Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

looking for a good 4ch electric powered glider...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

looking for a good 4ch electric powered glider...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:27 PM
laknox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aeajr
All foam gliders are going to have surface imperfections. If not when they come out of the box then very shortly thereafter. It is the nature of foam. The joy of foam is not that it doesn't get damaged but that it is so easy to fix and that most damage will have minimal impact on how it flies.

A surface dent, a scrape are disappointing when you open a new box and you have every right to call and ask for a replacement or adjustment. But as long as it is not structural you might as well just deal with it. You will have to learn how to do this anyway.

Looking forward to the photos.
Here's a few pics of the marring on the wings. No way they're structural, but disappointing for right out of the box.

Lyle

Last edited by laknox; 07-04-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:31 PM
laknox

Now, here's the radio. As far as I can tell, there is room for 8 AA batteries, though only 4 have contacts to power the transmitter. Will this thing eat through batteries so fast that spares need to be carried right in the radio? Also, should I use some rechargeable Li ion batteries or just stick with good alkalines? Another little touch Phase 3 could have done was to include a neck strap for the radio.

Lyle
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010289.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	696.2 KB
ID:	2011486   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010290.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	2011487  
Old 07-05-2014, 08:32 AM
laknox

Got the plane together yesterday and found a couple more small issues. First, the fuse isn't straight. I haven't yet run a string down it, but I'd estimate nearly 1/4" lateral bow to it. Also, there's a slight twist to it. I'll get a pic of it later today.

More questions...
How long should these cheap chargers take to charge a battery from near dead? Had it on my car for over an hour and still had a red light.
There is a loud beeping noise when I plug the battery in. I =think= it happens when its plugged in and the radio's not yet on. Nothing in the paperwork to indicate what this is.
When the battery was first installed, the motor had almost no speed control; it would idle or go to full speed. Is this just what happens when the battery is low?

Lyle
Old 07-05-2014, 09:30 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your photo links don't work.

If the fuse is twisted and this is your first plane I would definitely contact the supplier and express your concerns, requesting a replacement. I could fix it but I would want you to have a clean glider to start. A few dings in the foam does not concern me but a fuse that is not straight does.

Unfortunately the manual does not seem to be on-line so I can't review the instructions.

NEVER POWER THE PLANE UNLESS THE RADIO IS ON .... EVER!

Always make sure the throttle is all the way down/zero. Turn on the radio. THEN power up the plane.

That is the ESC, the speed control telling you that it will not arm unless it detects the radio first. And if the throttle is not at zero chances are the ESC will not arm the motor. This is a safety feature to protect people who turn the plane on first or who turn the plane on with the throttle not at zero.

I could not find a thread about this plane on RCU but found a big one on RC Groups. You may want to post some of your questions there as those people have the same plane.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...I#post17423481

Keep asking questions and try to post some photos.

Last edited by aeajr; 07-05-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:47 PM
laknox

Your photo links don't work.

If the fuse is twisted and this is your first plane I would definitely contact the supplier and express your concerns, requesting a replacement. I could fix it but I would want you to have a clean glider to start. A few dings in the foam does not concern me but a fuse that is not straight does.

Unfortunately the manual does not seem to be on-line so I can't review the instructions.

NEVER POWER THE PLANE UNLESS THE RADIO IS ON .... EVER!

Always make sure the throttle is all the way down/zero. Turn on the radio. THEN power up the plane.

That is the ESC, the speed control telling you that it will not arm unless it detects the radio first. And if the throttle is not at zero chances are the ESC will not arm the motor. This is a safety feature to protect people who turn the plane on first or who turn the plane on with the throttle not at zero.

I could not find a thread about this plane on RCU but found a big one on RC Groups. You may want to post some of your questions there as those people have the same plane.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...I#post17423481

Keep asking questions and try to post some photos.
Oh, the manual's on-line...if you want to pay $9.99 for it, but I don't know if what you'd get is what I already have. OK, so radio on first, then plug in the battery. There is NO on/off switch. I'm not quite the newb to leave the throttle up...yeah, right. :-) Thanks for the reminder. I'll get some pics of the fuse tomorrow and post them and see what people say.

Lyle
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010280.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	2012005   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010281.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	2012006   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010283.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	2012007   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010285.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	2012008   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010286.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	2012009  
Old 07-05-2014, 07:48 PM
laknox

Weird. Not sure why the wing pics got attached to my last message. Sorry for the dupes.

Lyle
Old 07-06-2014, 07:27 PM
aeajr

Wings look fine. Nothing there to be concerned about. You can apply a little heat but I would leave them alone. They are fine.

When you shoot the fuse, the "money" shot is with the fuse inverted. Site down the seam on the bottom so we can see any left or right twist.

Then, right side up, with canopy off. Again, site down the seam so we can see any deviation from vertical of the fin or from alignment with the seam and the fin.

If the radio looks like it takes 4, then just put in 4 and see how it works.

I look forward to the rest of your photos.

Oh, did you bind the radio to the plane or did it come already bound?
Old 07-06-2014, 07:34 PM
laknox

Wings look fine. Nothing there to be concerned about. You can apply a little heat but I would leave them alone. They are fine.

When you shoot the fuse, the "money" shot is with the fuse inverted. Site down the seam on the bottom so we can see any left or right twist.

Then, right side up, with canopy off. Again, site down the seam so we can see any deviation from vertical of the fin or from alignment with the seam and the fin.

If the radio looks like it takes 4, then just put in 4 and see how it works.

I look forward to the rest of your photos.

Oh, did you bind the radio to the plane or did it come already bound?
Have had a very busy weekend, with company and honey-do's, so haven't had a chance to shoot the pics. Had to pull the wings due to company staying in my hobby room, er, spare bedroom, so pics of the empennage wouldn't be nearly as informative. Will try and get them tomorrow evening. I did relate this info on the Hobby People site, both in a product review as well as to their CS dept. We'll see what they say. Again, I really do appreciate your time and info, Ed. Hope to be flying next weekend.

