Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Peck Polymers Genesis build

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Heartland
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peck Polymers Genesis build

I've had this kit for a few years now, framed up the wings a while back, put in on a shelf, and finally brought it out again, inspired to finish it this time. Pic shows the current state of the airplane. The kit wasn't bad, die cutting was fair, and there is a lot of carving and sanding to do on the fuselage, but it's so small that it's quick to accomplish. I'm at the point where I need to decide on the control system. Elevons are an obvious requirement, but the rudder is optional. I'm open to thoughts on if the rudder is even necessary on this plane and if so how to hook it up (coupled to ailerons or not). If used, the manual states 40-45 deg's throw each way (!!!). And it's a big rudder. All or nothing I guess! As far as elevon mixing goes, you can use radio mixing, the dubro mixer, or build a sliding tray.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72356.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	534250  
Old 10-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Heartland

Default RE: Peck Polymers Genesis build

Anybody out there with any ideas??? This glider forum is kind of quiet. Maybe I need to title this thread "157 in. glider on ebay" That thread is off and running. Just kidding. I'll probably just go with elevons, no rudder, if no one has any advice to give. I'll try to post a few more pictures as I get the glider finished and flying. There aren't really any good slope sites around where I live, although I spoke with another glider guy in the are who suggested sloping off the sand dunes at the beach which are maybe 30 ft. high. That should be a challenge. I don't know how well this airplane would thermal.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Thom

Why would you want to add the weight and complexity of the rudder.

w
Old 11-27-2006, 02:58 AM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

If youve got 30' slopes and some wind you should be able to fly. I'd say forget the rudder, and concentrate on dialing in the CG and differential to get clean turning performance, since thats going to be the difference between staying up and going for a walk.

You can also build a "zip start" which is similar to a high start, but the tow hook is relocated near the nose, and the idea is to get the maximum speed, d a trick or two, and come back down for another launch. Double the rubber from a standard hi-start and it should go pretty fast. A zip start is fun when the sope lift isnt cooperating.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Scott Lister

I have one and it really doesn't fly that great with out the rudder. I built it without and then changed it over and got a much better flying airplane.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:23 AM
y2zulu

Heartland,

I wouldn't worry about the tumbleweed silence you received from your initial post. I had a very similar experience recently.

Very cool flying wing! You may want to read and understand this article before deciding against the rudder:

http://www.polecataero.com/articles/...hermal-flying/

Best of luck and please post some flying photos when you're done.

Mike
Old 01-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Heartland

Thanks for the responses guys. Thought I'd check the thread and what do you know you guys spoke up. I just figured nobody has this airplane. The glider project got shelved while I finished restoring a car, but that's done for now so I'm going to get back on the Genesis soon. I'll post some pics once I get some covering on it. I might call Peck Polymers and see what their thoughts are on the rudder.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Heartland

Scott, is your rudder coupled to the elevons or operated separately? How much throw do you have?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:37 PM
s14slide

I saw one of those hanging on the wall at my LHS, and I thought it was the coolest looking bird in there. Your thread is what showed the light on what it was, being that the shop owner didn't even know what it was. He had recieved it from a friend about 10 years ago and he didn't know much about it. I've been wanting to build one of these ever since I saw it, but I unfortunately do not have the time or space to build a kit. Eventually I will, so keep us posted on what you do and how she flys, I'll definately know where to look for references. Is there any particulars to the build, or is it pretty straight forward? Can't wait to hear/see how it flys! Oh, and give us some more pics.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:10 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heart,
I'd try it with just the elevons. Take slopemeno's advice and dial in your CG and differential right and this should be a great flyer. Let us know how it goes. This is one of those "I've-been-meaning-to-build-that-one-for-a-long-time" kits for me. Best of luck with it.

papermache
Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Heartland

Allright, I'm back on this kit. Got the wings joined as well as the torque rods installed. Decided to go with just elevons for now, since I only plan on slope soaring with it. I'll try and get some pictures tonight.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Heartland

Here's a picture of the servos. Since I'll be using my old futaba 4 channel conquest radio with no mixing, I decided to build the sliding tray shown in the plans. Yes, an archaic method, but what the heck, right? I'll be laying fiberglass over the wing center section tonight, and should be covering tomorrow.

Name:	Qo39685.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	613144  
Old 02-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Tall Paul

I put the elevon servos in the wing in mine, and added the rudder after flying it for awhile. It was a reluctant roller without the rudder assist.. but would loop all day!

