Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

New Radian

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 AM
mrsand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Radian

Motor Sailors

I recently bought my first sailplane...a Radian RTF.... I have rc experience...but would appreciate any tips about flying this plane or setup..I realize its suppose to be ready...but I thought I would check with owners anyway...thank you in advance
MrSand
Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: New Radian

Check this one. you can find more if you do a search for the Radian.
Last listed is a video of the Radian. Hope this helps. You can view some more of the reports over at
RC Groups in the electric sailplanes also.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8465425

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84...tm.htm#8428031

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80...tm.htm#8000175

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82...tm.htm#8246391
Old 03-26-2009, 11:14 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

there are several discussions on the Radian already. Best to join one of those.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Sailplane

ORIGINAL: mrsand

Motor Sailors

I recently bought my first sailplane...a Radian RTF....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mrsand,

Just a few things to note on a Radian's first flight...On launch, use only a little over !/2 throttle and make certain the CG is correct before launch. In my opinion, an Eflite 1250mAh 20C LiPo (wt ~4.3oz) is better than the stock Flight Zone 1300mAh Lipo (wt~3.6oz). The small extra wt of the Eflite does not alter the flight performance of the Radian; and in fact, the Eflite gives me a slighly longer flight time. An Enerland/PolyQuest 1500mAh 20C LiPo weighs ~4.4oz (only ~.1oz more than the Eflite pack) and does a great job also. In winds > 10 mph, you might want to place a metal rod of ~3.0 oz inside your wing tube for better stability and penetration. You'll love this bird...!

PS Best that you follow aeajr's advise and post future questions and/or discussions on threads that already exist on the forum.

Ernie
Sailplane
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM
mrsand

Thanks for the advice, I will tie into the existing threads

MrSand
Old 03-28-2009, 04:31 PM
CBM Racing

I just maidened mine today, only word is awesome! I had my doubts after getting mine and seeing some quality issues. But, proof is in the flying, and it flies awesome! I launched mine at half throttle, went to full power and climbed for about 30 seconds, shut off the motor and flew for almost a full hour nonstop with no more motor assist!!! . I had a hanger 9 aspire years ago but never caught good lift with it or I couldn't stay in it. No longer an issue. I climbed to around 500ft, did one big circle, tail suddenly popped up and veered right. I turned left and gave some up to slow down and level off, and suddenly I'm climbing, and climbing FAST! WEEE!!! I have been flying airplanes for many years, but this was my first real thermal experience, and I have never had a rush like it. I made tight circles while drifting with wind, and it kept going up and up and up [X(]. Within 3 minutes, it's 1/2mile to the south, and I dared not blink as it looked like a fly sized spec higher than I've ever been. Gave full down for a few seconds, then dived/glided my way back to feild. Then made 3 more circles, and the tail popped up and wings waggled...specked out again, then again!!! I never had so much fun in the air before! But, be warned, you will end up with a neck ache when your done . Just remember to put some colored tape under wings, and bring good sunglasses!
Old 03-28-2009, 04:43 PM
aeajr

OK guys, CBM racing is hooked.

Next victum.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:28 PM
snuts

Way cool!Sounds like the radian is definantly the glider set up to recomend as a honest , first 2m RTF glider. especially to experianced pilots.
I here more and more great experiances with this set up. I'm thinking of getting one for my grandson when he turns 8, to fly with us at some of the remote flying sites that we camp at. I'm afraid he will whip me bee-hind, and say balsa, is for OLD GUY'S

I love hearing these success stories, good luck (tommorow I bet) Snuts
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM
CBM Racing

Another tip, don't try to fly it around on power like and airplane. It really has some strange handling under power and doesn't respond quickly like an airplane to inputs. Had it up again yesterday, woohoo! Took a little bit to find some lift, but not more than a few power ups and circles. This thing shows when you are in lift very well, the tail kicks right up or if you are going really slowly the wings waggle back and forth for a few seconds, or if you just brush against an area of lift, the wing that hits it first will lift trying to push you out of it. To find some lift, right away get some good altitude (more than normal plane cruising height)going into breeze and cut motor. Turn so you're going 90degrees from you're position, and just do a big zigzag pattern. You pretty much can't tell whats going on with motor running, so just let it glide untill you have to power up or land. With this motorglider, you quickly learn to read what is going on, soon you'll be soaring with the eagles! Just don't try to get the hang of piloting it close to ground with motor on, grab some altitude, cut the motor, and learn the plane's handling up high where there is nothing to hit!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I ordered one. With all the good vibes coming on this plane, I decided it will be nice have a motor glider that isn't a pain in the butt trying to get it together.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:08 PM
TRAXXAS829

ORIGINAL: aeajr

OK guys, CBM racing is hooked.

