2 hour flights Bouncing off the thermals made when the sea breeze hits the hotels. You have to have back up flyer to take over when you get tired. The pelicans do it all day and it is cool to watch.
If you go to you tube and type in bentoad on the broadcast yourself site. I have some pretty cool videos. .I love my Mystique. Send some pics. bentoad
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7018.JPG
Views:	1213
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	2064744  

Last edited by bentoad1; 01-17-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Black Drape

Hey Guys
I just finished putting my Mystique together and am about to C.G. it. Are those measurements in the instructions right? I would think it would be way too heavy to fly.
Thanks
Ron
Old 02-15-2015, 01:20 PM
bentoad1

This plane is capable of amazing things The CG is dead on and you adjust it to your flying style. It turns on a dime ,inside and outside loops , inverted , It does is all. It thermals well . I put Crow on mine to slow it down. It flies super. I wish I had a camera man that could keep up so you can see just what it will do. Good luck. bentoad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOoLzBJhMg
Old 02-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Tony Iannucelli

Good luck on the maiden. 121mm is the balance on mine. Four cell, 3700, 25 minute flight. Battery had a lot left. Wonderful sailplane. I have to say I do like the Allusive slightly more, but both are wonderful. The Mystique will disappear on you. Go on sunny days.

Last edited by Tony Iannucelli; 02-16-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:08 PM
aeajr

Consider the CG in the instructions a starting point. You are likely to move it back.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:10 AM
RickC2

Might get weather good enough to maiden mine this weekend. I have been setting up my radio for the electric sailplane setup but will fly it normal acro for the first flight as I am comfortable with this.
I am moving up from the Radian Pro which I have enjoyed and still fly. I have used this to carry my gopro and smaller FPV cameras.
Will carry a small set on the mystique and hope to get some decient video.

RickC2

"It's real easy just throw it into the wind. No wait! No don't run, NO! don't point it up like that, NOOO! you have to keep the wings level!!!
JUST GIVE IT BACK TO ME I'LL DO IT!!!!!"
Old 03-14-2015, 03:59 AM
bentoad1

Use the power 25 that it calls for and it will go straight up. This plane has awesome power to weight ratio. Good luck. bentoad
Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 AM
RickC2

Well here it is!!

https://youtu.be/5ojcBEqHMic what cha think?

RickC2
Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 AM
RickC2

Well here it is!

https://youtu.be/5ojcBEqHMlc?list=UU...GhlUFmzRSYoNtQ

what cha think?

RickC2

Last edited by RickC2; 03-16-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:49 AM
FBaity

Default Mystique

Rick , link is broken.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:24 AM
RickC2

Originally Posted by FBaity
Rick , link is broken.
sorry, try the second one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.