Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Looking for parts for for Dodgson Windsong

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Looking for parts for for Dodgson Windsong

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 01:20 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for parts for for Dodgson Windsong

11-9-13

Dear Sir,

Have recently taken a renewed interest in my Windsong. At the moment, it is missing it's fiberglass canopy and wing joiner dowl(steel i guess). Also, the radio has not been used in many years and is missing it's charger. Primarily concerned about the fiberglass canopy, that springs over the fuselage, as you probably know. If you know of some way for me to purchase a new or used one, please contact me?

Regards,
Ralph J. MInderjahn
576A Haddon Ave
Collingswood, NJ 08108
609-332-4745
Old 11-09-2013, 04:31 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ralph, I've split your post off into a thread of its own since you're looking for parts. That and the other thread is REALLY old.

If the model and radio is that old you'll likely want to look at replacing the battery packs in the glider and transmitter. The good news is that the chargers are pretty generic. If you get one for the same brand of radio you're likely good to use it with some replacement packs.

The wing joiner rod is steel. But not just any old steel from Home Depot or similar. It's a spring tempered rod and far, far tougher than the mild steel you'll find at hardware stores. You'll need to get a new rod from one of the sailplane outfits that supplies parts I suspect. Measure the diameter and let us know what it needs. I'm sure someone will know where to get something suitable. Also measure the depth of the support tubes in the wings and across the fuselage to get an idea of how long it needs to be.

Last edited by BMatthews; 11-09-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:38 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Back in the day we were making wing rods from Drill rod material. If I remember correctly the most common size was 5/16. Drill rod is pretty easy to find. As far as a canopy is concerned, I would throw a blue foam block in there, shape it, cover it with packing tape and then lay a few layers of 4 oz cloth and epoxy on it. Sand smooth and then pop free from the foam. Pretty easy process.