RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

3 meter glider recommendation?

Old 09-24-2016, 04:12 PM
flier60103

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 3 meter glider recommendation?

I'm a flat lander in the Midwest of the US. Currently flying a Solius with about 300 watts of power. It does decent basic acrobatics but I think it's a bit too heavy to catch a thermal. Or I'm too inexperienced. Flights are 20 minutes with a 3s2200 battery I enjoy gliders more than pure power planes.
I've been looking for a new plane in the 3 meter area. Either you go for max thermal performance with built up wings and low weight or a plane with sheeted foam/glass/carbon wings and usually a bit more overall weight. You give up thermal performance to strong wings that can withstand mild acrobatics. Makes sense. On that note, the Sirius (3 M) sheeted foam/glass seems attractive to me. I will put at least 500 watts of power using the recommended motor.

anybody have eave any experience with this plane? Any Sirius owners?
Old 11-20-2016, 06:22 AM
longsoar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry but I am not a Sirius owner. Never owned one.
In general it all depends on your personal preferences. If you're into pure soaring, then you don't need a lot of motor power.
500 watts of motor power will bring a heavy glider high and fast. My 2.3 Kg 3.1 meter wingspan glider has max 420 watts (I use about 300 watts) and it has pretty good climb ratio. Speaking of soarer, not a hotrod.

I'd say the most important part is how much you're willing to spend. Based on that select the airframe.
Also, ARF or RTF glider is a personal choice. I do not see many RTF gliders with enough soaring performance, most of them are a small foamy BNF's.

I did build from the scratch and kits. Although pre-built glass ships is my current personal preference. They fly great and most are very high quality. Once you get one it will be hard to get back to foamy or home built.
I do not want to promote any particular brand and you can do a search on the Internet yourself.
Keep in-mind, initial investment will last you long enough (unless you're just learning to fly) so, cheap models may (or may not) become more expensive over time.
Spending a 2 grand sometimes cheaper than buying a 300 bucks glider. Your mileage may vary.

Just a thoughts.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 12-06-2016, 05:40 PM
dgregg65

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want to catch thermals you need to focus on weight. You want 6 to 8 oz wing loading per square foot for good thermal performance. A good thermal airplane will not be good for aerobatics. Thermal soaring is all about relaxed mid day floating across the sky at SLOW speeds. The Bird of Time ARF is a good 3m plane. The riser 100 is a kit but a very good thermal plane also.

Slope soaring planes are heavier but take advantage of high speeds looping into the oncoming wind in a process called dynamic soaring. I am a flat lander. You are a flat lander. Go for the slow. My best 2m glider is powered with a mere 175 watts of max power.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:25 PM
flier60103

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, you're right. You can't get a glass/foam/sheeted plane (EPP or Elapor foam) near 8oz/sq.ft. The Mystique might be a decent entry level thermal chaser, I think. BOT too. There are many ARFs from Europe that hit the magic 7 oz/sq.ft. or less data point.

I'm still leaning towards an acrobatic glider. I may go with a 2M Flip from TopModel. I'm moving to Florida soon but that, too, is another very flat land. Few hills. There is steady wind at times. The birds seem to have no problem soaring under those conditions. The Flip is quite acrobatic and should be fun. Either 3 or 4 cells with the right prop will get you into the right place.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:45 AM
CLBAKER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Vista BL from Tower is a good bird in the wind and ok on a calm day and I live in Wyoming. I've had mine up well over 30 minutes on a lite wind day temp around 50 F.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:51 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CL, I have read the ESC is a failure point with the Vista. Has this improved?