Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

looking for a good 4ch electric powered glider...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

looking for a good 4ch electric powered glider...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 AM
cptcrusty1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a good 4ch electric powered glider...

I've been out of flying for a while due to the whole kids thing etc. I wanted to get back in by flying a powered glider. I've been flying the Spectra Select on RF 6.5 which is kind of nice, but would kind of like to loose the polyhedral.. Or... maybe something I could have 2 wings for. 1 for 3ch flight for the kids, one for screwing around with the extra power I plan on putting into it.

I flew a Dynaflite butterfly a while back, seriously over powered, 50% extra tail feathers.. was great until I got too happy with it. Lawn darted it pretty quick. 100 inches is just tooooo much wing. Built up kits are the flavor I'm looking for too.. I want the kids to pick the colors... LOL

Thanks
Crusty

Last edited by cptcrusty1; 05-26-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typo.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:03 AM
cptcrusty1

Bueller?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cptcrusty1
I've been out of flying for a while due to the whole kids thing etc. I wanted to get back in by flying a powered glider. I've been flying the Spectra Select on RF 6.5 which is kind of nice, but would kind of like to loose the polyhedral.. Or... maybe something I could have 2 wings for. 1 for 3ch flight for the kids, one for screwing around with the extra power I plan on putting into it.

I flew a Dynaflite butterfly a while back, seriously over powered, 50% extra tail feathers.. was great until I got too happy with it. Lawn darted it pretty quick. 100 inches is just tooooo much wing. Built up kits are the flavor I'm looking for too.. I want the kids to pick the colors... LOL

Thanks
Crusty
There are tons. Some cost $150 and some cost $1500 and some cost more. Do you have a price range in mind?

Thermal soaring?

Slope soaring?

Wood, foam, glass, ???

Since you are flying a Spectra I presume you want an electric launched glider, so what 4 channels?

Rudder, elevator, aileron and motor? Flaps??

Need a little more information.

Sport? competition?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:42 PM
laknox

I'm in somewhat the same boat as cptcrusty1, but I have no actual flying experience. I'm in the market for an RTF sailplane, ~2m, that's a nice, stable, forgiving flyer. In looking around, I've found 2 that look interesting and seem to get decent reviews; the ParkZone Radian and the FlyZone A3000 Calypso. Both are right about $250 for a complete plane and flying kit. Some comments I've seen about the Radian are that the wings can get loose and come apart in flight and that the empennage can be a bit flimsy, to the point where one guy used chop sticks to stiffen it. Haven't seen anything like that about the Calypso. Personally, I've spent a lot of time in real planes (172, 182, V-35 Bonanza, B-55 Baron, among others) and flew 1,000s of hours of combat sim in Falcon 3 and 4, back in the DOS days, so know flight principles pretty well, it's just the actual hands-on with remote flying that I don't have. Any suggestions on other RTF sailplanes to look at would be appreciated.

Lyle
Old 06-26-2014, 04:32 AM
aeajr

Originally Posted by laknox
I'm in somewhat the same boat as cptcrusty1, but I have no actual flying experience. I'm in the market for an RTF sailplane, ~2m, that's a nice, stable, forgiving flyer. In looking around, I've found 2 that look interesting and seem to get decent reviews; the ParkZone Radian and the FlyZone A3000 Calypso. Both are right about $250 for a complete plane and flying kit. Some comments I've seen about the Radian are that the wings can get loose and come apart in flight and that the empennage can be a bit flimsy, to the point where one guy used chop sticks to stiffen it. Haven't seen anything like that about the Calypso. Personally, I've spent a lot of time in real planes (172, 182, V-35 Bonanza, B-55 Baron, among others) and flew 1,000s of hours of combat sim in Falcon 3 and 4, back in the DOS days, so know flight principles pretty well, it's just the actual hands-on with remote flying that I don't have. Any suggestions on other RTF sailplanes to look at would be appreciated.

Lyle
It always comes down to your goals and they type of flying you plan to do. You saw the questions I asked cptcrusty1, but he never answered.

You seem to be leaning toward foam, so that answers that question. Here are the rest.

Thermal soaring?

Slope soaring?

Need a little more information.

Sport? competition?

What are your typical wind conditions? Under 8 mph? Over 20 mph? Again, thermal (flat field) or slope? Wind speeds have different meaning for thermal soaring vs. slope soaring.

I belong to a very active sailplane club. The Radian RTF is the recommended package for new members who have no experience and no aircraft. It is one of the best thermal soaring RTFs I have ever seen. And we fly them on the slope too.

