RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Looking for a 2 pr 3 m high start glider

Old 09-21-2015, 05:24 AM
JMCHASE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Looking for a 2 pr 3 m high start glider

Want to learn some new things. I have several electrics. But now i need to expand my thermal knowledge. Looking for suggestions. I want to keep it light looking forcduration
probably need flaps and or spoilers to safely land. Was looking at Pulsar 2s?
Old 09-23-2015, 12:35 PM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a bit of an upper end model. You sure don't NEED anything that fancy to just noodle around and catch thermals.

What are the winds like in your area? Do you have a calm to moderate "window" of an hour or two on most days where you could fly with something less "slippery"?

I applaud your desire to go pure gliding with a hi start. But consider that you need a lot of room to set it up and use. And it sure doesn't mix well with power flying where the models can all too easily pick up the line and get tangled if it happens to fall across the strip or someone happens to land off in the weeds where the line and rubber are laying. If you will be fling with the rest of the guys a nose mounted motor instead of a hi start would be advisable.

If you'll be on your own do folks walk their dogs on the field? I've seen dogs and folks get caught up and tangled in the line. And I've even had to chase off a dog that was chowing down on the rubber. All quite amusing these many years later but a bit of added stress at the time

If you're after a new challenge you'll certainly get it. I liken thermal flying to fishing. You never know what is up(down) there until you cast your "line" out. Then it's time to look around and try to see a "bite". Then the game is on to center (land) the thermal(fish).... The best part is that no two days are ever the same. And the thermals tend to be like snowflakes with some big and fluffy and others dust like and fickle. Constantly challenging and still able to hold my interest all these years later.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:13 PM
JMCHASE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our club has man flying sites not visited by the public the largest being the Albuquerque ballonn Fiesta park. We have special gate passes to use it off season which is pretty much every day except during special events. Everyone has a mixture of electric and non sailplane and gliders but fly on seperate days at seperate fields or during an announced event. There is never any issue with high start and someone tripping since we have spotters.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:49 PM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That sounds positively idyllic!

If you end up with that Pulsar I don't think you'll find a better glider for use with a high start. It's the right size and weight to really sing off just about any hi start easily. Bigger is generally better but bigger models can sometimes be pretty lazy on a less than new condition hi start. The older they get the doggier the rubber becomes it seems. At least the one I've got went that way. It used to be OK for my slightly over weight Bird of Time but now it would just be OK for a liighter two meter.

All the best of luck with it or whichever other model you pick up.