Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

What 1st glider back after 20+ years

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

What 1st glider back after 20+ years

Old 03-25-2016, 12:21 AM
robert4343

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 1st glider back after 20+ years

Hi ok looking at 1st Glider after 20+ years lay off 54 years of age I am looking at around 2m size (78") .
Calypso , Radian Pro Phoenix 2000 & Walrus 1400.
I have been given a Trunigy flight stabilization & have 2 near new Trunigy 2200 3s batteries.
I will be going ARF that way I can pick my servos etc.
I am not really interested in the Bix 1 , 2 & 3 I really dont like look etc.
Any other gliders?
1 thing about Calypso I cant get in Australia & I cost a fair bit to ship here to Oz . The Walrus is very tight for battery space ( I know it should have a 1500 )
Radian is it a bad choice for beginner & I thought of gluing wings to getter & using rubber bands rather than screws to hold it on for rough landings.
Any ideas etc thanks
Old 03-25-2016, 08:13 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I suspect you'll be surprised at how quickly it comes back. Just think ahead to what you're doing and after a half dozen flights most of the old skills will be back. And within a half dozen days out to the field it'll be like you never set it aside.

So I wouldn't sweat the screws vs rubber bands thing too much. The bigger issue will be that all important first flight where you're not sure of where the trim is. Some jogging into a decent breeze to "feel" the model flying in your hand and setting the trim so it's lifting to where it's light but not trying to pry itself out of your grip will go a long way to avoiding a "funny" at the first launch.

One thing I note is that your choices are all aileron gliders. If you're worried about your own abilities it might be wise to opt for one of the rudder and elevator models and skip the ailerons and flaps for this first re-entry effort.

In particular the Calypso and Walrus are smaller than 2m. The Walrus very much so. If the goal is to find and fly in thermals as you get your skills awoken these smaller models will be more limiting. And they certainly won't be as forgiving of any early mistakes.

So all in all even while I'm not a big fan of foam I can't help but think that a regular Radian might fill a good role of getting you back in the groove. And once your old skills are sharpened up THEN look at what you want for the next model. If that turns out to be an aileron glider then I think you'll be better equipped to deal with all the added factors that come with ailerons and flaps.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:45 AM
robert4343

Hi thanks for that . 1 main problem with the Radian its $100+ dear here in Oz compared to most gliders. I am not that keen on flaps anyway& yes about the Walrus a bit small. I have looked for some 3 ch gliders in foam etc but seem to very thin other than the radian. I saw 1 at my local club a pro & I wasnt impressed how flimsy the back section of the fuselage / tail was . I seen how people have strengthened this but I am not that impressed when it cost approx $ 100 more than say Phoenix here in Oz.
I used to fly a 2 ch glider years ago the CG Gentle Lady . Any other 3ch gliders you can recommend in foam or such?. I hope to go balsa / fibreglass latter when I can fly better & landings etc.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:42 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a bit hesitant to go shopping here for your needs since as you pointed out products that are priced well here might be way over the top where you are. The Radian being an example.

You've also hit on why I'm not a big fan of the currently popular molded foam models. I'd likely end up suggesting a balsa model that is similar to a Gentle Lady for your needs over a foam option. But again not knowing what product lines are less costly in your part of the world there's not much point in searching.

Instead check around for yourself and find a few that look good price wise and post them.

I wouldn't worry about the fuselage being too skinny to use your 2200mah 3S packs. For just getting back into the swing of things you can always look at an external under wing mount or similar if there is simply no way to fit them inside. Or possibly cutting a clearance hole and adding an external fairing would not be out of the question.

And if you're keen on using these larger size packs then sticking with an honest size 2m wing span is going to affect the flying less from the added bulk and weight.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Jennifer Curtis

Flying will come back quickly. The only thing
that will likely be a problem is judging your
landing point, either overshooting your target,
or falling short. If your field is big enough
you will just be walking a lot. If the field
is small, you might consider a plane that is
more durable or easy to fix, like foam.

Jenny
Old 03-28-2016, 09:16 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

I have a Calypso and am very happy with the soaring performance. In fact I have won two ALES contests with it. If not familiar with ALES, you get a 30 second motor run or up to 200 meter altitude and then thermal for 9:30 for a total flight time of 10:00 with a spot landing.

That at being said the Calypso does have its little quirks. For one with the reccomended 1300 mah battery it tends to come out nose heavy. I run a 850 mah pack. Having no down thrust it will climb like crazy under power so I have a down elevator mix while under power. Once in glide mode with the power off the Calypso has great directional stability, reads lift well and will soar with the best of them. I do suggest installing the flaps and using a radio that allows camber mixing to get the most out of it. The nice thing is that you can add those later after you become reacquainted with flying. I didn't like the black canopy and decals so I added a little paint to mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2154781  
Old 03-28-2016, 10:24 AM
robert4343

Hi thanks all I gone with the Radian ( not pro) Speed yor Calypso looks sweet, I myself do plan on remoing stickers & painting wings tips diffrent colour so I can pick left & right quick. Like red & green left / right like the wing tip lights on full size. I always rember ( was told 3 short) left red port
I seen on youtube a person used a normal Radian & cut ailerons / flaperons on his Radian. I ten to do that latter when I get better