Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Seeking help for different landing gear door fabrications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Seeking help for different landing gear door fabrications

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:02 AM
sierratango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking help for different landing gear door fabrications

I have been working on a multi year project and I am now at the point of figuring out how to make my landing gear doors on my one of a kind project.

I am a full size power plane builder, pilot and glider pilot, but my RC experience has been mainly with scale gliders.

This ambitious project is my own design hollow molded glider which has an internal EDF system with a retractable air inlet and exhaust port on the fuselage.

I will be using Robart electric retracts. I am trying to make the landing gear doors flush fit just like I have done with the exhaust and air intake parts.

My question is, the gear doors will be split into two parts, not bifurcated down the midline, but upper door mounted to gear strut and then a seperate door which will cover where the wheel comes out of the wing and fuselage.

I was was thinking of using a torsional spring and a 90 degree angle on the inside of the door. The lower door which hinges off the fuselage or wing will cover the wheel when the gear is retracted. So the torsional spring keeps the door open when the gear is extended, but when the gear comes up, the tire touches the 90 internal angle on the door inside, thus pulling the door closed.

I am trying to avoid using additional servos as my space is limited as is my weight.

I am am also wondering how to rig the steerable nose gear. Is it a pull-pull system which is only tight when the gear is extended?

Can any members post pictures of how their systems work on their planes. Again, I don't want to see any of the landing gear when the gear is retracted.

Thank you. Happy holidays!

John G.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2137244   Click image for larger version

Views:	52
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2137245   Click image for larger version