Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Glider recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:17 PM
wagspe208
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glider recomendations

So, I have been in and out of the hobby for 30 years. I have been more of a heli guy lately. A little injury has obviously limited heli flying abilities...So, just for kicks, and some mental health I am looking for a glider.
I am a "I love the looks guy", and I am a capable winged pilot. So, I like the looks of the eflite Allusive. It looks cool, electric power. BUT, it also looks to be almost an 800 dollar adventure.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodId=EFL4925I
I was browsing and I also like the looks of the hobby king Tanager. As a general rule I am not a hobby king guy... personal reasons... but it looks cool... small...etc...CHEAP. I would electric power it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lider_PNP.html
I have always liked the flying wing style... I live in the country... plenty of room to fly in the back yard...and land.
I have a jr 9503 radio, charger, etc....
SO, it mainly boils down to flying characteristics... and how much cash I am willing to spend. I am not a fan of foamies.... and this is from the ones 30 years ago... this is a stupid reason...
BUT, I might be convinced to try one.
I want something that can be zippy, but also manageable with current hand issue.
Thanks
Wags
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hand short.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	2174092  

Last edited by wagspe208; 07-23-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:27 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Man I am really sorry about that hand deal....

I would try to hit some local RC airplane swap meets and auctions.The type of plane you are talking about usually shows up and sell reasonable. Sometimes it a fun outing to drive halfway across the state to a sale, and you end up getting some nice things you wanted, or hadn't even thought about wanting.

Just research the sales to see which ones have a good turnout.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:30 PM
wagspe208

THAT is actually an excellent idea.... I am bored to tears cause off work for a few weeks too!
Thanks
Wags
Old 07-24-2016, 07:45 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first Glider?

Success is one requirement. Want to have more success staying aloft? Don't get less than a 2m wingspan glider.

Staying away from cheap also insures success.

So consider the Vista ARF @ Tower. It's $130, is 3M, and comes with motor and ESC. and is backed by Tower. you need a couple of servos and a RX. Last time out I had to spin down from 1000' on the first flight (30sec climb to 350') when a Cessna came around.

You'll find that thermal hunting is quite enjoyable, but having something that can actually cover some ground while hunting for them matters. Getting something with size enough to hunt far enough and long enough is what matters. 2M is right where that ability starts.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXENWS&P=ML
Old 07-24-2016, 07:50 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, the OEM motor and esc have proven to be good.

One of the Vista flyers at the field swapped out motor and esc because he assumed they would be marginal. They aren't. His first replacement purchases came from.... you guessed it. And when they sucked and started giving problems he went for name brand (from Tower at least). And said the other day how he could have saved the money.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:43 AM
wagspe208

My first glider was probably 1980 ish. I progressed from there over the years to having 3 or 4 ultimate biplanes and tons of stuff in between... so I can fly.
I am looking for something that has the capability to be zippy.... but also docile due to hand mess.
Thanks
Wags
Old 07-24-2016, 12:01 PM
wagspe208

THAT plane is damn near it. It if had ailerons I'd be ordering it now.
Anything close? Not expensive, not a foamie, all goo.
Wags
Old 07-25-2016, 04:04 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Look at the Hobby King Phoenix 2000,