RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Super Dimona 2.4m

Old 01-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Morg82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Super Dimona 2.4m

G'day,

I recently decided to have a go at some foam as up until now I have been a balsa purist. I gave the credit card that the wife doesn't know about a bit of a hiding and ordered three models.

The 2.4m Super Dimona turned up yesterday and I was wondering if anyone else has flown one? It's the tates model that hobbyking distribute. A
After all the reviews I have seen on other foamies and some of the mods people have done to make them fly right I thought I'd put it out there before I assemble and fly in the hope that I get more than one flight out of it.

Anyway, I hope I don't prove myself right and have to revert to balsa after this .

Thanks in advance,

Morgan

(ps is it bad form to post on multiple forums to get as much info as possible?)
Old 01-04-2015, 01:02 AM
Morg82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Really? No one?
Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 AM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
No, not bad taste to post on multiple forums! Why the Hell not as no rule, law or moral.

I have this similar ship but the one Hobby Lobby use to sell. Glass fuse and covered built up wings. Still have not gotten her airborne yet.

The only major mod was to make her a tail dragger buy eliminating the nose gear and moving the main gear forward along with adding a tail wheel.

Jared
Old 01-04-2015, 05:37 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have flown Super Dimona, but it was not foam, it was fiberglass. So I can't help you.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Morg82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just an update if anyone's interested.
I'm not a tech head and pretty much assembled the dimona stock as a rock. I did add some tape to the wing tube to take a little bit of slop out and beefed the main gear attachment up a bit but that's it.

Soars really well for a foamy and will thermal if you pick a good one. i wasn't overly impressed with straight and level performance at full throttle but it cruises around beautifully at half noise.

The glide is really quite good with the power pulled off too. I know with my track record that it is only a matter of time until I do something stupid and turn it to confetti but in the mean time it's more fun than I expected.

Cheers
Old 01-22-2015, 08:24 PM
jcstalls
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice and sounds like you are enjoying her, which is the main thang to me.

These scale semi scale powered gliders often have a much higher wing loading than our abi normal Egliders and thus do not just float around.
Add to this those ultra narrow wings tips, a little to slow and in a bank to low........sorry.

Best to keep her on step.

Jared
Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Morg82

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Nice and sounds like you are enjoying her, which is the main thang to me.

These scale semi scale powered gliders often have a much higher wing loading than our abi normal Egliders and thus do not just float around.
Add to this those ultra narrow wings tips, a little to slow and in a bank to low........sorry.

Best to keep her on step.

Jared
Absolutely agree.
For the money I am impressed. If I'd invested $1000+ probably not so impressed. But for a cheap afternoon flyer I reckon they are pretty good.