Next victum.
AEAJR,
Looks like we got another one. CBM, your hooked.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Tom Nied

WOW! OK so ten minutes out of the well constructed foam shipping box, I have it assembled just short of the checks that need to be done, and I'm pretty impressed. It is so complete. What a heck of a package. Well thought out 2 meter sailplane, brushless motor, Li-Po battery, Specktrum 5DXe radio, rx installed, charger, ready to fly, ready to fly, ready to fly. This plane is complete. Anyone have an idea how long it takes to charge the battery with the enclosed charger? This really looks like a winner. Is it a good idea to pickup another battery and prop? I hate to sound like a commercial, but if the Radian flies half as good as it looks coming out of the box, it's really a winner.

OK, I like the "Easy Button".
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 PM
aeajr

Typical full charge from a fully depleted battery is around an hour typically. Depends on the charge rate of the charger. But 1C is the typical rate. 1C = 1 Hr.

A second battery pack is not a bad idea, especially if you plan to fly it like an airplane rather than a glider. But if you are flying it as a glider, even if you find no lift.

30 second climb - 5 minute glide - Repeat 8 times. = 44 minutes. Then charge for an hour.

If you catch some lift. 30 second climb 10 minute glide Repeat 8 times. 88 minutes.

If you get good 30 second climb - 30 minute flight - Repeat 8 times. 4 hours 4 minutes.

A second pack is good. I would not get a third.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Tom Nied

It's mind boggling. Good thing it has a Specktrum radio in it. I'm really looking forward to flying the Radian. I've flown the Aerobird 3 trying to find lift and have gotten 24 minutes on that plane, but it looks like the Radian is a more capable flier Thanks aeajr.

Oh, and I haven't given up on the Spectrum, almost have it all together with gear reduction with larger prop, reverse can motor and new ESC. Heavier with old technology, but should fly.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Tom Nied

[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] WOW! Maidened my new Radian this afternoon at the local park. Winds were a surprising 5 mph, not too many kids at the park, launch was exactly as I planned. Although I think I need to move the battery forward, I just kept flying it. and flying it, and flying it, and flying it.... shoot I should bring a chair next time. I'm guessing conservatively I got between 30-40 minutes. Getting it to altitude and finding lift was exhilarating. What a sweet airplane and relaxing flying. Landing I just it brought out in front of me, turned into the wind and it just slowly came in. I could have caught it. The Radian is going to make for some relaxing flying. Great job parkzone. I put my name and phone number on it.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 AM
matrix-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Just maidened my Radian this morning....it's everything they say it is..FUN!

My first two climbs I couldn't find any lift, but on the third I saw the right wing get pushed away...I quickly turned into the themal and shut down the power...wow she just kept climbing...as it got a bit too high (for me anyway) I eased in some down elevator and brought her in...on the way down I kept hitting thermal after thermal....more down elevator or I'd have been out there for hours....

But the Radian wasn't happy about coming down..I think I heard her say "I've been couped up in that box for weeks and after a half-hour flight you want to land? FORGET IT!"

I agree with other posts describing the Radian under power...it's great for getting you up to altitude, but then shut it down asap...it's much happier soaring then powering around. On one charge I'm sure I could have flown for over an hour....

Old 04-17-2009, 10:46 AM
CBM Racing

Had mine out tuesday and wednesday up north here, man, everytime out it amazes me how well it thermals! Got into a huge one yesterday, it was so sweet. After flying from altitude was cruising low going to land after no lift found and made another pass over a ball diamond at about 75ft up. Going nice and slow and suddenly the tail popped up HARD. I thought my radio was in a glitch it was so sudden and strong. Banked right to turn away and it was going up, yay! Climbed a few dozen feet and then it was like someone literally picked it up by the wingtips with a strong push. The wings flexed up and it shot up so fast and hard it was frightening, I kept pulling the throttle stick down just to make sure it was off! No wind yesterday, but when it got to normal cruising altitude I could feel a really warm wind at my back, and it was really blowing me hard after a few seconds. By now my radian is specked out and I'm getting worried about losing it for good, AHHH! After a straight down dive that took forever to get down I called it a day. I think that was what guys mean when they refer to a brick lifter! The name and address and phone # is a very good idea, just in case, heh heh. I love the way it shows lift and working my up from a low altitude and just staying aloft from thermal to thermal, but that was frightening!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:28 AM
matrix-RCU

Hey CBM,

I'm heading out today after work for round 2. But I can definitely see how this thing would catch a big thermal and just keep going....It gets up there real fast..maybe needs a bigger elevator

But this thermaling stuff is addicting Just awesome how you can stay aloft with no power!

p.s. I saw the thread I started a few weeks ago was exactly the same one you started a month earlier....word for word....you know what they say "great minds....."

Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Tom Nied

OH I just got to chime in. Yesterday I got a 58 minute flight and thought for sure I was going to do my first hour. I now take a folding seat and radio out with me, because even in marginal conditions, it's going to be awhile before I get down. I've experienced some mild thermals and today very little, only got a 40 minute flight in. I can just tell with the right conditions I'm going to get over an hour. Think maybe I should pack a pair of binoculars with me, just in case. People at the park are amazed how graceful it looks and its performance. I'm also amazed. I'm really grooving to this plane and cant wait to fly it again.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:21 PM
snuts

This is such a great plane, now all my power buddies can experiance thermaling. They even try to disquise their intensions, as gifts for their kids, or grandkids!" Oh that looks like a good way to get my kid involved", you make it look so easy. Just pass them the sticks, and go get yourself another cup out of the thermous. SOLD.
They make the thermal experiance so easy Snuts
Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Tinkrerpilot

Ok guys! With all the good things you are showing with the Radian. Is there anything negative that you have noticed in the works?
I have mine coming as soon as the other half gets home from Arizonia. Like the idea that you are getting the great flight times from the plane. The chair and binoculars would not be a bad idea. Passing the radio off to some of the other power nuts is a good transition to tempt most of the them. And yes it is a good ploy to get them invilved into something different. ALways works .

If you want to dress up the bottom of your wing for better visibility. There is a gentlemen on ebay that sales skins to (vinyl decals) for thee Radian. Believe they are $20.
Keep up the good work and the great reports on the flying.

tink
Old 04-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Tom Nied

I'm not crazy about the supplied charger that comes with the RTF. It appears to work, I'm getting some pretty good boosts to altitude (also some good flight times), but supposedly it is suppose to show a solid green led that indicates a full charge. My battery will show 12.5 volts on a voltmeter when charged. My charger will never show just a solid green led. Very minor was a fuselage joint that wasn't completely glued. Seems like everybody is getting this. Its about a foot in front of the horizontal stabilzer on the right side. I just filled mine with RC56 Canopy glue. Seems to be fine. I used some Red transparent MonoKote trim sheet to add some bold stripes on the bottom of the wing, really lights up with the light that goes through the foam. Also mine has needed some weight in the nose, not too big of a deal. I'm hedging on how much I put into it, I kind of like it a bit unstable. It shows the thermals better that way. But I think I need to add more. It's bad to be flopping around, you can lose too much altitude. Launches are uneventful and predictable, so I can't complain about that. Do take a chair with you, it's a lot more comfortable over that kind of time period. Hopefully Horizon will get more batteries in and I will have a spare. And I'll probably end up buying a better charger.

Oh and the 12 volt wall wart transformer you can plug the charger into instead of the car, only lasted about 10 minues. I'm going to have send it back as an accessory that didn't work.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Tom Nied

Update on my charger. Now I have gotten two charge sessions where the charger green led went to solid green. Either I had to cycle the battery a few times or the small increase on the charge rate adjustment knob made the difference. The calibration (the little triangle on the knob) never pointed correctly originally. So I had lifted it off and replaced it when the knob was full left, figuring that was where the 300mAh position should be, all the rest being relative. Is there a way to test the charge rate? Otherwise, I think its working fine now. [sm=72_72.gif] Got a 49 minute flight today (cloudy overcast light wind). Didn't find any real great thermals. What I'd really like is another battery, then I could sit out in the park for two hours when I have marginal conditions.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:14 PM
spirit pilot

Hi Tom
I had the same reaction to the charger the first time I charged the battery on the radian. (This charger cant be working right, its taking way to long!) As it turned out the charger was working fine, it just took a long time to charge the battery the first time. Good Flying
Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 PM
matrix-RCU

Tinkrerpilot,

Negatives?...I can't really think of any considering the price....I got the RTF version...

Was out this morning and charged the battery in my car on the way to the field. When I got there, poped the trunk and was airborn in about 5 min....
At first no good thermals over the plowed field....so I headed over the parking lot....up, up, up to where I had to fight her down again....just awesome.

It seems (any maybe the gliding experts can verify) that the stronger thermals come in once you get above the tree line....

But perfectly trimmed (and I still need to tweak mine a bit) this thing looks like a bird soaring....I'll be out tomorrow with her too...hope my gassers aren't getting jealous

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.