Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Help with DLG Mini Glider.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:01 PM
fastback62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help with DLG Mini Glider.

Hi,
I just recently picked up a mini disk glider. It came as a ARF kit. So I picked up a Ni-MH 300 4.8 v battery, and a Spectrum AR6255 receiver, to get myself on the road to flying. Everything was going OK in the setup. I had the elevator and aileron servos dialed in perfectly to my Spectrum DX6i radio. Almost ready to fly...

Where I think I screwed up is in the charging process. I charged the battery using a HiTec CG-340 peak charger. I attached the leads to my car battery and proceeded to charge until the green charging light went off (about 30 min). After charging i attached the battery to the receiver, and the top yellow light on the receiver went out, and no action in the servos. This is where i think I burned out my receiver, hopefully not my servos.

So my question is; where did I go wrong in the charging process? Should I of used a different charger? I thouht I was ok using a 4.8v battery for the mini servos. And a 4.8 v would suffies without a UBEC in the setup, mainly for the weight savings.
If anyone could solve my problem, that would be very helpful.
Thank you.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't see any problem with your charging approach. In fact I have that charger and use it for receiver packs often.

What rate did you charge at? Should have been around 50 to 100 mah.

Receiver packs typically get charged at lower rates than motor batteries. Optimum would be to charge at 1/10C or 30 mah on a 300 mah receiver pack. And normally you would do that for up to 16 hours for the first charge. This is called a forming charge. This is most easily done with a wall wart type charger. Peak chargers don't do this well.

What rate did you use to charge the pack? Most modern NiMh packs can take a bit higher charge rate so you could charge at 50 to 100 mah. Might even push it to 150 mah but I would not go higher than that. The pack might be able to take a 1C charge of 300 mah but it might be too high.

Do you have a volt meter to check the voltage on the battery pack?

Did you remember to bind you receiver to your radio? Sounds like you did bind it.

Did you remember to remove the binding plug? I presume you did.

Any chance you put the battery plug into the receiver the wrong way? Look to see where the dark wire is on the battery plug and on the servos. They should be aligned. I have done this many times. Should not cause any damage. Just put it in the right way.

Last edited by aeajr; 12-15-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:47 PM
fastback62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I think I went too high of a rate for the first charge. But maybe its not too late. I only charged for 30 minutes at a rate of .7a.
I'll look into a wall wart charger and do the forming charge @ a low rate. I'm looking into getting a volt meter this evening.
Yes, I did the binding and removed the plug. I did all the programming wi mixes of the ailerons elevators, flap set ups... I'm pretty sure the battery plug was in the right way, but I'll pay more attention where the dark wire is next time. Thanks for your help. Ill get this straight sooner or later...
Old 12-15-2014, 08:26 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

.7a charge rate on a .3ah pack is WAY too high.

Hopefully there was no damage. 30 minutes would be about right but that is way too high of a charge rate.