RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Anu up to date books or reccomended book on soaring

Old 08-14-2015, 06:38 AM
JMCHASE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Anu up to date books or reccomended book on soaring

Any suggestions on available reading material for soaring techniques and newer planes. Ive seen a few outdated on Amazon. Im not looking for books on transmitters and older aircraft which seem to dominate the books written twenty or more years ago. Just want to brush up on flying techniques. Seems there should be something since there has been a lot of changes in types of aircraft and new designs. Im aware of Thornburgs book but its out of print although i have heard it will be available in digital soon.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:35 PM
SBS_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The book I have appreciated most is this one: http://gb.trapletshop.com/radio-control-thermal-gliding
I don't remember it to feel dated except for some details and some chapter discussing varios, but apart from that I learned a lot from it. It is more technical and goes inte more details than Thornburg's 'Old Buzzard...', but OTOH is 'Old Buzzard...' a lot funnier to read.

As an alternative there are also training videos available from http://www.radiocarbonart.com/ , but I guess you are already familiar with them(?).
Old 08-18-2015, 05:21 PM
JMCHASE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, i ordered the book you suggested.

Last edited by JMCHASE; 08-21-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:49 AM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dave Thornburg's "Old Buzzard's Soaring Book". Written by a model flier for model fliers. I've not read it myself but many swear that this is the bible for model soaring.

http://www.amazon.com/Buzzards-Soari.../dp/B000KYITG8
Old 08-28-2015, 02:09 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Other than 2.4 radios and varios, what's changed?

Thermaling techniques certainty haven't changed since I started flying gliders in 1978
Old 08-28-2015, 04:36 PM
JMCHASE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whats changed? The planes certainly have, carbon has changed the dynamics. Of course thermals haven't but i think we have better understanding of them today. And of course not as much time building if thats the direction you choose.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:57 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

True, I suppose someone should write a supplement detailing how to plug the wings into an ARF

I suppose aerotowing has evolved a bit, used to be every time we tried it we wrecked at least one of the planes, now its a fairly common practice
Old 08-30-2015, 04:25 PM
FlyWheel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Unhappy

Originally Posted by JMCHASE View Post
Whats changed? The planes certainly have, carbon has changed the dynamics. Of course thermals haven't but i think we have better understanding of them today. And of course not as much time building if that's the direction you choose.
What's changed? Well lets see...
  • Todays planes tell you where the thermals are.
  • They automatically pull themselves out of a potential crash, or even prevent you from making the mistake that would have caused it.
  • They tell you exactly where, how high and how fast they are flying in real time, and even record every spot in the sky they have been in 3D along with all other info about the flight so you can save it in your computer or cell phone to show and send to all your friends.
  • They can even automatically find and fly their way back to the field where they were launched.

Todays 'pilots' need to learn/develop very few if any skills anymore, as the planes pretty much fly themselves, and in my opinion even the transmitter's days are numbered as soon all 'model' planes will soon be pre-programmed before launch, becoming in a very real sense little more than high tech autonomous toys.

Last edited by FlyWheel; 08-30-2015 at 04:28 PM.