Lyle
Old 07-07-2014, 06:07 AM
aeajr

These are normal checks on any new aircraft be it a $100 foamy or a $1000 molded high end. Everything has to be checked for shipping damage and for any imperfections in manufacture.

One of our club members purchased a 4 meter scale glider, all molded glass. Something happened and when it arrived the T Tail was twisted. He could have returned it but, for him it was an easy fix so he just repaired it and it flies wonderfully.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 AM
TimJ

The Transmitter does use 4 AA size batteries. 2.4 systems use much less power than the 72mhz radio systems.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 PM
laknox

So, I emailed Hobby People about the issues with my plane and they've sent me a return label to send the whole thing back to them and they're going to credit me back for the entire thing. Boils down to the fact that they don't have any spares to simply replace the fuse and empennage. So, I guess I'm starting all this over. Just glad they're willing to do the right thing. Will probably go for the Calypso, now.

Lyle
Old 07-09-2014, 04:48 AM
aeajr

Glad to hear they stood behind their products.

Interesting that they did not offer to send a new one and take the old one back. That is what I would have expected if they don't carry spares.

Sorry that my recommendation did not work out.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 AM
laknox

Glad to hear they stood behind their products.

Interesting that they did not offer to send a new one and take the old one back. That is what I would have expected if they don't carry spares.

Sorry that my recommendation did not work out.
I just don't think they have any in stock, as it's "out of stock" on their web site. Don't worry about anything. The general info you've given me is still good for any foam flier I get. :-) I'll be talking to a local shop tomorrow who had a Calypso in stock, or can order one.

Lyle
Old 07-09-2014, 10:20 AM
TimJ

They have plenty in stock, and replacement parts for customer service. I know, I've had do a few with members at my local field. None of which complained about surface dents on the foam, which is expected. Two or three of our club members have had motors prematurely fail though. Hobby People gave us the option to either uninstall the motor and send it to them, or send back the fuselage with the motor and electronics for exchange of a new one.

Lyle, I think you would be happy with either airplane, the Phoenix II or the Calypso as far as the performance, as long as you give them the chance. I'm not sure how much experience you have with foam aircraft, but I would not put too much thought into having a foam aircraft be blemish free. That is the nature of foam. Anyhow, I hope you are more successful with the Calypso.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM
laknox

Originally Posted by TimJ
They have plenty in stock, and replacement parts for customer service. I know, I've had do a few with members at my local field. None of which complained about surface dents on the foam, which is expected. Two or three of our club members have had motors prematurely fail though. Hobby People gave us the option to either uninstall the motor and send it to them, or send back the fuselage with the motor and electronics for exchange of a new one.

Lyle, I think you would be happy with either airplane, the Phoenix II or the Calypso as far as the performance, as long as you give them the chance. I'm not sure how much experience you have with foam aircraft, but I would not put too much thought into having a foam aircraft be blemish free. That is the nature of foam. Anyhow, I hope you are more successful with the Calypso.
Tim, HP called =me= directly to resolve the issue, which impresses the hell out of me, and it does make me somewhat sad that I'm sending the plane back to them, but the QC just leaves something to be desired. I wasn't expecting perfection, but a brand new, out of the box plane =shouldn't= have cosmetic damage. I understand it =after= I take it out and start handling it, that's not an issue. I'm just not willing to take a chance on having the same issue with another one, so will be returning it. Wish I hadn't recycled the durn shipping box... :-(

Lyle
Old 07-29-2014, 01:42 PM
aeajr

Any updates?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM
laknox

Any updates?
I have been so slammed that I haven't even got to send the Phoenix back. On my agenda for tonight! 11 hour work days and the past couple weekends getting ready for a camping trip really put a crimp in my time. Will be with FedEx tomorrow, then it's on to another plane. Given the size of this thing, once I got it together, I may scale down my desires to something less than a 2m, though. Still mulling it over...

Thanks for asking,
Lyle
Old 07-29-2014, 03:20 PM
laknox

BTW, I heard a couple days ago that the 500 mph barrier was broken, and not by Lisenby. Any truth to that?

Lyle
Old 08-21-2014, 07:17 PM
laknox

Another update... I =finally= got the Phoenix sent back to Hobby People and had a check in my hands in under a week. I really can't complain about them as a business and I really wish the plane had worked out. I'm still looking to the Calypso and am hoping the local shop will sell at enough of a discount to compete with the online sellers, or close anyway. It's been so windy and stormy here the past few weeks that there haven't been many flying days. I'll certainly trade that for rain in AZ any day, though. We NEED the water.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:38 AM
bhcnomo

check this one out
http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-v-t...-wingspan-pnp/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e8LSUsQuxU
Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 PM
laknox

Nice plane. Too bad they don't seem to make it in an RTF configuration. The Calypso is looking pretty good right now. Just waiting for a check to pull the trigger.

Lyle
Old 10-11-2014, 08:08 AM
laknox

Originally Posted by laknox
Nice plane. Too bad they don't seem to make it in an RTF configuration. The Calypso is looking pretty good right now. Just waiting for a check to pull the trigger.

Lyle
So, I got my refund from Hobby People and had a birthday (thanks Mom), so had some extra funds and snagged a Calypso. Got it together last night and my first impression is that it's a much better-built plane than the Phoenix II. Stiffer fuse, screws to hold the tail in place and to anchor the wings to the spar tube. I'm hoping to take it to a nearby school yard for a couple tries tomorrow, provided the honey-dos don't get in the way. Big note on my transmitter to remember to check the CG =before= flying. :-)

Lyle