Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Anyone else flying old school style rudder/elvator, gas power pods?...post your pics!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Anyone else flying old school style rudder/elvator, gas power pods?...post your pics!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else flying old school style rudder/elvator, gas power pods?...post your pics!

I will always remember as a young kid my dad taking me with flying, and for a lot of those times the plane he'd take was a kit built Gentle Lady 2M glider with a black widow .049 engine on a pod...We still fly almost every week but mainly small electric planes...so when I wanted something new I settled on a Gentle Lady ARF and wanted to power it with a Cox .049...So I ordered one from tower and put it together. It went together well and is a nice ARF, it did have a blemish in the one wing where a rib had broke but it was a 15 minute fix. Then the search on eBay began for a nice .049 but couldn't find a nice one for a cheap price till a friend mentioned his dad had one...I scored a very early Cox Golden Bee on a sig wood power pod. The pod was ugly and crooked but with some work it was looking sweet and painted to match the glider and I was happy to have such a cool old engine pulling the plane up...Here are some pics from the maiden flight last week. Today I flew her again with the addition of an aftermarket head from K&B/Mecoa to accept a standard glow plug which worked great...I'll post better pics later.

So if you have pics of similar gliders flying the old school way post em here!..I can't believe how much fun this thing is...engine screaming and a slow climb out then hanging around as long as possible in silence

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0722.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	1941473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0723.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	1941474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0726.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	643.1 KB
ID:	1941479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0733.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	513.7 KB
ID:	1941480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	1941481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0730.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	1941482  
Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope. In 10 years of flying gliders I have never seen one. but I know about them.

I guess if you have one why not use it, but not something I would recommend for new.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:26 PM
longsoar

I flew in the 70's and 80's on a "left stick" and felt I can never fly "American mode". When I started to fly a full scale gliders in the 80's it became less important which side I am using for "stick" since I am flying real glider with left and right hand with no difference.
Although I switched to RC right stick only in 2011 with new Futaba radio completely, without any problem whatsoever. All radios can be used in any acceptable mode (with simple modification inside).
I missed the point of what's the point here? What are we discussing?
Just a thought.
Mark
Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Lnewqban

Originally Posted by Vertical3-D
........So if you have pics of similar gliders flying the old school way post em here!..I can't believe how much fun this thing is...engine screaming and a slow climb out then hanging around as long as possible in silence....
Very cool !!!

How do you limit the engine-running time? Just amount of fuel?
Up or down thrust angle?

The advantage of electrics over this is the folding props for a little less drag during gliding, I believe.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:58 PM
Vertical3-D

Engine runs till it runs outta fuel about 4-5 minutes max on a full tank and luckily its a slim 5.5x4.5 1/2a prop so not a whole lot of drag...I did it for the nostalgic cool factor, it looks and flys the old way before we all had brushless motors lipos. Its the cool feeling and big grin you get when a vintage .049 comes to life and the glider lumbers slowly to altitude then runs out of fuel and then relaxing silence
Old 11-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Vertical3-D

Oh and it has some up thrust...maybe 5 degrees to keep it from dropping the nose on launch, really behaves well on the engine and when gliding
Old 11-28-2013, 04:31 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally I don't care at all for electric power but I love gliders and am sometimes too lazy to stretch out the highstart. So, out comes the strap on power pod with Cox .049 and away I go! It's a blast when my flying buddies bring their power pod .049 gliders and we all fire up and fly.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Vertical3-D

yeah it's definitely a fun way to go...I have tons of electric stuff but theres just something cool about flying it with the .049...I may have some better pics today cause the weather here is looking nice so some afternoon flights may be in order
Old 12-01-2013, 05:01 AM
Vertical3-D

Here is an onboard video from the plane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Mx...aPzDgmBEqDYHoQ
Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Lnewqban

Here is an onboard video from the plane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Mx...aPzDgmBEqDYHoQ
Thanks !!!

Did you force the descending time?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Vertical3-D

I didn't force it but didn't prolong it either...this was the first flights for the camera rig and it was not a good day for lift especially when hauling a camera with its weight and more so it's drag plus the engine is a Golden Bee which had a small venturi and a single bypass port so was on the weaker side and didn't achieve much altitude...I moved the balance point back later that day and without the camera she flew noticably longer..maybe 6 minutes with not much more altitude...and as I said no lift anywhere...I did add a dual bypass cylinder and also enlarged the venturi to the size of a modern cox engine so it should have some more umph now to get higher and fly longer...I'll get new pics and vids next time out and maybe get a vid from the ground so you can see the difference...I can't wait for hot summer days when I can learn to thermal better...my dad said he was reglularly getting about 15 minute flight with his kit built gentle lady and a modern black widow engine...hoping to match that...I'll take the shorter flights for the ease of use with the cox compared to a high start...plus I can fly all day on a cup of fuel only using 8cc per flight...
Old 12-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Lnewqban

...plus I can fly all day on a cup of fuel only using 8cc per flight...
Very true!

Again, thanks.