Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Sig Riser 100 electric Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Sig Riser 100 electric Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:23 AM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I click on either photo its a black screen for some reason but the Spectra looks good though. Man I don't like the new RCU forum! Anyways, I've been busy at work lately but will finish the small details and balance the Riser on Saturday.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:59 AM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the wings built and have fitted the center sections together and by golly, they fit very close....nearly perfect. Now for a bit of a negative: regarding the optional spoiler installation, it would be easier to notch the ribs prior to installing and gluing. I tried it their way for one wing center and found it to be a bit too clumsy and inaccurate. I also made holes in the respective ribs for the servo wires before building. The rudder was built minus the counter balance as others have done. I replaced the pushrods that came with the kit with Sullivan. I'm going to use HS-55 servos for the spoilers and will use the setup that I built for the DJ Aerotech Chrysallis 2M. Uses a direct connection to the spoiler with a small push rod.
Motor is a Mega 22-30-3 and 13X6.5 Aero folder. With this motor I can use a 2S pack and have plenty of power for the Riser.
One other thing I'm going to do is add more shear webs to the wing including the outer wing panels. I spent an hour last night cutting more shear webs.
My plan is to use Ultra Cote white and transparent red.
Sorry I can't post any pics.....camera dead.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

I really don't like the new way they did the site also.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Pork Chop
My Feedback: (5)

Jollyroger, I like all your ideas and comments, yeah the spoiler work would be much easier to prefab on the ribs before building. I didn't and while notching the ribs was accurate drilling holes for the servo wire was near impossible to do and mine were more or less "punched" through. I too past on the counter balance as the Hitec servos I'm using will have plenty of power. I used sullivan rods too which are a no brainer, On covering I went Monokote but it seems many guys are using Ultracote or HK version of it and say it makes them look like their experts at it but I've never used it.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:02 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Ultracote/Oracote (Ultracote in the USA Oracote in Europe it all made in Germany) has one advantage you tack without shrinking at 200 F and then turn the iron up slightly to start shrinking the film. Also Ultracote/Oracote has a larger temperature range the film will shrink than Monokote. I have used both and like both. I find Monokote has a slightly smoother looking surface on some glossy colors than Ultracote/Oracote.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

OH, I will be very happy to get the GP Spectra done that I am building for a friend. For payment of doing this, he is going to give me an Airtronics Olympic II kit.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:04 PM
jollyroger

Okay, so what have I got wrong here.......I'm trying to set up the spoilers using Hitec HS-55 servos but cannot get the spoilers to go either full up to 90* or down all the way. If I adjust the servo arm to set the spoiler down all the way I cannot get the spoiler back up to 90* even with all trims and end points set. I'm using a Hitec eclipse 7 radio. The servo arm is the longest one for it.
Either I have the geometry not quite right or my radio wont adjust that far. I'm using ch.5 ( usually for gear) but maybe I should look into using the flap switch.
Now looking through the manual I see that I need to set up the radio for glider function so I'm going to check into that as well.
Maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Maybe its not the radio but the amount of travel the servo has? According to servo City:

Rotating a Servo 180°

When controlled with a radio control system, most hobby servos offer 90° (45° either direction) rotation right out of the box. This can sometimes be increased if your radio system offers end point adjustments or your servo controller has a 180° jumper pin. If you are using Hitec digital servos, you simply want to purchase the hand-held programmer to increase the rotation. If you have a Hitec or Futaba analog servo that only offers 90° of rotation, the amount of rotation can sometimes be increased to 180° by performing a simple modification.Note: You can purchase Hitec servos from us that are pre-modified in our own manufacturing facility on the individual Hitec servo pages. This modification voids all ServoCity and Hitec warranties.Click image for larger version

Name:	180_Servo_Angle_Schematic.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	2234861
Old 10-11-2017, 12:00 PM
jollyroger

What I discovered was the subtrim was set way down to-100 for some reason( it was on ch 3 /throttle) . After resetting the subtrim back to 0 I had enough servo travel for the spoilers to work . From what I have learned from other Riser 100 fliers, you do not need 90* of spoiler.
I'm getting approximately 70-75* of activation which should be more than enough.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:59 PM
MikeBeeman

This is turning out real nicely pork chop! I like that spolier setup. What are you using for a cowl?