Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Where are all the pure glider pilots - seems all the posts are for electric

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Where are all the pure glider pilots - seems all the posts are for electric

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 PM
longsoar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a spinner and two pair of blades for my new glider - (cheapest on the net) - 65 bucks including postage!
Sorry for your loss! I am quite surprised to find super expensive Hyper-Spinner for 24 bucks + $14 for blades on the same Net. Yeah, motor was a killer - Hacker w/4.4:1 gearbox for $275. Regular outrunner would cost me around $50 or less.
Although less expensive setup could easily fit in a $100 range with motor, ESC and battery, depends on a power required and size of your glider.
Good winch could cost a few hundred bucks easy. I'd say price is not a thing that would ever make me go back to high-start.
Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:51 PM
vonveska

Originally Posted by longsoar
Sorry for your loss! I am quite surprised to find super expensive Hyper-Spinner for 24 bucks + $14 for blades on the same Net. Yeah, motor was a killer - Hacker w/4.4:1 gearbox for $275. Regular outrunner would cost me around $50 or less.
Although less expensive setup could easily fit in a $100 range with motor, ESC and battery, depends on a power required and size of your glider.
Good winch could cost a few hundred bucks easy. I'd say price is not a thing that would ever make me go back to high-start.
Just a thought.
Please do not be sorry - it's not a loss, I bought a good stuff. Well, a cheap spinner from eBay or from HK is about 10 bucks, but it's a lottery. I have few and half of them are so badly balanced that they are not usable. And the blades - I started with plastic blades and one (new, never flown) disintegrated and I was lucky that the debris missed my eye ... So I bought an Aeronaut spinner and carbon blades, they are good quality. The spinner is about 25 bucks, but without a centerpiece. A pair of blades 12 bucks. The cost is adding up ...
Old 06-15-2014, 10:16 PM
longsoar

vonvenska, I do not buy cheap stuff either. I am talking carbon aeronaut blades and a Hyper spinner:

They all balanced well and will not fail under load. I personally trying to stay away from HK and other cheap stuff from China.
Thought I'd share.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyper_Spinner_Power_3238_Set50606_900.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2005513  
Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 AM
mocgp

Ed - sorry I'm late to the discussion but I'm sure glad to see your search for "purists". I've been building and flying different RC stuff for over 50 years and can think of nothing more satisfying than launching off a high start and then continuing to fly until I'm ready to land. I'm still pretty much an old timer in regards to building (I don't own any of the more modern composite gliders like you guys) but I doubt that the price of the airplane changes the fundamental enjoyment that we get from the experience. Long live the PIG !! (Sailaire, that is)
Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Been doing a lot of pure gliding lately, just not using a winch or high start
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0285.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2013090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	4.20 MB
ID:	2013091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697_1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2013092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451_1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2013093  
Old 07-10-2014, 08:37 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Aerotow. Very cool! I used to Aerotow but we lost our tow plane and the grass cut we are allowed really is not large enough to support Aerotow. I envy you.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

While not ideal for everyone, we can aerotow giant scale at our field and I'm within less than a 2 hour drive to a LOT of nice fields.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:41 PM
aeajr

Has anyone used the OneWinch to launch their glider?
www.onewinch.com
Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I belong to a club that of course includes all power flyers. I am one of them power guys but I learned on gliders in the early 70's, doing slope soaring on Oahu over Enchanted Lakes. Anyway long story short, I always had a soft spot for gliders, and have had a glider in the squadron since back then, but went to lots of power flying to get my kicks when I could not find slopes and large fields for setting up high starts in the various locations I worked in. Currently though, I have a DLG that is as pure as it gets, not even using a high start or a tow, lol. Because my club only has about 60 members, with only maybe 15 guys that fly regularly, I get to take my DLG to the field and do my launches right off the runway when the other guys are resting or BSing (half the fun of being in a club). My fave day of flying is like one I had a few days ago...fly my Bravata gasser, my X5 heli, and my Apache DLG....fly till exhausted and totally satiated. Jon
Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Flytoolow
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am flying DLG at a few power clubs and converting many of the members at each location to non-powered gliders. I am also putting together a Ultra Stick 1.20 with a Moki 1.8 for a tow plane.

I also fly slope where ever and whenever I can.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:59 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a recreational airfield about an hour's drive from town. It has two completely separate runways: one is "active", and the other is used by everybody else from R/C to parachutists, with some co-ordination. Like, you'd have powered R/C at one end and F3B or F3J gliders at the other - and if the wind is right, some slope flyers on the adjacent small ridge.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:37 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In some areas of the world, you're lucky to have enough clear area for hi-start or winch launching. And finding slopes is an even harder task.

In this part of the world, forests and farmland are the problem. There are lots of clubs that've been able to fit in runways, but none really work for hi-starts, and there never have been crowds of modelers who were interested in sailplanes enough to work out the really difficult site problem.

Good thing is that electric gliders can work out of almost anyplace a model has room to land. And they can exist with power planes with some effort.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:43 AM
aeajr

The other nice thing about electrics is that you can slope sites that might have been difficult to reach before. Or slope from the bottom of the hill more easily than before. But I have done this with pure slope gliders.

But in the end, my true passion is my pure gliders. And when the conditions are right, the winch comes out or the slope glider gets tossed off the cliff and we fly all day with no motor. I just love it.

