Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Equipment issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Ripcut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Equipment issue

Hi all

I have a radio issue that I need some assistance on.

First my equipment: TH9X transmitter, FSr9b receiver, Sonic 185 powered glider.

Radio equipment and aircraft is about two months old. It has flown twice by a experienced club member to set up the trim and test everything out. All was fine. Since then I've tried to fly by myself four times crashing each time, the first time was quite severe. Since then we have discovered that my transmitter range is only about 5 feet. No one in the club as compatible equipment for me to test with.

My dilemma is I don't know how to check the transmitter or receiver to find the fault. Can my receiver be damaged from the crashing or or did the transmitter just quit.

Money is a bit of an issue so I don't want to be buying all new to find out what's wrong.

Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

Ripcut
Old 10-22-2014, 03:45 PM
jetmaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a friend with experience and learn .
Old 10-23-2014, 06:37 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Riput
Hi all

I have a radio issue that I need some assistance on.

First my equipment: TH9X transmitter, FSr9b receiver, Sonic 185 powered glider.

Radio equipment and aircraft is about two months old. It has flown twice by a experienced club member to set up the trim and test everything out. All was fine. Since then I've tried to fly by myself four times crashing each time, the first time was quite severe. Since then we have discovered that my transmitter range is only about 5 feet. No one in the club as compatible equipment for me to test with.

My dilemma is I don't know how to check the transmitter or receiver to find the fault. Can my receiver be damaged from the crashing or or did the transmitter just quit.

Money is a bit of an issue so I don't want to be buying all new to find out what's wrong.

Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

Ripcut
I don't have your radio but that should not matter. I am going to down a series of steps I would follow if I was in your situation. Fortunately that radio is pretty inexpensive and the receivers are cheap. You may have done all of this but work with me on this and we will get it figured out. I would suggest you remove the prop if that is not too hard.

* When did the problem start? Clearly you had an experienced pilot fly and trim the plane so it was working then. When EXACTLY did the problem start? Think about what changed.

Do you do a range check before the first flight of the day?

The Importance of Range Checks
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/vbgl...howentry&id=34

* With the radio on and the receiver/plane on - Standing about 4 feet from the plane.
Do you get normal behavior on the surfaces - slow easy movements DON'T SLAM THE STICKS HARD END TO END. Move the right stick and the left stick (if you have a separate rudder) to the extreme left then extreme right. Then the right stick to extreme up and down 2 seconds from center to end, then 2 seconds back then to seconds the other way then 2 seconds back.

Does the motor behave normally? with the motor running at 1/4 throttle move the sticks. Everything OK?

* Do a range check using the range check mode on the radio.
Plane should be held by someone or it should be on a non-metal surface at least 2 feet off the ground.

Do you pass range check?
Do you pass range check from all around the plane?
Do you pass range check with the motor off and with the motor on?

After completing the range check, if you pass, do it again but wiggle the antenna on the radio as you do it. Still pass?
Do it again but try to wiggle the RF module. Still pass?

If you pass range check as outlined above then it is not the radio.

If you don't pass range check, do you have another receiver? If you do, set it up by itself with a couple of servos and power and do it again. Do NOT install it in the plane for this test. If it passes with the spare receiver but the plane failed then the problem is in the plane. If it fails then the problem is in the radio.

Assuming above tests pass

* In normal mode - radio on/plane on - motor off - Remove the prop if that is convenient. We will do tests with the motor on and we don't want that blade hitting anything.

Have someone work the sticks slowly and smoothly so you can see servo movement. DON'T SLAM THE STICKS HARD END TO END. Move the right stick and the left stick (if you have a separate rudder) to the extreme left

Wiggle wires - anything in the plane that hat can move needs to be wiggled.
Shake the plane
Now wiggle the battery, the ESC, the receiver wires
Individual servo wires at both the receiver and, if possible, at the servo end
wiggle the antenna wires in the plane.

Do you get any glitches? Any odd behavior? If so, when?

Report back and we can move on from there.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Ripcut

Thanks guy
Prob started after first dirt dive but did not realize it was range prob till after two more hole makers.
Range check amounts to 4 to 5 feet. All works up to that, after that nothing works. Have ordered new rx, hope that's the prob and not tx.
Will get back to you after I get new stuff installed. thanks agn

Rip
Old 10-29-2014, 04:54 AM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

Perhaps the range check function was accidentally switched on after the orginal check-out and left on.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 AM
Ripcut

Thanks Anteras
I run a TH9x and I don't think it has a range check funtion. I'm hoping that first big hole digger damaged the rx or esc. New parts should be here soon.
Rip
Old 11-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Ripcut

Anteras
It appears that the receiver is good and transmitter module is defective. I've been looking around on the Internet to find out stock replacement but I'm having trouble finding anything. If you know of anywhere give me a shout.

Again I'm running a FH 9X transmitter by flysky and a FS R9B receiver. Would I be better off upgrading to something like a FRSKY DJR transmitter module and a FRSKY D8R receiver. I guess my first question is would I be able to use my R9B receiver with that transmitter module. I think that would be cheaper than buying a whole new transmitter package.

Give me a shout when you have time.

Rip

Sorry TH 9x transmitter.

Last edited by Ripcut; 11-06-2014 at 12:21 PM.