Name:	Qo39109.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	613583  
Old 02-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Heartland

Great pic, and thanks for the heads up about the rudder. I've already glued things together, so I'll at least try it without the rudder, but sounds like I might end up changing things back. How much throw did you use? I'd assume you probably slaved the rudder to the aileron channel, instead of operating it separately, right?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Tall Paul

I used a seperate channel for the rudder, and could use it or not as I wanted.
When I used the seperate aileron servos instead of the fuselage mounted style, I found out something interesting.. the wing broke at the rib at the inboard end of the elevon. Apparently the torque tube normally used stiffened the wing against bending! I had to add a spar on the bottom from the center out to the elevon spar.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Tall Paul

Couple more inflight photos..

Name:	Ge94813.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	614433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98751.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	614434  
Old 02-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Heartland

thanks again for the pics, tallpaul! well, my sliding tray isn't going to work so great. since each servo only has one screw on each end, it allows the bars to skew a bit when they're pushed on, and they wedge themselves on the music wire, essentially jamming the elevator. the only way the slider bars would hold themselves nice and square is if i had made a plywood platform with slider blocks on the bottom. so i'm going to have to change things. i might try and copy the dubro mixer with some bits from the hardware bin. i'm finish sanding tonight and should be covering if i feel like staying up late.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Tall Paul

GWS makes an electronic mixer the servos are plugged into, and the mixer into the receiver.
It works fine.
The Dubro works OK, but the electronic thing is better.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Heartland

Here's a pic of the mixer I made from miscellaneous bits of hardware. Basically a copy of the dubro mixer shown in the manual. so the sliding tray jammed up on me, and I'm beginning to think that this mixer might have too much slop. I might end up tearing this one out as well and just using my computer radio. i'm going to do some covering and think about it. I should be flying this thing by now...

Name:	Hf97659.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	616246  
Old 02-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Heartland

Pic of the fuselage

Name:	Rp42431.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	617888  
Old 02-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Heartland

Almost done! Still have to hook up pushrods, install receiver/battery/switch, and balance. i'm going to try and fly it tomorrow afternoon weather permitting. the manual says to use a high start with 1/4" flat rubber. i think i'll just use a regular high start and not stretch it too much. maybe i'll make a light hi-start next week.

Name:	Db83773.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	618074  
Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Heartland

well, i flew it finally. it is pretty sluggish in roll without the rudder. other than that, it flew well. just short hand launches today. i tried to launch it with a friend's hi-start. forget about it. a rudder would be a huge help there. the manual shows some weird bridle, with two hooks on each wing root. not sure why a single hook on the fuselage wouldn't work if i had a rudder. i got a little carried away with my hand launches and one one toss it went almost straight up... and straight down. cracked some parts in one of the wings, but that's all. servos in the wing is a great idea as well, that's probably something i'll change right away.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:42 PM
arquiteciro

Good Afternoon:
I am writting from Manizales, Colombia, South America.
In this city the hobby of rc airplanes it´s really strong because our
land conditions, the city is placed in the middle of a mountain range.
All the stuff that we use here has been bought at U.S.A; you
are our main and almost unique supplier of r/c stuff.

In those days I have seen some pictures of the Genesis Flying wing in an internet discussion group, and I think that it´s a beautiful r/c sailplane. I am really interested in acquaire a copy of the plans (main reason it´s the distance, some plans in dxf format or scanned images of the original plan could help me a lot).

My emails are: [email protected] or [email protected]

I really appreciate the attention to this message and i´ll hope your
prompt answer and once again thank you so much

Ciro Diaz
From Manizales / Caldas / Colombia / South America.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Heartland

the plans are pretty cut up at this point. i don't have a way of scanning them, either. i could take a picture of them, i suppose. truthfully, that would probably be enough. if you've built several airplanes, it wouldn't be tough to just make something with the same general proportions and end up with a reasonable flying airplane.

this thread has links to sites with all kinds of free plans, you might be able to find something similar and adapt it to your liking.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1563599/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1563599/tm.htm[/link]

you should still be able to buy the genesis kit, i don't think peck-polymers is out of business.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 PM
KitBuilder

Anyone who responded to this thread.. do we know the wing loading assuming modern equipment.. no slideing trays, etc.. What airfoil is it in general terms.. it looks semi symetrical from some pics of the fuse wing saddles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.