Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

ALES on Long Island - May 24 and 25 2014

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:50 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool ALES - Electric Soaring Contest on Long Island - May 24 and 25 2014 - Reg is open

[HR][/HR]Our club, the Long Island Silent Flyers, is proud to announce that we will be hosting an Eastern Soaring League Electric Soaring contest flown by AMA ALES rules. www.lisf.org The tentative date will be May 24/25.

Over the past two years I have had many pilots contact me to ask if they could fly in the monthly LISF ALES contests, but these are for club members only.

Now we will have an open contest. If you are an AMA member, you are welcome to come join us.

Details still need to be worked out and we need to confirm that we can reserve that date with the County, but in 2014 you can come to LISF and fly in our ESL ALES contest.

Also check out the Eastern Soaring League calendar for other dates and locations for electric soaring, winch soaring and hand launch soaring contests being hosted as part of the ESL divisional series. www.flyesl.org

Note that this is just a few weeks before the 2014 Cams, Polecat, Soaring Circuits ALES OPEN SOAR which is held about 3 hours from the LISF field in Carslile PA. The LISF ALES contest could be a great tune-up event for those planning to attend the CAMS Polecat on June 13, 14 and 15
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2032667

It is truly a great time to be a soaring pilot.

Last edited by aeajr; 02-04-2014 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Correct title
Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 AM
aeajr

The link is to a video of an ALES contest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtcgsEOsReQ

Group Launch - Tone sounds and you have 10 seconds to launch. Time starts when the plane leaves the pilot's hand.
Flight time is kept by a timer standing with the pilot.

A device in the glider cuts the motor at 200 meters or 30 seconds, whichever comes first
The task is to look for thermals to keep the glider in the air for 10 minutes, unpowered. If you restart the motor you get a zero for the flight.

Try to land at exactly 10 minutes for maximum score. Seconds over or under cost you score.

The yellow tape on the ground defines a circle 20 meters across. Your landing points are based on how close you land to the center of the circle. 50points at the center 1M radius. 9 meters out is 5 points.

This particular contest was flown "unlimited" which means electric gliders of all types are flown together and compete directly.

Each flight group is scored as a group with to time in the group getting 1000 points and everyone else getting a % of that. Contest of this type typically have 4-10 pilots in a flight group depending on how large the field is and how many pilots there are.

There can be multiple flight groups in a round depending on how many pilots you have. When all flight groups have flown that is a round.

Minimum 3 rounds needed to be an official contest. Can be as many as the CD wants. Typical is 6 to 10 in a given day.

The most popular entry level ALES glider has been the ParkZone Radian. Stock out of the box it will hit about 170 meters in 30 seconds. Simple prop change and upgraded battery and it can hit 200 in about 27 seconds.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

As you can see in the video the range of gliders flown in ALES is quite wide including foamies, like the Radian, thorugh built up wood to bagged wing to moldies. Wing spans are typically 2 meters to 4 meters.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 PM
aeajr

LISF ALES Contest Registration is Open.
Reg Link - http://www.flyesl.org/

This is going to be a fun event.

This will be an Altitude Limited Electric Soaring, ALES, event for electric gliders flown by AMA rules for event 631. You can find the rules here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...14Electric.pdf The final scores will be posted to the ESL web site and will be reported to the ALES League.

All e-gliders require an ALES device set to cut the motor at 200 meters or 30 seconds, whichever comes first. In ESL tradition we will fly Expert and Sportsman class of pilots. We will fly one class of aircraft, unlimited, meaning you can fly whatever size aircraft you like with whatever controls you like.

Rounds will be 10 minutes unless modified by the CD. Scoring will be MOM, man on man. As per AMA rules we will be using 5M 50 point landing tapes with 5 points per 1/2 meter.

We are going to cap registration at 44 to make best use of the 11 launch/land circles we can accommodate. No round will start after 3:30 on Saturday and no round will start after 2:30 pm on Sunday.

AMA membership required. You must show your AMA card to sign in at the field. On field registrations will be accepted but space can not be guaranteed so best to register on-line. If you have problems registering please contact Ed Anderson: aeajr at optonline dot net.

We will also accept Novice pilots if there is room. Novice Pilots fly FREE! Registration priority will go to Expert and Sportsman pilots but we usually have room for novice pilots too.

If you have never flown a contest before, that's OK. We love new pilots. We will help you and coach you if you would like the help.
Awards:

Awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Expert and 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Sportsman.

In addition there will be recognition awards for top 2M or smaller gliders in Sportsman and Expert so don't hesitate to bring your Radian, e-Gentle Lady or the like. Two meter e-gliders are very popular in these events.

