RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Receiver / ESC Placement

Old 09-11-2019, 12:29 PM
ButteredCat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Receiver / ESC Placement

I have an AVA Pro 4m electric thermal glider. I was looking to rearrange the gear in order to have the room to use different size lipos and have them on (or close to) the CG in order to vary the weight as required.
But to do that I would need to mount the receiver and ESC right next to each other. I wondered about the wisdom of doing this, fearing possible interference, so did a little research on the internet - but found some conflicting information. Some say mount them as far apart as possible. But others say that's old advice and these days with 2.4ghz there is no issue.
So does anybody here have any advice or experience with this issue?
The aerials will be mounted outside the fuselage.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:50 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an electric powered Supra Pro which uses an almost identical fuselage. I would never run a receiver right on top of the ESC. What I did was I mounted my receiver on a sheet of thin plastic about 1" wide and 8" long. The receiver was mounted so that the antennas were at one end and the receiver on the other. This was done so that when I slid the receiver into place between the wing and canopy the antennas which went in first would not bunch up. Since your fuselage is Kevlar running the antennas inside is not an issue. Of course always do range checks motor off and then on prior to flying.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:57 PM
ButteredCat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
What I did was I mounted my receiver on a sheet of thin plastic about 1" wide and 8" long.
This is the same idea I came up with to mount the lipo under the wing on the CG. Velcro holding the lipo to the top of the strip, then more velcro under the strip holding that to the fuselage. Because space is so tight it can't go anywhere.

I've now mounted the receiver as far back in the fuselage as possible with the lipo in front of that.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:05 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What size Lipo are you using? Mine balances just fine with a 850. If you are using anything bigger that may explain why your CG is better with the battery in the back.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:57 AM
ButteredCat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
What size Lipo are you using? Mine balances just fine with a 850. If you are using anything bigger that may explain why your CG is better with the battery in the back.
The previous owner was flying it with a 2200. I started by using that too, then used an 1800, then a 1300. In order to go lower that that I needed to make changes.
My thought was, if I had the lipo on the CG I could experiment with different size lipos.
I could also vary the size of the lipo if, for example, if I felt I needed extra weight as ballast for windier conditions.