Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Vista BL electric pushrods and hinges

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Tower Hobbies Vista BL electric pushrods and hinges

Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 AM
JGalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies Vista BL electric pushrods and hinges

Two issues,
During assembly, I noticed the elevator pushrod had tremendous friction. Investigation revealed the presence of three pushrod (cases) sheaths. The elevator pushrod was in a sheath running along the top of the fuselage (next to the rudder pushrod sheath) creating a bow in the pushrod thus the friction. I moved the pushrod to a sheath located along the fuselage floor and found it moves effortlessly. I assume during factory assembly they messed up and rather than taking the time to remove the incorrect sheath, they simply added a third one and didn’t take the time to reposition the elevator pushrod to the correct sheath.
Question: I am concerned the third (empty) pushrod sheath will viberate when flying. It is well glued in and can’ t be removed. Ideas?
Second issue: I am an old timer returning to RC have never seen tape used for hinges. The rudder is slightly misaligned due to a sloppy tape job. Looking at the rudder from front to rear of the aircraft, the upper portion is misaligned to the right about 1/8th inch and the bottom 1/8th inch to the left.
Question: I was thinking of re-hinging it but the balsa material is very thin. Or should I just not worry about it? Ideas?
Old 06-11-2018, 02:30 PM
JGalt

Originally Posted by JGalt
Two issues,
During assembly, I noticed the elevator pushrod had tremendous friction. Investigation revealed the presence of three pushrod (cases) sheaths. The elevator pushrod was in a sheath running along the top of the fuselage (next to the rudder pushrod sheath) creating a bow in the pushrod thus the friction. I moved the pushrod to a sheath located along the fuselage floor and found it moves effortlessly. I assume during factory assembly they messed up and rather than taking the time to remove the incorrect sheath, they simply added a third one and didn’t take the time to reposition the elevator pushrod to the correct sheath.
Question: I am concerned the third (empty) pushrod sheath will viberate when flying. It is well glued in and can’ t be removed. Ideas?
Second issue: I am an old timer returning to RC have never seen tape used for hinges. The rudder is slightly misaligned due to a sloppy tape job. Looking at the rudder from front to rear of the aircraft, the upper portion is misaligned to the right about 1/8th inch and the bottom 1/8th inch to the left.
Question: I was thinking of re-hinging it but the balsa material is very thin. Or should I just not worry about it? Ideas?
Quick update: I gave up on getting help from the manufacturer and wrestled the extra pushrod sheath from the fuselage. It was ugly but no damage. The help I need is with the tape hinge. It is misaligned slightly. Is this something I should worry about or just trim it out in the air? The balsa is very thin and I guess I could hinge it but not sure.
Thanks for your help!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Al Stein

I think that if you can deal with how the rudder looks being off kilter that way, I don't think it'll hurt how the plane flies.

Otherwise if you do find yourself straightening it, you can probably get it to come loose by heating where the tape is attached to the rudder and fin, then clean up with MEK (or worst case acetone) and rehinge (I'd use covering to redo the hinge)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:57 AM
JGalt

Al, first I want to thank you for responding. I greatly appreciate your time and expertise. Okay, I will maiden fly it next week as is and see how she handles. If it becomes a problem, I will certainly do the straightening per your instructions. Again, thank you.
John