Participation Certificate for Novice Pilots who are registered on-line, prior to the contest day.

Water/soda will be available to all at no extra charge.

LUNCH WILL BE AVAILABLE BOTH DAYS FOR $5 PER DAY.

You can find a list of local motels here: http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=318

Last edited by aeajr; 01-08-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:51 PM
aeajr

FYI, registration has been open for almost 2 weeks and we have 14 pilots registered. People from New Hampshire to Maryland and maybe VA. Should be a great contest. I would project we will exceed 30 and may hit the 44 pilot limit.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:49 PM
aeajr

It was announced yesterday that the League of Silent Flight will be establishing a soaring accomplishments program for electric launched glider pilots, tentatively being called the eSAP. If the tasks are based on or closely follow the model set by the SAP for pure gliders then there will be a contest component to the tasks as you move up the levels. Most likely ALES contests will qualify for that program.

So, keep an eye on the League of Silent Flight web site, www.silentflight.org for the details. And plan to come fly with the Eastern Soaring League as there are electric soaring contests being offered up and down the East coast.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 PM
aeajr

Update on the ESL ALES contests on May 24, 25.

We currently have 16 pilots registered and we are over 2 months away. I just made up the 5M landing tapes.

I currently have the contest capped at 44, but if we hit the limit I have enough tapes to take it to 4 rounds of 14 pilots or a total of 56. Let's hope I have to consider extending the cap.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:07 PM
aeajr

I have gazed into the crystal ball. I have looked into the future.

Weather for the ESL ALES contest at LISF will be partly cloudy, 68 degrees with winds of 5 mph in the morning going to 8 in the afternoon for Friday and Saturday. Sunday will be 7 mph going to 10.

We will have 28 pilots and we will fly 4 flight groups of 7 pilots each - plenty of room!

We will have our usual excellent heros for lunch and everyone will eat their fill.

We will have 12 pilots come in for Friday afternoon practice who will come back to my house after practice for burgers and dogs.

Saturday night will be a big table at Major's Steakhouse.

Saturday and Sunday will see awards a plenty and a smooth ride home for everyone with a holiday on Monday for you to enjoy with your family.

Overall it will be a fantastic contest and everyone will have a good time.

Really, that is what the crystal ball said. The contest is 4 weeks away so that is close enough for the crystal to make these predictions.

Ed, seeing the future, Anderson - CD

Now if I could just get it tell me where the thermals will be
Old 04-27-2014, 01:43 PM
aeajr

CONTEST IS BEING RELOCATED TO NJ.

Friends,

I just learned that there is going to be an airshow over Jones Beach this year on Saturday and Sunday, the same days as our scheduled contest.

Many of the planes, including the Blue Angels and vintage planes, are staged out of Republic airport which is only 8 air miles away, In the past when they did this they were all around the field and sometimes flew directly over the field.

There may be a NOTAM restricting the air space, but we won’t know till three days before the contest. However, even if there isn’t, these planes fly close enough to our field that it would create a potential hazard for the show planes and a potential restriction on the contest pilots, which would be unfair.

And I just got my e-Supra in the air and my Radian all tuned up and ready for the contest.

And I made up 14 landing tapes too.

Maybe next year, but for now there does not seem to be a date that would work as a substitute. I am very disappointed.

With deepest regrets,
Ed Anderson
Contest Director

Last edited by aeajr; 05-05-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 PM
aeajr

THE CONTEST HAS BEEN MOVED TO NJ

Update 5-5-14 -It is confirmed, this contest will go on but it will be hosted in NJ.

Host club will be www.sjsf.org

John Jenks will be the CD -

Registration will be on the ESL Website - www.flyesl.org

Location will be the Evans Mill Pond Preserve - Marlton, NJ

Tomlinson Mill Rd & Kettle Run, Evesham, NJ 08053

The flying field is located at Tomlinson Mill Rd & Kettle Run, Evesham, NJ 08053. It is near the Marlton Parkway. The entrance to the field is at the sharp bend in the road. Be careful - this is easy to miss!
http://www.sjsf.org/maps.htm

Mapquest suggests using 225 Tomlinson Mill Rd, Marlton, NJ 08053 for your GPS
Should get you very close. Put it in Mapquest and go to Satellite view and you will see the field.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:25 AM
aeajr

There are no 12 pilots registered for the NJ ALES. Should be a great event.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:07 PM
aeajr

Day 1 is done. We flew 7 rounds. I was in 4th going into the last round but did not do well so I dropped to 5th. But I had a great time.

The second contest will be Sunday. Not too late to register and fly.