The Radian has friction fit wings. If you are flying it as a glider you should have no problem with the wings coming lose, and if they do loosen up after a few years you can tighten them up with hot water. And you can always add a strip of tape for extra security. As for the tail, yes it is soft but that does not seem to hurt its thermal soaring abilities. Remember you are flying at very low speeds.

I have a fleet of over 30 aircraft, mostly gliders. Some those are hollow molded high end contest thermal duration gliders that cost over $2000. But the Radian gets regular duty for fun flying, for training and I fly it in club contests too.

If learning to thermal soar is your goal then the Radian is the RTF e-glider to get. Hands down. No comparison!

If you are buying an e-glider for slope soaring than I might lean more toward the Radian Pro or the Calypso, but you can fly the Radian on the slope too.

So, what are your goals? With no stated goals there can be no proper answer. They all fly.

Last edited by aeajr; 06-26-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:09 AM
laknox

aeajr, I'm in AZ, so thermals would likely be my ultimate goal. Winds here are actually higher than in the past (must be global warming), and I'm a native. I'd say averaging 5-20 on breezy days and not counting monsoon days. When I was a kid in the 60's, I can remember plenty of dead-calm days; not so much any more. I guess adding 3 million people does mess with the microclimate a bit. Right now, I just want to learn to fly without spending a ton of money; nothing fancy. Despite my knowledge, I may have no real head for it and, again, I don't want to be into this too deeply if I find that I don't enjoy it or simply don't have the skills to make it fun or end up making an expensive lawn dart. Do you have any experience with the Calypso, at all, or seen one fly? Frankly, I'm leaning a bit that way simply because of the wing issue. It has a carbon spar that the wings are actually screwed to, so that takes care of one issue. I just can't seem to find too many reviews of it. Thanks very much for your input.

Lyle
Old 06-26-2014, 08:28 AM
aeajr

I have no experience with Calypso nor have I seen one fly.

My experience with RTF or BnF is primarily with the Radian and the Radian Pro. Both good. With the Pro you would need a radio.

My focus is thermal first and slope second. My typical flying day is under 10 mph with occasional flying in the 10 to 15 mph range. Love the Radian up to about 8 mph. Then I add a ballast rod up to about 12 mph. After that I find it is not fun to fly. Great floater but not great in higher winds on the flat field. Slope is a different matter.

If you are more in the 10 to 20 mph range you want something with a little higher wing loading that will glide a bit faster. For that I would point to the Radian Pro. Don't know any of the other foam RTF/RR gliders personally so I can't make a personal recommendation. Sorry.

Calypso might be a good choice but I have never flown one.

I own an Easy Glider electric. That is better in higher winds than the Radian but that is an kit or an ARF or RR. No RTF that I know of.

This RTF is similar to the Easy Glider and, at $149 looks like a bargain. I have had my eye on it for a while be never had motivation to buy. Hear mostly good things.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ghz-radio.html

Calypso RTF
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCGNG&P=7
I see this one comes with a basic 4 channel Tactic radio which you could use to fly other TX-R planes. However it has no model memories and no significant mixing capabilities. In my opinion, is not worth the $50 they are charging for it in the RTF package.

A better path with the Calypso might be the TX-R version for $199. Has everything you need, just leaves out the basic radio. Take that $50 savings and apply it to a better radio.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCGNH&P=7

Skip the 4 channel radio in the RTF and get the Tactic 650 instead. $139 including another receiver for you next ARF or RR plane. Now you are flying with a 6 channel computer radio with model memories and mixing that is ready to take on many kinds of planes
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LWG753&P=ML

Takes the $$ up to $339 from $250 but now you have a 6 channel computer radio rather than a 4 channel basic radio. A better path if you plan to stay in the hobby and plan to add other aircraft. And receivers are fairly inexpensive.

And you can buy any of these TX-R planes and just bind them to the radio and you are ready to fly.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...TX-R&search=Go

Just some thoughts for your consideration.

Last edited by aeajr; 06-26-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:48 PM
laknox

Thanks for the tips. On a whim, I stopped in to a local hobby shop and they had both the Radian RTF and the Calypso Tx-R in stock, for very competitive prices; which surprised me. They basically told me the same thing about upgrading radios, especially with the Calypso as the stock radio; he felt it is a bit limited in range. The owner there was saying the same thing about the radio upgrade, too. If I find that I'm enjoying this, you bet that I'd do an upgrade, but if I just stick with the one plane, I'll stick to the stock radio. I had seen that Phoenix around, but hadn't pursued looking at it, as a couple places I'd seen it were out of stock. Maybe I'll keep looking for it and save myself some change. :-) Again, thanks.

Lyle
Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 PM
aeajr

Glad I could help.

