Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

ST Models ASW 28 motor problem

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

ST Models ASW 28 motor problem

Old 06-29-2014, 06:44 AM
JPGale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST Models ASW 28 motor problem

Hi All,

I need some assistance, I have not done much with electric systems I have mainly been a glow guy. For my birthday I ordered myself a ST models ASW-28 powered gilder from Tower Hobbies, I have always wanted a powered glider and this seemed to fit the bill. Well once I had her out of the box and I hooked the battery and the rx up and tested the motor the motor would not turn, but all the servos would work perfectly. The ESC would also beep to indicate it was armed and make no other beeps. The manual is next to useless for this as well. I phoned hobbico customer support and they sent me a new ESC but the same problem persisted. The after a little while (I was so busy I was not getting much time to play) I phoned again and they sent me a new motor. I decided to hook the motor up to the ESC, the rx and the battery on the bench before cutting open the model to replace the motor. Well with either ESC I can not get the new motor to turn either. I decided maybe the RX was bad so I got a different RX that I had for a different aircraft I am putting together. That did not make any difference. Well now I decided to check the battery, I had about 90% of the battery remaining with both cells over 4v (I have a hitec lipo checker great tool), so I decided to see if the main battery connection was broken, I put a multimeter across the deans connector terminals and the voltage was over 8v so I think that is right as well. I check on the deans connector and on the adaptor side of the connector as well. When I ordered it I ordered the battery and connector that Tower recommended so I have to believe I got the right stuff. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do, I find it hard to believe I got 2 defective ESC's or motors. I am willing to put some money into a different ESC to find out if I did get a defective one, I would even be willing to put some money into a different motor as well, I may have need for them in the future and I could always sell them again.

Please help, I want to get his model finished and CG'd so I can enjoy some nice and peaceful flying time, rather than my normal run around at 100+ turning left type flying.

James
Old 06-29-2014, 10:21 AM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Hi,
Ya, I would be hard pressed to believe two esc's and two motors would be bad too, and I would look at the TX settings.

Please consider getting a servo tester, as they work great on esc's also. Naturally, spinning prop blades removed.

Nice to hear the over the top support from Tower though.

FWI; I hear tell the "beeps" come from the motor and not the esc.

Jared
Old 06-29-2014, 04:10 PM
JPGale

Hi Jared,

I can try my old DX7 radio and see if that makes a difference. I do have a servo test from RC Accents and use it all the time to setup the servos, I could not get it to arm the ESC.

Will let you know how that works once I have charged the radio.

Thanks

James
Old 06-29-2014, 05:14 PM
jcstalls

I use the old Astro Flight unit and always set/turn it to zero before plugging in.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 AM
JPGale

So I tried my other radio and still nothing. But I did managed to total screw my main radio, I may have to send it back to horizon for service, or use it as an excuse to buy a dx9. A thought did cross my mind. I am able to program the esc brake mode which requires turning on with full throttle. The only feasible option right now is battery not supplying the needed current as the voltage seems good. I will buy another battery and try that.

James
Old 06-30-2014, 03:00 PM
jcstalls

Man, what a PITA
DX9 is supposed to be an Ok radio

No other motors or escs?
Dirt cheap good used one's can be had here and over on RCG, along with FleeBay