Last edited by aeajr; 08-01-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:14 AM
guamflyer

theres still a few left...been busy sloping doin a form of pure...still fly my 60" thermal, my bird of time is next to the table...just lost my 40" dlg cause I was pushing the limits with non exeistant lift..LOL...building more slopers though..out here I can kinda still fly anywhere ... well most places.. traded my last 50" electric for a radio that had the levers on the side to run flaps on bigger sailplanes.. found a spot that I can fly a 1/4 scale sailplane..the landing zone has a hairy approach but I gots to try....LOL
Old 10-16-2014, 06:52 AM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

When I flew back in the late 70 thru the late 80's I always used a high start to get my "Gentle Lady and my Aquila" into the air. And I pretty much used the high school football practice field near me. And used a control line field when they were not using it. But, can't use that no more there is r/c club near there, and they have to share with the soccer kids. I won't join that club because of that. Soccer takes control over that around here.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 PM
ARUP

No body aerotows where I live. I have to travel. So far this year: Monticello, IL, Cumberland, MD and WV, Chattanooga, TN and the last outing at Huntsville, AL. One thing for sure is that it is the most fun flying I've ever had! I've done lots of flying, too.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Geek1945

I'd love to fly a true scale glider, I have nothing against stick & boom gliders and competition. The problem is when your on the downhill side of the bell curve your mind can write checks that your body can't cash. Since I'm really out in country a glider tow is out of the question so a compromise is a motor glider to ROG. The motor assist isn't my 1st choice it's my only choice since I'm disabled so if things were different I'd be soaring scans any assist and enjoy silent flying.

At least in my case building is really enjoyable so building and flying a true sailplane makes me envious yet, happy there are some who can do so.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:54 AM
THOMKP J
My Feedback: (15)

Does anybody know where i can get a NIB HOUSE OF BALSA TWO TEE GLIDER KIT?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 AM

Count me as a purist.
Sagitta 900, Oly, Ken Bates Windlord all scratch built.

I fly power too, but Sailplanes (real non-powered ones) will always be my favorite way to spend a flying day.
Powered gliders bored me quickly and lacked the thermal performance with a boat anchor mounted.

Hi Starts forever. Someday I'll buy a wench, make that a winch for the sake of peace in my home.

I suppose it is only natural,
I enjoy building and scratch building even more.

I tend to scale power planes and sailplanes.
Someday I want to buy one of Skip's planes though.

Last edited by 142088; 10-23-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:02 AM
aeajr

If you are a hi-start guy, check out the OneWinch. You might find it interesting.

OneWinch - www.onewinch.com

If you don't need the super power of a ford long shaft winch or you want
to avoid all the walking of pulling your hi-start out to 800 feet, take a
look at the Onewinch. I have one. Works like a winch in the space of a winch
but about the power of a hi-start. No battery, very light and easy to use. And a
LOT less walking than a hi-start.

Posted several posts/reports starting on bottom of the page. – starting
at post 129 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1473778&page=9

Videos on this page - around post 158.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...473778&page=11
Old 10-23-2014, 02:43 PM
jetmaven

142088, you speak the truth . I fly pure soar every week standing next to people ,at 1/3 throttle , who swear they're in my lift . Not so. Love the boat anchor analogy !
Old 10-23-2014, 04:45 PM

Thanks Guys,
I just call 'em as I see 'em. I'd never force my view on another.

aeajr, I'll look into the one winch quite seriously.
jetmaven, It is amazing to some that an unpowered plane can go up powered by nothing but the air.
Hawks and Turkey Vultures demonstrate the idea all the time better than I can fly.
The solitary nature of soaring appeals to me.

The one-on-one against the sky aspect too I enjoy.
A couple of pilots standing in a field looking up hassles no one,
few even know whazzup unless landing or launching.

A negative is that as a Sailplane jockey I learned to take a landing anywhere I can get it.
Walking beats epoxying as John Beech said.
The less favorable nature is a 'what runway' thinking mode.

Ed wrote a really nice piece about a good day flying.
I don't have it but it touched the artist in my spirit so I remember it.

I am quite grateful for whatever drove me to ask for a 18 dollar Drifter 2 kit (birthday present) and then buy an "up-start".
Few things can match the simple pleasure of a RE or RES wooden sailplane route stepping up into the sky and floating off the hook.
Relaxed and fun. Nobody to impress, the sky doesn't notice.

On days I have no fuel I can still fly if I can pony up 4 bucks a gallon for gas.
Even on the bad days when I break a plane well a day flying can't be that bad even if the airplane is bagged.
Kind of like paying dues, it is gonna happen.
With or without dumb thumbs pilot error, every airplane comes with an expiration date or almost all.
Gives a chance to incorporate those new ideas floating around in my head.

R/C is the most rewarding activity I have found. More than a hobby.
I had to find something to do with my hands after I was disabled.
Now I wish I had kept flying since 81 without the break from 92 to 2008.

Flying welcomed me back with open arms.
And so did everyone I met in R/C, then and now.
So did you folks,
142088 sends thanks and hopes for great flying soon for all no matter how you do it.
Sincerely....

Last edited by 142088; 10-23-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:26 PM
James Brand

i fly both powerd and glider, when i fly gliders they are pure (unless im testing a slope then the solius comes out). i will post a picture of theome of the slopes i use and luckily? dont seem to share.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:58 PM
ARUP

Lookee! Pics by Andy 'dee grose'.

1932 BS2 Balestruccio, 1926 RRG Prufling and 1921 Vampyr.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by ARUP
Lookee! Pics by Andy 'dee grose'.

1932 BS2 Balestruccio, 1926 RRG Prufling and 1921 Vampyr.
nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.