I was not aware the Phase 3 Phoenix II was available in hobby stores. I thought it was a Hobby People exclusive. Found this review. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390881

Don't confuse it with the Phoenix 2000 sold by HobbyKing. Different plane as far as I know.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 PM
laknox

Well, I broke down and ordered the Phase 3 Phoenix II, today. We'll see how it goes. :-) Got a couple school yards nearby so I can practice in private without making a total fool of myself. :-) Thanks for the info.

Lyle
Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 PM
aeajr

i look forward to your report on the glider.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:40 PM
laknox

Originally Posted by aeajr
i look forward to your report on the glider.
A question... I'm seeing a lot of references to using CA (cyanoacrylate) glue for repairs. In my experience, using super glue on any foam just dissolves it. It this some special formula that doesn't affect foam or is the foam different than the run-of-the-mill styrofoam and CA doesn't affect it?

Lyle
Old 06-28-2014, 05:30 AM
aeajr

A question... I'm seeing a lot of references to using CA (cyanoacrylate) glue for repairs. In my experience, using super glue on any foam just dissolves it. It this some special formula that doesn't affect foam or is the foam different than the run-of-the-mill styrofoam and CA doesn't affect it?

Lyle
There is a foam safe CA but not all foams need it. Elapor, ZFoam both work great with regular CA. It is EPS, or Styrofoam, that melts with CA. Always test, but I use CA on my Easy Glider and my Radian with excellent results. You use a medium or thick and some kicker.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 PM
laknox

There is a foam safe CA but not all foams need it. Elapor, ZFoam both work great with regular CA. It is EPS, or Styrofoam, that melts with CA. Always test, but I use CA on my Easy Glider and my Radian with excellent results. You use a medium or thick and some kicker.
Thanks for the info.

Lyle
Old 07-01-2014, 09:52 AM
tjwitman

I'm flying the Flyzone Calypso now and it's GREAT! Plenty of power. Very well finished. Fairly reasonably priced for a foam glider. I fly it with the Tactic radio and their little receiver that so far has not given me a bit of trouble as far as range goes. I've been a Futaba person for many years but you can't beat the Tactic for price/execution. Don't be afraid of the Calypso. Hand launches easily and is very forgiving.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:31 AM
laknox

Originally Posted by tjwitman
I'm flying the Flyzone Calypso now and it's GREAT! Plenty of power. Very well finished. Fairly reasonably priced for a foam glider. I fly it with the Tactic radio and their little receiver that so far has not given me a bit of trouble as far as range goes. I've been a Futaba person for many years but you can't beat the Tactic for price/execution. Don't be afraid of the Calypso. Hand launches easily and is very forgiving.
I'll keep that in mind. I =almost= pulled the trigger on the Calypso, but that near-$100 difference, as a newb, sorta made my mind up for me. I know I'll probably never have the time and funds to get truly proficient at this, so really didn't want to invest a lot. Hell, I may not even have the head for it, so my nephew might get a real nice present. :-)

Lyle
Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 PM
aeajr

OK, now you ordered it. Here are some resources to help you.

Six Keys to Success for New Pilots
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2840882/tm.htm

THINGS TO CHECK ON AN RTF
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6582895/tm.htm

Detecting Thermals
http://f4bscale.worldonline.co.uk/Thermals.htm

> Hat, Sunglasses, what else?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5008712

HOW TO FIX WARPS, DENTS, TWISTS OR UNCRUNCH FOAM PARTS

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66805

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

Weather - knowing when to fly
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=236

> Plane Locators
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=237
> Getting planes out of trees
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=239

Performance Tuning Gliders
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=227

Feel free to ask questions, lots of questions

Last edited by aeajr; 07-01-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM
laknox

Wow! Thanks for all the info. Much more than I ever expected. Probably a sticky somewhere that I missed. :-)

Lyle
Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 PM
laknox

So, the plane came today and I opened it up and looked through everything, including reading the manual. First impression... Somewhat disappointed, but not surprised, given the cost. A long crease in the left wing top and a dent in the right wing top right out of the box, so the links to how to fix these will be being used PDQ. Manual is dated and shows the old-style push-rod connectors with a metal tube and set-screw instead of the threaded plastic clevices that came with the kit. Manual talks about 2 rubber bands holding the canopy on but my plane uses magnets. Receiver had been mounted in the fuse, but was loose. Hope to do a bit of putting-together tomorrow. Will get some pics after I get it laid out. A few questions...

1. Does anyone know if Phase 3 has an updated manual that you don't have to pay for?
2. Does anyone know if Phase 3 makes an AC adapter for the charger? Would love to be able to charge the battery to play with the servos and whatnot without having to use my car or truck.
3. Good methods for carrying the plane. Any tips for foam planes vs "hard" planes?

Thanks,
Lyle
Old 07-03-2014, 03:51 AM
tjwitman

Well, I broke down and ordered the Phase 3 Phoenix II, today. We'll see how it goes. :-) Got a couple school yards nearby so I can practice in private without making a total fool of myself. :-) Thanks for the info.

Lyle
Sorry hear that the Phoenix was a mess! Send it back if you can. It sounds like you were sent a plane that someone else returned! Where did you get it from?
As for flying a plane for the first time, please join a club. It will save you a lot of money and disappointment. In fact, it may very well keep you in the sport because so many people find out that they can't fly and give up. In a club, someone will teach you.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:24 AM
aeajr

1) Post photos - let's see the wings

2) call and immediately let them know there are problems with the wings. A small dent is nothing A crease concerns me. That is why I want to see photos.

3) Sounds like they made improvements on the plane but did not update the manual. Probably not an issue. Is the radio in the package the same one shown in the manual. THAT would be important.

The Radian goes back into the box. Don't know about the Phoenix. Anything that would prevent you from putting it back in the box?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:40 AM
laknox

Originally Posted by tjwitman
Sorry hear that the Phoenix was a mess! Send it back if you can. It sounds like you were sent a plane that someone else returned! Where did you get it from?
As for flying a plane for the first time, please join a club. It will save you a lot of money and disappointment. In fact, it may very well keep you in the sport because so many people find out that they can't fly and give up. In a club, someone will teach you.
Tom, I won't go so far as to call it a "mess"; just not consistent and with those little issues with the wings. The more irritating thing is definitely the manual not matching the contents. Not only that, but there's almost no detail on the radio and no real set-up "tips". Not worth sending back, even were I a total anal a-hole, as I'd likely get something similar back. :-)

Lyle
Old 07-03-2014, 06:44 AM
laknox

1) Post photos - let's see the wings

2) call and immediately let them know there are problems with the wings. A small dent is nothing A crease concerns me. That is why I want to see photos.

3) Sounds like they made improvements on the plane but did not update the manual. Probably not an issue. Is the radio in the package the same one shown in the manual. THAT would be important.

The Radian goes back into the box. Don't know about the Phoenix. Anything that would prevent you from putting it back in the box?
I'll get some pics later today, when I can lay it all out. Once I get the pics, I'll let you advise me if I really have something to worry about. Really looks more like surface damage from something sliding inside the box. I'll double-check the radio. See my comments to Tom about the radio. I can use the box, but don't think it will fit once I assemble the empennage. Also, the box is pretty flimsy.

Lyle
Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 AM
aeajr

All foam gliders are going to have surface imperfections. If not when they come out of the box then very shortly thereafter. It is the nature of foam. The joy of foam is not that it doesn't get damaged but that it is so easy to fix and that most damage will have minimal impact on how it flies.

A surface dent, a scrape are disappointing when you open a new box and you have every right to call and ask for a replacement or adjustment. But as long as it is not structural you might as well just deal with it. You will have to learn how to do this anyway.

Looking forward to the photos.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I get a kick out of an above post being chagrined about stiffening the Radian with chopsticks. I use bamboo skewers all the time for lots of R/C applications. Bamboo is a step up in strength from balsa - and we've done a lot with balsa over the years.

Bamboo ain't so bad - or unknown in manned flight. The 1907 Demoiselle used it extensively.

I have a Radian Pro (and now a UMX Radian) and they are lightly built of Styrofoam. But lighter invariably flies better. Several Radii at my local clubs have impressed me as being better at the glide but not necessarily better models. The Pro has a lot going for it as well and if you come across some slope action it plays well. Yes, very flexible empennage. Have not noticed that it's caused a bit of a problem in flight. Guys love to have something to do and I see lots of carbon fiber fixes on the forum for problems that don't exist. Yeah, foam does dent and ding up easily. Sometimes a light touch with a hot air gun will bring them back - but I usually don't bother. I did swap a carbon fiber wing tube for the OEM aluminum. Stiffer, lighter and longer. But that's in the Pro that is a bit heavier (and faster and has CROW capability for tighter approaches). I'm having every bit as much fun and then some as I did many years ago with my Sig Riser II and a hi-start.

I'd always poo-pooed foam (back to the Cox trainer in the 70's) but the Radian series and now the FlyZone Tidewater have opened my eyes to some excellent flying models. They're a bit more durable than the old stick and tissue models I flew as a kid. ;-) I would not hesitate a bit to recommend the Radian, Radian Pro and now the little UMX Radian. The latter will probably be my most flown model because it fits in small spaces - transport and in the air - and I can fly it in my front or back yard.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	demoiselle.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	2011262  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.